What about Trich Color

• Thread starter The Hippy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The Hippy

The Hippy

Hey all
I've been noticing so many comments on the farm here about Amber trich color. Many have said just wait for the trich color to become amber. Is that the type thing that only happens at the end then ? Is this the point where the herb becomes potent ? For instance are clear trichs not potent with THC. At the point where they are cloudy, is that an in between point then ? Are trich's ever any other colors ? Like maybe on the purple strains ? Would those be purple.
Is smoking a plant with clear trich's simply a wast of time ?
The comments seem to point towards this happening at the last week or is it sooner. Everyone says wait till they turn amber......why ?
In all the great photo's on here, most of the frosting seems to be whitish and not really amber. Is that just the camera playing tricks ? You guys would know, so I will be grateful to hear the take on this subject.
I have heard it said to wait till they are about 50/50 amber and cloudy. What is going on while these are turning amber ? Does every strain turn amber ? what triggers this to happen and why ?
Obviously this is a where the rubber meets the road in regard to our beloved girls. All you experts seem to site this as being when the magic happens.
Most peeps seem to admire a frosty plant, but can it be too frosty if the trichs are clear.
What exactly is the amber color ?
Thanks in advance for anyone who feels like answering any of these questions

C

culdaria

When they turn amber, they are ripe, that will be the last week. Strains finish at different times, checking the color of the trich's is the sure fire way to tell they are done and ready for the harvest.

B

bobman

some strains don't turn get a lot of amber. My last strain was done between 50-56 days mostly cloudy with a few amber. I usually picked it around 58 days and i let it go as long as 70 a few times and there were no more noticeable amber at day 50 than day 70 or real difference in smoke. At least with that strain. Mostly cloudy or mostly cloudy with a few amber is a good indication that your plant is getting close.

J

Jalisco Kid

That being said I have plants that will turn to dust before the trics turn amber. JK

A

amstercal

I think what he's missing is that you need to look at the trichs under a microscope or something that magnifies it 30 or more times. Only then can you see it's not all white; it's clear and amber and cloudy but from far away looks white. I hope that's what you were asking.

The Hippy

The Hippy

Thanks Amster.
I have a 30x mag and do use it. I was more wondering about the science or such of what is going on in this amber stage.
So Kid some strain may never get amber ?

A

amstercal

As usual, we should all just make headway for the experts. :-) Did they answer your question then? Hopefully JK will get back to you, but if not....

Here's how I understand it: just like apples or something, some are going to turn amber, some won't, some might be better pulled before 1/2, some after. I remember reading a good thread here (sorry, I can't think of whose) that said the best thing to do to learn your strain would be to take a blind taste test where you pull some every few days, label it and have some blind taste testers try it once it's cured. Then you'll know for next time when that plant likes to be pulled. You can add nutes that claim to hasten ripening, but mostly the plant just turns when it's ready because it's ripe.

I've probably managed to not answer your question again but hope I helped.

C

CanadianClassic

MMMMMMmmmmmm! i love smoking white trich's makes deadly hash!

Goodluck with the ladies!!!

The Hippy

The Hippy

Thanks Amster
Sure that is helpful too. All the various answers and opinions add to the overall subject. Each answer is great to read as it is the experience of a large group that fill in the blanks.
Someone else said somewhere that waiting for the hairs to turn red is a good indicator as well. I used that method in the old days and it was always pretty right on with my early skunk #1 strain I grew....way back in the 80"s

fortwunty

fortwunty

clear/cloudy/amber are not the only colors of trichs... at least on my magic merlins. i chopped them earlier this month and most of them had black/blue/purple trichs everywhere amongst all the clear and cloudy ones. here's a couple of microscope shots...

J

Jalisco Kid

I have seen purple hash before but never pics of the trics like that. The poster who told you to take mutiple buds from various times then taste them later is what I would do. problem for most is they change flavors before they really learn the plants potential. Now with more aminos being used I think this has something to deal with trics not turning as fast as they used to.
Hair color really has noting to do with ripeness as a damp cold night can turn them. It takes a a few harvest to learn when to cut. The smell, type of high, will guide you. I hate couchlock so rarely do I let it go past 100% milky. I like it somewhere around 50/50 clear cloudy.
Why they turn amber I am not sure but if I was to guess it would be degradation from the light. I have noticed amber trics where exposed and clear trics in the middle of the bud. JK

F

farmerjohn

Good stuff to know. I see 'em clear, milky & amber using 30x vision. Using the time honored method of harvesting when the trichomes are 60% amber. But not too amber! As with most things in this sport, there is some subjectivity involved. Hope to have what you need to assist you, hope to hit the window of ripeness & things will probably work out well.

K

Kodaxx

Basically they SAY that even in an all Indica strain, if you harvest when the trichs are cloudy, it will be noticeably more head high, and if you harvest when the trichs are amber then it will be more of a body high. No matter the strain. So for an indica strain, if you want knockout couchlock, then harvest with the amber trichs, or maybe a mix of both, and if you are growing something sativa then harvest when there are more cloudy. Clear trichs is too early for harvest but will still get you high!!

Top Bottom