@Rolln_J
Supporter
we were atrting to think youd never come back and clear up the mystery

bitchen it can be smoked and eaten - would like to give that a try

S

StickyIckys

we were atrting to think youd never come back and clear up the mystery

bitchen it can be smoked and eaten - would like to give that a try

oh yeah i like both. licking it off my fingers is more practical for me through out the day but put it in a bowl and hit it with the flame for just a second and it like settles into the bowl while you smoke it. Then it's gone. Haha. I just licked my fingers a bit ago :)

K

keyplay

oh yeah i like both. licking it off my fingers is more practical for me through out the day but put it in a bowl and hit it with the flame for just a second and it like settles into the bowl while you smoke it. Then it's gone. Haha. I just licked my fingers a bit ago :)

How about a recipe for making this, Sticky? Your pile of oil looks like the kind of medicine that would be very useful to myself and others who are sensitive to combustible "irritants" :RastaBong:

squarepusher

squarepusher

sounds good sticky. Do you have a source for the Hexane you use?

K

kuz

I thought we would be left in suspense. So you steep it for 7 days? Wow.

S

StickyIckys

How about a recipe for making this, Sticky? Your pile of oil looks like the kind of medicine that would be very useful to myself and others who are sensitive to combustible "irritants" :RastaBong:

I feel ya. I can use this anytime and I'm fine. No anxiety, which I'm prone to, bad. No jitters. Nothing. If it wasn't "cooked" properly there would be a combustible solvent there (wouldn't blow you up or anything) but you would smell and taste it. Honestly, 7 days is overkill. 3-4 seems to be good but 7 is to make sure ya know. As soon as I can though I'll be buying a co2 super critical extraction so it's 100% pure no matter what. They are pricey though.

sounds good sticky. Do you have a source for the Hexane you use?

It's pretty simple. With any "solvent" you have to dissolve. I have not experimented with dissolution times or anything yet it's just sort of a when there is time to drain - which turns into 3, 4, 5 even 7 day soak times. Chemically speaking, once it's dissolved, it's dissolved. It doesn't take that amount of time, though. I was hoping to try set time frames but just haven't had a chance yet. 2nd, even 3rd soaks are good as well. I think a 2nd soak is important but a 3rd isn't really. What seems to be more important is a "rinse". After the first soak everything is already dissolved. Oils might get left behind during draining but all they really need is a shower/rinse (which really in turn negates the 2nd soak, but only if you have enough rinsing done). More surface area allows for faster evaporation time (pyrex dish; pyrex bowls from walmart work better for end spooning but slower for evaporating time). Then it's just whenever you're comfortable with "when it's done". I'm sensitive to a shit ton of stuff....had hives all over my body from (huge ones) laundry softener when i was like 10 (seems like forever ago :) )....I walk on grass for a couple of minutes and my feet itch. Anyway, I'm good with it after 7 days. You can smell it and there's no solvent. It just smells like an oil. Just a straight oil, which is what it is. Basically pure thc/cbd/cbn etc extract. Other than color same as BHO, and of course the purity (IMO).

With co2 extraction it becomes more of a process of extracting the oil itself than the final cooking (which actually doesn't need to be done really). You have to run the material multiple, multiple times (up to 40-50 times) very quickly through a series of chambers and gadgets (I love chemistry but I'm not about to explain it right now) to get the oil out. It does work similar to butane in that it's not as much a solvent as that it freezes everything (I mean everything!) and "pushes" the oil out...which then runs out. In the end, the process I use (overall time for soaking and cooking) is MORE than what would be used for co2 extraction.....since there is no real cooking process. We are breathing co2 right now. It evaporates instantly and even breathing a little in won't hurt us in any way.

Sorry I know I got a little off topic there.

I thought we would be left in suspense. So you steep it for 7 days? Wow.

Like I just wrote, I think it's overkill...but no one complains :) As with everything we do I don't feel the need, or desire, to half ass it. It doesn't take that much extra effort to do things right. I've started to use this oil in my butter instead of my full melt now. I don't skimp out on it either. 1/2 gram of this is more than 1g of full melt, no doubt. We are in the process of making creams with a friend of mine who supplies major, major outlets we all probably go to (at least in CA) on a daily basis with creams....used with oil. Edibles: oil.

Anyway, I could rant on forever.

In the end, it's awesome

:afroweed:

B

Blegit21

Hexane!

I'm stoked to see a legit post about someone really benefiting from hexane extraction.ive been trying to get a more golden color with my hexane extracts, Ive been tweaking a lot of things and havnt gotten as golden of stuff lately but still a very nice amber orange. Big ups on the extract, stickyickys, that pic in your first post is a nice pic of a lot of goodness no doubt!

S

StickyIckys

I'm stoked to see a legit post about someone really benefiting from hexane extraction.ive been trying to get a more golden color with my hexane extracts, Ive been tweaking a lot of things and havnt gotten as golden of stuff lately but still a very nice amber orange. Big ups on the extract, stickyickys, that pic in your first post is a nice pic of a lot of goodness no doubt!

i'll try and get some pics of just a thin layer in a dish. when spread out it is a very golden/amber color. however, like i said, once you start stacking it up even a little at a time it becomes sooooo dark.

B

Blegit21

i'll try and get some pics of just a thin layer in a dish. when spread out it is a very golden/amber color. however, like i said, once you start stacking it up even a little at a time it becomes sooooo dark.

Yea I know what you mean, maybe I'll take a pic and we can compare! But for real though, the second you stack it, it does get super dark.

C

cannabinoid

Be careful with hexane, inhaling fumes is carcinogenic

We only work with hexane in a proper fume hood

That said, it is a great non polar solvent with very clean evap. You do get a significant amount of chlorophyll in te end product however

Dunge

Dunge

What to do?
I was drawn into oil extraction by my reading here.
I noticed that the boiling point of butane is 0 deg C.
It was colder than that outside so I did an extraction outside with lab glass.
I was pleased with how easily butane and MJ play together in a jar. And then they separated easily as the solids sink and the loaded butane is simply decanted.
This is where I started having trouble.
Boiling off the butane was too quick, and there was some oil loss due to splatter. I detected this by the outside of the container was sticky.
Everything is sticky.
How do I manage this stuff?
What product I captured is a hard waxy substance that I can only scrape off the glass with a razor.
I imagine that cleanup is done in butane at the start of the next run with dedicated glassware being left encrusted.
This stuff is like finger painting with epoxy.

I

into the light

Where to purchase Hexane

I think that hands down Hexane is the safest cleanest way to make oil.
At least in the hands of non-chemists.
But where can one buy food grade Hexane?
If I could get some I would never touch Butane again.
What is the proper name/classification the the kind we need?
Great thread ITL

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
I think that hands down Hexane is the safest cleanest way to make oil.
At least in the hands of non-chemists.
But where can one buy food grade Hexane?
If I could get some I would never touch Butane again.
What is the proper name/classification the the kind we need?
Great thread ITL

read two posts above, hexane fumes are very bad for you. its not the safest way. it may be as safe as butane, but only if you wear proper gear or fume hood setup stuff going on. butane fumes arent harmful like that.

I

into the light

My Bad......
The last thing I want to do is give out bad information.
I thank you for that and I will do a lot more research before I offer again.
I have had very good success with butane but it's hard to get really clean gas and
it's very expensive. Harder to get the big cans nowadays.....
A friend gave me a half a litre or so of Hexane once. It wasn't enough to really to do much. I guess that was a good thing because I was certainly cavalier in the way I handled it. I hope to have another chance to see what I can make.
Thanks again ITC

C

Chronicale

doesnt look very good to me looks like there is alot of other plant material and waxes in there hence the dark color

Graywolf

Graywolf

I haven't been able to find a MSDS that lists Hexane as a carcinogen.

It does show an ORL-RAT LD50 28700 mg/kg, which would mean ingesting about five pounds of the stuff for a 180 pound man.

Both butane and hexane are simple alkane hydrocarbons.

The alkanes start out with Methane which has one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms. Ethane is two carbons and six hydrogen's, Propane has three carbons and eight hydrogen's, Butane has four carbons and ten hydrogen's, Pentane has five carbons and 12 hydrogen's, Hexane has six carbons and 14 carbons, Heptane has seven, Octane has eight, Nonane nine, Decane ten, Undecane eleven, and Dodecane twelve.

A carbon molecule can hold four bonds and they are all just simple carbon atoms strung together in a chain with hydrogen atoms filling out the remaining bonds.

The only difference between any of them is the number of carbon and hydrogen atoms in the chain, although it does make them slightly less polar as the chains get longer.

For what it's worth, we routinely use a reagent HPLC grade to refine extractions and pick it up at the local science supply store.

I have extracted with hexane but it doesn't work that much better than butane, and is more costly.

Cheaper for me to extract with something else and then use the hexane to refine the concrete or oleoresin into an absolute.

P

pollojack

Just wanted to chime in that hexane is also a neurotoxin, a stronger one than pentane. Additionally, while not called a carcinogen outright, sigma aldrich does say prolonged exposure may damage organs.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Our livers also turn Hexane into 2.5 Hexane Dione, which is listed as a carcinogen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom