What’s your best germination method

• Thread starter zoot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
zoot

zoot

So, from what I’ve read, there are three ways to germinate.
In water, in the soil, and paper towels and a plastic bag.
We’ve had good luck with the paper towel method.
Just got some high quality seeds and don’t want to screw it up 🙄
Thanks 🤓

growsince79

growsince79

Thanks 🤓
I do paper towels in a bag, on a plate, on the cable box.

TomTom420

TomTom420

I've been dropping them in Britta water for around 48 hrs and they all split open a bit...then into soil...14/15 this run...13/15 last run😎

zoot

zoot

Thanks, just curious about it, seems like that’s a good compromise. Gets them going with little chance of damage 🤔 Good plan 👍

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Thanks 🤓
I sometimes use a super juice to soak my seeds in.........take 10 - 20 seeds from hermied or old seeds....put them in 1/2 cup spring water over night...next day dump the seeds and use that water to soak your seeds overnight....( the seeds are supposed to release enzymes & sht helping the seeds crack & grow longer shoots)......... then after they have soaked in the super juice use a paper towel or coffee filter saturate them in that same water wring out the paper or towel so its wet not soaked no extra water...the same for a top piece press down gently to assure contact with the seeds...

I use plastic containers and put them on my aquarium ( or my new seed mat now) @ 30C within 1-2 days they pop and grow legs...Then into small solo cups for a week before moving on up as needed

freezeland2

freezeland2

Straight in to moistened jiffy organic starter mix in a solo cup. Place cup in a warm dark place and 3 - 5 days there is a sprout. Then….lights on.

zoot

zoot

Thanks @PipeCarver, interesting about the enzymes, makes sense. Appreciate your experience 💡

quirk

quirk

I employ a method similar to @PipeCarver, with a couple of variations. To kick start imbibition (first stage of germ) I give a 4hr. soak in a warm Liquid Seaweed solution, then use the same solution to
hydrate a Jiffy Pellet. I plant the seed and place pellet in a cut down solo. This process is carried out on a heat mat and sprout invariable takes place 36-48 hr. I settled on this technique after trial and error. Good luck.

Seed soak
Ready to plant
Happy 420
zoot

zoot

Liquid seaweed !! Geez, you guys are so creative. Love it ! Well I certainly have options now.
Much appreciated everyone. Nice friendly site👍

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I put the seeds in water first thing in the morning, and then before bed that same night I'll stick them into rapid rooters. Saves having to plant a sprouted seed out of paper towel, which I don't like to do.

zoot

zoot

Thanks @Dirtbag, been following your incredible grow diary. An inspiration to me. So, how long did you grow the seedlings before you put them under the big lights ? Any info is welcome. Thanks

Observationist

Observationist

First used paper towels ur after one dried out and killed a bunch of sprouted seeds, fuck that.

stick em in a cup of water for 24hrs > coco cup

or

keep ‘em in water till sprout then transfer

zoot

zoot

Thanks@observationist, certainly a less complicated method. Guess everyone has their own thing from experience, 😉

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Thanks @Dirtbag, been following your incredible grow diary. An inspiration to me. So, how long did you grow the seedlings before you put them under the big lights ? Any info is welcome. Thanks
My current run is from clone, but for seeds I'd generally grow them for 2-3 weeks or so under T5HO florescent before putting them under anything stronger.

zoot

zoot

ThanksDB, I saw those lights you’re using from a pic on your diary, that was my mistake on a test run. Just used fluorescent ‘grow lights’. They got leggy right away. Got those lights on order should arrive tomorrow so we can use the seeds I just got from Humbolt.
Starting again, live and learn.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I hated to do it but I put my current grow directly under an HLG Scorpion Rspec. Albeit it is up as close to the ceiling as I could get it. I turned it way down to where I had 5,000 lux at the top of the cups when they first broke soil. They are now just shy of 4 weeks. I topped them today at the 5th node and started LST. I had to transplant them last week. As I mentioned earlier I don’t go through all the proven rituals others do. I keep it simple. Straight in to jiffy In the cup and let it rip. If it doesn’t grow I go get another bean. I don’t remember the last time I had to do that. The main thing I worry about is helmet heads. Soaking helps eliminate that so that method has advantage there. My method requires mother nature’s friction pushing toward the soil’s surface to pop that shell off. 1/4 to 1/2” deep is the sweet spot.

zoot

zoot

I stuck my test run of regular unknown seeds under my HLG 600r, turned low, at 44” distance. Just experimenting, so far they look very happy, starting to sprout their second set of serrated leaves. Planting day 1/13/22.

Top Bottom