Wet/dry, Flower/veg, 35mg Sample Size, Test For Cbd At Home (reliable And Accurate!)

• Thread starter Douglas.C
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Long time no see, ;)

Someone posted a crude tech on how to test for CBD. The cannabis community desperately needs a quick and simple way to check for CBD, as well as a way to compare CBD levels of one plant to another. I spent a few weeks tearing the tech down and refining it.

Please share this with as many cannabis community members as possible. The full write up with photos is here... https://steemit.com/cbd/@thecleanga...cbd-indicator-test-clear-and-accurate-results

Briefly, here is a rundown of the process:

- 1 dram vial with tight lid
- Add 500mg of pure sodium hydroxide
- Add 35mg of dry cannabis
- Half fill vial with 91% Isopropyl alcohol
- Cap tightly and shake gently for 2 minutes (Make sure everything is moving)
- Fill to shoulder with 50% Isopropyl alcohol
- Cap tightly and shake gently for 2 minutes
- Open and add 250mg of activated charcoal granules (pellets and powder are not as effective)
- Let sit for 2 minutes

Purple indicates CBD. The more purple, the higher the CBD content. Accurately weighing samples, cleaning your scissors between tests, precisely timing your test steps, all add up to a highly accurate test result. 3 tests per plant are recommended, waiting an additional 10 minutes gives full color indication. You can compare tests to each other and see which one is darkest.

You're Welcome! :D

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Long time no see, ;)

Someone posted a crude tech on how to test for CBD. The cannabis community desperately needs a quick and simple way to check for CBD, as well as a way to compare CBD levels of one plant to another. I spent a few weeks tearing the tech down and refining it.

Please share this with as many cannabis community members as possible. The full write up with photos is here... https://steemit.com/cbd/@thecleanga...cbd-indicator-test-clear-and-accurate-results

Briefly, here is a rundown of the process:

- 1 dram vial with tight lid
- Add 700mg of pure sodium hydroxide
- Add 35mg of dry cannabis
- Half fill vial with 91% Isopropyl alcohol
- Cap tightly and shake gently for 2 minutes (Make sure everything is moving)
- Fill to shoulder with 50% Isopropyl alcohol
- Open and add 250mg of activated charcoal granules (pellets and powder are not as effective)
- Let sit for 2 minutes

Purple indicates CBD. The more purple, the higher the CBD content. Accurately weighing samples, cleaning your scissors between tests, precisely timing your test steps, all add up to a highly accurate test result. 3 tests per plant are recommended, waiting an additional 10 minutes gives full color indication. You can compare tests to each other and see which one is darkest.

You're Welcome! :D
I dig it... under 10 minutes at home

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

HA!

I just pulled my cannatonic 4 HP pheno down. Gonna test it, if I have a 1 dram vial. .

Dried out or nicely cured herb do you suggest?

I have 6 new cbd seeds I'm working now. How can I test veg material to get a cbd reading? It would save quite a bit of time.

Just ordered more stuff to do this.

Last edited:
Douglas.C

Douglas.C

I'm thinking a dry sample test is the most accurate. Cut samples of each plant, leaf from the same spot on each leaf, (enough for 3 tests of each), label and dry the samples completely. Powder/Crush the samples and weigh out exact measures of 35mg.

Clean scissors, accurate measurements and using a timer for the shaking times will get you very accurate results. Let us know how it goes, the wave is just beginning. :)

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

ARGH!

That should read 500mg of sodium hydroxide. I copied the note from the wrong test. Everything else is accurate and I'm unable to edit the OP. My apologies for any inconvenience. The 700mg gets warmer and you also end up with too much in the solution. The test is much clearer with 500mg.

Again, my apologies for any inconvenience.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

This is the result of some testing I did this evening. I waited till the sun went down, so all photos are the same light level. :) The Cannatonic and Blue Ox cross were grown from seed. No testing was done on them at the time, and the samples are at least a couple years old. Tsue is still rocking the Purple, the others didn't do so well.

Anyone else? :D

Comparison Fresh and at 8 Minutes
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

20180120 192020
Got my stuff in the mail today.

I'l give it a go later tonight. I habe a cannatonic 4 cbd HP pheno (flowers), and 6 new cbd strains I'm working now. I also just bought 4g of cbd isolate. Ill test that as well.

I get the .35g of material (flower), how much materialmif I wanted to test a leaf while in veg? My 6 are still in the veg/test room

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

View attachment 772588 Got my stuff in the mail today.

I'l give it a go later tonight. I habe a cannatonic 4 cbd HP pheno (flowers), and 6 new cbd strains I'm working now. I also just bought 4g of cbd isolate. Ill test that as well.

I get the .35g of material (flower), how much materialmif I wanted to test a leaf while in veg? My 6 are still in the veg/test room
Awesome, can't wait to see you do this with your known cbd

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I can either do a flower test sample, iso extract, or leaf sample from my 4'er in veg still.

Edit
I was about to give it a go, but I already put all the cbd flowers in freezer (60%rh going in) in prep for my iso or etoh. Hope the water don' fak it up. I will also need to dilute my 99%iso down to 91 and 50%. That should be interesting. Glad I was great with math. I think ill go buy 91 and 50g vs make it and askew the results. Hope Douglas replies with a fan leaf weight vs using my slim picking yield c4 flower.

Last edited:
str8smokn

str8smokn

View attachment 772813 View attachment 772815 I had instant purple the instant I added 91%. The pic is less than 2 mins after final 2min shake.

Cannatonic 4 cbd HP pheno flowers used

Hand ripped from plant. Sugar leaves and flower. No trimming.

Nice.
I’m super excited to see how my buddies Charlottes web cross does then.
So are we thinking the darker ,quicker turn ; means higher CBD values?
STR8

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Honestly, about 20 yrs ago, myself and the production company I ran with my buddies during the rave scene time, I used to be the tester at parties and events. I was the ONLY one at the tine with a reagent kit i ordered from Germany to test E pills. Safety 1st when partying. Back then reagent liquid (very caustic!) Was all in 1. Just scrape a little bit of your "item" in a plate, 1 drop of the reagent. Darker purple the cleaner. Instant purple was what was the best.

This reminds me of the same kinda process, and same colors to look for and times.

I' waiting for Douglas to chime in on veg leaf weight to test. Have 6 more plants in line, and some isolate incoming.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

@Douglas.C

I just grabbed 4g of distillate isolate, to test along with 6x leaf samples.

At what weight do You think ill need for the isolate? My guess is .1-.15g
And for leaf samples?

Top Bottom