What’s wrong with my plant

• Thread starter Kleinstein
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kleinstein

Kleinstein

I’ll be at 8 full weeks of flowering tomorrow, starting into week nine. I started to flush last week hoping my plant would be ready for harvest. It has always been so vibrant and healthy, minus some minor clawing. Anyway, clawing has gotten much worse this week. Leaves also starting to yellow and seem super thin and cupping downward. I thought maybe Nitrogen toxicity from my soil choice (organic, but claims to have time released nutrients). So, I did a super flush and poured like 3 or more gallons of water through the soil to flush out everything. Soil PH is still sitting around 6.2. After my super flushing episode yesterday, the problem actually seems to have been exacerbated. Has been doing well for so long. What should I do? Is it ready to harvest? Trichomes are still about 60% or more clear. Should I stop flushing and reintroduce my fox farm tiger bloom for another week or so?

Whats wrong with my plant
Whats wrong with my plant 2
Whats wrong with my plant 3
Whats wrong with my plant 4
Whats wrong with my plant 5
Whats wrong with my plant 6
Whats wrong with my plant 7
Whats wrong with my plant 8
Whats wrong with my plant 9
Whats wrong with my plant 10
Whats wrong with my plant 11
Whats wrong with my plant 12
Whats wrong with my plant 13
Reactions: Ina
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You started flushing that plant way too soon, way too many white pistils on that plant plus you've probably half drown it too!? If it were mine I would start feeding it again ..after it dried out

You got to bring a plant to where it's 90+% ripe and then you can worry about flushing, imho a plant doesn't need flushing it needs a taper but that's a different discussion, anyway that's what I would do, good luck!

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

Whats the temperature where you are, could be the soil is heating up in the sun.
Actually they are in a tent. My temps have Been Higher lately as I am dropping humidity pretty low w dehumidifier to try and increase trichome prod. Never gets above 80 but I try to keep it around 77F

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It looked like it was starting to suffer from excess nutrients, in my opinion. Being a Sativa, it isn't unusual for the lower fan leaves to turn yellow as flowering goes on. The flushing probably removed a lot of the excess nutes, but now the leaves will probably yellow more quickly. Feeding isn't recommended at the end of flowering... but if you still have a week or so to go, a very light dose wouldn't hurt, but only if needed. If there are time released nutrients in the soil, you might be good with what yoou have in there already. I'm a fan of "Less is Best", but all grows and growers are different. Good Luck!
On a side note, my Sativa's often turn purplish on the bud leaves and smaller fan leaves when approaching maturity. I see some purple veins in your leaves, so it could be reaching it's end time depending on the strain. Some Sativa's flower for 12 weeks or more, although several factors are involved. Let it finish fully for the best taste and potency. They get fat and greasy during the last week or two!

Last edited:
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

1) all flushing does is stop the overfeeding that so many growers choose to do. Flushing does not remove nutrients from your plant. I think it's just another activity that seems to help because it distracts growers from doing harmful stuff. Like coconut water and molasses. Don't overfeed, for one.

2) The curled down leaves may actually be from drowning the roots with your flushing. I haven't seen it much in plants this large, but if that plant was 10 in tall, we'd all be going "overwatering".

3) those time release nutrients are released by water. So the flushing may have actually contributed to burning.

4) the essence of organic grow is slow and continued release of nutes. They don't flush out. Mix them, as you have, with an additional time release, and you have a time bomb.

I like a fairly neutral soil, and weekly feedings of a highly soluble mix like Botanicare. Simplifies things.

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

It looked like it was starting to suffer from excess nutrients, in my opinion. Being a Sativa, it isn't unusual for the lower fan leaves to turn yellow as flowering goes on. The flushing probably removed a lot of the excess nutes, but now the leaves will probably yellow more quickly. Feeding isn't recommended at the end of flowering... but if you still have a week or so to go, a very light dose wouldn't hurt, but only if needed. If there are time released nutrients in the soil, you might be good with what yoou have in there already. I'm a fan of "Less is Best", but all grows and growers are different. Good Luck!
On a side note, my Sativa's often turn purplish on the bud leaves and smaller fan leaves when approaching maturity. I see some purple veins in your leaves, so it could be reaching it's end time depending on the strain. Some Sativa's flower for 12 weeks or more, although several factors are involved. Let it finish fully for the best taste and potency. They get fat and greasy during the last week or two!
Thanks for the awesome info! It’s encouraging. I was worried I ruined it with this power flush I did. Worst case scenario I think I could harvest if it developed any issues and not lose out too much

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

You started flushing that plant way too soon, way too many white pistils on that plant plus you've probably half drown it too!? If it were mine I would start feeding it again ..after it dried out

You got to bring a plant to where it's 90+% ripe and then you can worry about flushing, imho a plant doesn't need flushing it needs a taper but that's a different discussion, anyway that's what I would do, good luck!
I was worried about the flush. I think it was an over reaction to fearing nut issues. I looked last night and it seems like actually about 60 percent of trichomes are cloudy and I even saw an Amber one or two. So it’s probably getting close to harvest! Thanks for feedback! Happy growing!

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

Nice plant by the way, good work! Let them go long enough they will reward you every time
Thanks!! She was way prettier before the leaf issues :(. I’ve got another plant that hasn’t seemed affected by any of this. It’s got massive heavy buds but hardly any hairs turning red. What strange is a lot of trichs are cloudy so I’m a little confused about harvest

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks!! She was way prettier before the leaf issues :(. I’ve got another plant that hasn’t seemed affected by any of this. It’s got massive heavy buds but hardly any hairs turning red. What strange is a lot of trichs are cloudy so I’m a little confused about harvest
LOL welcome to the club nightmare! ..and the same strain will ripen differently in the summer than it will in the winter too, so there's that to look forward to as well lol Goodluck & keep doing what your doing!

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

1) all flushing does is stop the overfeeding that so many growers choose to do. Flushing does not remove nutrients from your plant. I think it's just another activity that seems to help because it distracts growers from doing harmful stuff. Like coconut water and molasses. Don't overfeed, for one.

2) The curled down leaves may actually be from drowning the roots with your flushing. I haven't seen it much in plants this large, but if that plant was 10 in tall, we'd all be going "overwatering".

3) those time release nutrients are released by water. So the flushing may have actually contributed to burning.

4) the essence of organic grow is slow and continued release of nutes. They don't flush out. Mix them, as you have, with an additional time release, and you have a time bomb.

I like a fairly neutral soil, and weekly feedings of a highly soluble mix like Botanicare. Simplifies things.
Thanks man. Very insightful! So flushing doesn’t make the taste better? I had to harvest one I had outdoors too early due to bugs and it honestly smells and tastes like harsh grass haha

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

This is what she looked like 10 days ago before I stopped giving nutrients. Looking back, maybe the flush only hurt her.

88785F0C 0CB9 477A 9D08 3EE8BCC12AF7
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Flushing could remove a lot of the excess nutrients, including any that the time release might have contributed. Since they work by osmotic exchange, any nutrients that already were released will be flushed, but newer nutrients will replace them. The flush that you did wouldn't have harmed the plant, but it might not be apparent this late in flowering. The yellowing isn't unusual, as it happens to my Sativas every grow. The initial photo above shows leaf clawing and no yellowing. The "No Yellowing" of the leaves tells me that there is a LOT of remaining nutrients in the soil. Once the excess was removed, the plant began to draw the needed nutrients from the leaves, where it stores it's energy and nutrients (along with the roots). Despite the yellowing, I think your plant is following it's natural progression during flowering. The yellowing also removes the chlorophyll, which gives buds the harsh taste.
I would keep the plant going, if you decide to feed it again, it is hard to say how it will react since it will depend on the concentration of remaining nutrients in the soil. Letting it finish fully, whenever it takes place, won't hurt your potency any... the amount of THC/CBD that changes during flowering is very small compared to the natural THC/CBD variations between strains. It is a very small decrease, detectable only by testing... I don't think anyone is gong to notice a very slight variation in the ratio caused by the Cloudy/clear Trichomes, but the difference between strains is substantial.

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

Word! Thanks! I put it back on a low dose of flowering nutrients this morning. Gonna keep her going for another week or two max. I’ll take her off nutrients about 4-5 days before harvest I suppose. Are you a believer in 48 hrs of dark before harvest for trichome prod? And do you think a good 3-4 days flush would be sufficient to remove the excess nutrients and lose the harsh flavor?

Ph 007

Ph 007

I was having the same problems with my plant In coco, my problems was over watering and to much feed,

This is how I fixed it

I give one feed from the top even when the plants where over waterd i did this.
So
One feed from the top feed strength on the wond was o.6 e.c. that probably about 1ml a litre of feed and half strength calmag , I give about 1-2 litres basicly till got run off then didn't feed for 2-3 days the coco got a little dry still pritty moist but not soaking to the point if u picked the poit up water runs out

Then after the 2-3 days i fed again but a stronger feed about 0.8 on the wond, this time bottom feed, I'd fill the tray at bottom of the pot and if plant instantly sucked it up I'd put more in and bassicly keep putting more in till its stops sucking it up, then I'd leave about 5-10ml of feed in the tray at bottom of the pot , by the next day the would of sucked the tray dry

So after that first top feed/mini flush I just bottom fed every single day about 1-1.5/litres But every day I'd upp the feed as my plants was quit big like you're it evenyaly go to 1.4 e.c on the wond and no all.is good :)

Since just sticking to this bottom feed meathod my plants are looking very good now as bottom feeding its hard to over water,,

My pH was alway set at 6.2 as my bagged coco had organic amendments or something like that its called its says on the bag somewhere.. So need pH of 6.2 if see organic on the bag uaully says on back if the bag....
If using brick coco pH of 5.8-5.9 from what iv read as its has no norganic amendment's,, i use to ph at 5.8 but plants looked shit sinces setting pH at 6.2 as someone told me in this site , and bottom feeding as i said above my plants looking lovely..

My leaves looked exactly like that like the sides curl in , I'm sure the main issue was over watetinf not so much the freed, but can't hurt to do a min flush

Looks like your leaf tips have sign of nute burn

I'm new to coco so this might not work for you but did for me

Last edited:
Kleinstein

Kleinstein

Thanks! Yeah, the burnt tips were why I decided to flush. Hoping it gets back to good health as it still needs a few weeks I’d say

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

I’ll have to look up how to bott
I was having the same problems with my plant In coco, my problems was over watering and to much feed,

This is how I fixed it

I give one feed from the top even when the plants where over waterd i did this.
So
One feed from the top feed strength on the wond was o.6 e.c. that probably about 1ml a litre of feed and half strength calmag , I give about 1-2 litres basicly till got run off then didn't feed for 2-3 days the coco got a little dry still pritty moist but not soaking to the point if u picked the poit up water runs out

Then after the 2-3 days i fed again but a stronger feed about 0.8 on the wond, this time bottom feed, I'd fill the tray at bottom of the pot and if plant instantly sucked it up I'd put more in and bassicly keep putting more in till its stops sucking it up, then I'd leave about 5-10ml of feed in the tray at bottom of the pot , by the next day the would of sucked the tray dry

So after that first top feed/mini flush I just bottom fed every single day about 1-1.5/litres But every day I'd upp the feed as my plants was quit big like you're it evenyaly go to 1.4 e.c on the wond and no all.is good :)

Since just sticking to this bottom feed meathod my plants are looking very good now as bottom feeding its hard to over water,,

My pH was alway set at 6.2 as my bagged coco had organic amendments or something like that its called its says on the bag somewhere.. So need pH of 6.2 if see organic on the bag uaully says on back if the bag....
If using brick coco pH of 5.8-5.9 from what iv read as its has no norganic amendment's,, i use to ph at 5.8 but plants looked shit sinces setting pH at 6.2 as someone told me in this site , and bottom feeding as i said above my plants looking lovely..

My leaves looked exactly like that like the sides curl in , I'm sure the main issue was over watetinf not so much the freed, but can't hurt to do a min flush

Looks like your leaf tips have sign of nute burn

I'm new to coco so this might not work for you but did for me
I might try the bottom feeding

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks! Yeah, the burnt tips were why I decided to flush. Hoping it gets back to good health as it still needs a few weeks I’d say

You did the right thing. The burned tops show too much nutrients in the soil. Next the roots get blocked so flushing (leaching) the pots with fresh water is the best thing to do. But once the runoff is acceptable amd lowered it is important to add back a low to medium strength mic of a balanced complete nute. Then they can continue on with at least a ninumum of what they need for best results.

Ph 007

Ph 007

Just realises your in soil not coco, I'd just flush with no feed and maybe even add half strength flower boosts to the flush feeds for 2-3/ feeds when they start drinking quicker you know their good add some feed then .. I find soild pH is better at 6.8/ 6.9

Top Bottom