What’s going on with the chemical smell in pot these days?

• Thread starter IrishLuck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

IrishLuck

I’m really curious about this and hoping some others can help shed some light on this. If I put this in the wrong category please move it. Bear with me. This sounds like it’s about growing in the beginning but it is more about the final product and how it smelled and smoked.
I used to grow outdoors. Last time I did was about 6 years ago. I grew for 5 seasons. I was totally new at it when I started.
The very last season I grew, it was in California and it was a very hot summer. Over 100 degrees and during flowering it was 95-100 most of the time. My plant and bud quality had improved greatly each year along with my knowledge. Until that last year. The whole time the plants looked great. Tall and full and green and very healthy. I grew some Afgoo, Trainwreck, and OG kush. When they were about a few weeks from harvest I was looking at the buds with a magnified loop. To see if the glands were clear or cloudy, and I noticed a lot of them had burst and made the bud kinda sappy and it had a nasty smell. Never saw this before but like I said it was unusually hot that fall. So I figured the extreme heat was the cause.
The ones that happened to I threw away for the most part. I kept a little to see what happened after it was cured. So then it was time to harvest and I noticed that most of my plants (with the exception of train wreck which came out great) had a nasty chemical smell. I knew I didn’t want it and figured nobody else would either so I threw them out.
I thought a lot about what caused that. I kept grow journals so I read those. I chalked it up to one of three things. The extreme heat during flowering, all the ridiculous Fox Farm nutes that I was adding, or possibly not flushing enough before harvest. Being new to growing I was taking a lot of advice from the local grow shop. They convinced me that I needed a bunch of Fox Farms products. Seemed like way too much crap to be adding, but I did it anyway.

So fast forward 5 years. I moved out of California and moved to southern Oregon
I picked up some indica from the local dispensary, and when I got home I noticed it had a familiar smell. It was the same exact chemical small my grow had. It smelled awful and smoked just as harshly. As time went by between then and now, that chemical smell became more prevalent. Almost every time I went to the dispensary they had that chemical smelling stuff. So I’d just leave. Not knowing many people in town since I was new here it was hard (still is) to find someone to hook up from. To the point I’d go without rather than buy that chemical smelling crap.
A few days ago my girlfriend came to stay with me. She lives in Southern California. She has some friends who are growers so she introduced us. He said he’d send some of his crop up with my girlfriend for me to try. When she gave it me I opened the jar and that chemical smell hit me like a punch in the face! It was strong!!
It got me thinking about it, and I decided to post here about it and see if anyone has any idea what’s going on.
I’ve smoked for 35 years and have never smelled anything like that until that year I grew. Now it seems hard to find anything that doesn’t smell nasty like that.
So does anyone know what I’m talking about?
Anyone else here notice this chemical smell or have any idea what is causing it?
I miss the old skunk smell I’m so used to.

bongsmoker421

bongsmoker421

Man everybody wants that skunk. Isn't it sad that these damn kids have over saturated california with non cali weed? I blame burner and runtz, they only promote sativas and call anything that isn't an OG, an og to spike sales. Their weed smells like old ladies perfume when you walk thru the mall. That's pssycat water, not weed. 😸

Last edited:
Top Bottom