Wet Towels to raise humidity?

• Thread starter CheebaMonkey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CheebaMonkey

As the winter rolls in humidity is dropping into the 20s. My grow box is small so I think if I hang a wet towel in there it should help but I'm worried about mildew. Has anyone tried this? Last thing I need is mildew.

C

CheebaMonkey

I got one already man. It only raised humidity by about 2%.

B

Buddy Flowers

is it new? have u checked the filter? i would look into that before putting wet towels in there

C

CheebaMonkey

it's new. I refill the 1 gallon tank every day.

I'm growing in my basement so I'm contending with the furnace. I know it's not ideal but it's the only space I have.

St3ve

St3ve

Add a whole house humidifier to your main furnace. They are cheap and effective.

side note.. if the humidity in your house is 20% then its probably not very comfortable for people living there as well. Scratchy eyes, nose, nose bleeds ect.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Are you running a exhaust fan?

I turn off the exhuast fan, put towel in tray of water with fan behind it. use a pump to keep the water recirculating on the towel.

Works for me in small area. But this area is using t5 and not getting very hot (70-74f) so that may be why I am having success.

I cycle the exhaust fan to keep some air flow and prevent mold. A small humidifier can also raise humidity in that same area but only if I turn off the exhaust.

If I run the fan 24/7 RH goes down to 30-40% or lower if it gets warmer.

I was looking into a commercial humidifier ($250-300)

Thanks for the tip on thew whole house humidifier, looks like a more cost effective solution.

C

CheebaMonkey

well I tried out the towel but it only raised the humidity 1%. I guess the whole house humidifier is my only option. Thanks.

jagle

jagle

hi, im new here and kinda curious as im sure ill be having an issue with humidity when i pop my seeds but what are the consequences of low humidity and high humidity on the plants

420Gator

420Gator

sure ill get a disagreement but my humidity is super low, sometimes not even registering on the readout and i think the plants love it. i do foliar feed alot in veg

S

Steve Z

yeah wet towels dont work. they just allow mold spores to be more likely to enter your garden.

sometimes i'll overfeed and water will drain outta my tray, i'll use paper towels to let it all soak up.

man i'll have a whole roll in there soakin it all up and it increases humidity by maybe 4-5% TOPS.

humidifier. cheap as hell nowadays

S

Steve Z

thats asking for moldy shit too, dont keep your plants wet in a dry environment.

get a huey

devious d

devious d

i used the wet towel trick in the summer seamaiden suggested it to me worked perfect but that was only my veg cupboard raised it by over 20%

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
<Sea peeks in to say hello>

Higher RH = better vapor pressure deficit numbers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom