What Am I Doing Wrong Cloning?

• Thread starter mdmazing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mdmazing

mdmazing

Let me explain. Last year i tried cloning without equipment, just make a cut and put it in water and wait. It got roots, but then i went on vacation and it died.

This year i decided to make a few clones, so i bought iclone and a few of those cubes and jiffys to dip and place the clones. I had no success. 6 or 7, all of them died. I had no humidity dome, but the humidity was 55% and temperature like 26/27ºC. I cut the stem in 45º with a super sharp razor. i immedietly dip it into water or the product and then i put it in the jiffy/cube. I put them inside the house in the shadow, but with some light. They start going down adter 10 minutes... This was a few weeks ago.
Whats weird, i tried yesterday in just plain water and they all lived until now, they look healthy.

Weird

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

my clones were down to a brown stick, NO green at all anywhere, i put water in bottom of tray with dome on top always and after a few weeks they rooted and i transplanted and now they are monsters.

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

Make sure when you take them out of the water you dry it off so the cloning gel sticks if thats what your using, I used clonex. Just my experience.

Bannacis

Bannacis

They need humidity right from start, dome is best. and light... only low level.
put them in a tray with standing water, not soaking in it, but above it.
Place a heat mat under the tray. that will help dissipate the water into the air.

fatawa

fatawa

I think depends on yur region.i only use dome/mat n winter here.we hav decent amount of snow,below zero weather...n summer complete opposite for me,i mostly do dwc,shit n summer i can cut put n straight n2 totes..i will say if u dnt hav gel/powder id let it sit n water a few min b4 dropping n cubes.the gel/powder r made to close that wound quick.water.....not so much

Organikz

Organikz

Get the humidity up 65rh+ , high humidity for best results .
7-14 days should start showing roots
Step by step I get 100% no cloning gel.
  1. Set up a cup for each strain and mark it.
  2. Per cup - Tsp coconut water, a couple drops fulvic acid, a tsp fresh aloe, 1/4 cup Fiji water
  3. Take cuts and immediately drop them in the cups to prevent air bubbles and let them soak for about 15 minutes
  4. Soak root riot cubes in same solution
  5. Stick em in the cubes
  6. Put dome on and remove twice a day and spray inside of dome lightly with water (never spray the clones directly or new growth can develop mold)
  7. Once I start seeing roots I crack the dome a quarter way open for 1 day, 1/2 open 1 day, then open vents completely for a day then off with the dome. This is called hardening them up.
Good luck!

Organikz

Organikz

Can I add that colas that are what I call runners are ideal. The ones that want to outgrow the rest but it's good to take upper middle and lower clones. I've learned to try not to let leaves contact anything including other leaves. Mold city. I learned from my most recent clone session to leave as little leaf as possible to induce internodal new growth once roots take. Also less leaf surface=less moisture loss from moisture exchange.

Remove all leaves except top fan leaves but cut about a 1/2" from the tip of the blades so if they sag they do not contact anything.

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

It got worse, I stopped taking pics cuz I thought it was dead.
polaroid_2017-05-31_21-19-24_original-jpeg.705932

indicabush

indicabush

What ever happened to the good-old days where aloe vera gel from the plant was used. Must just be to easy and natural/organic.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I have a pretty good clone %. I may lose 5 of 150. I don't use a fresh clean new razor, no special dips, water, I don't pray to the mj clone gurus.

I use an aero cloners
Tap water ph o 6.0
Dip n grow cloning stuff
No humidity some needed with aero cloners.

Since you use root plugs, I used them.in the past.

Soak RR plug in ph h2o or your 1st soaked solution. Technaflora calls for using red bottle. Wring out. Dip clone into gel, insert into RR plug. Put some on, open vent a tiny bit. Put seedling heat mat under clone tray. I put a towel between heat mat and tray so i dont cook the xuttings. Foliar Mist 2x daily with plain tap. Water as needed, should only need small.bit of water. 6 days should result in roots. Keep temps above 80, below 88, rh at 80%, never lower than 50, never higher than 90%.

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Let me explain. Last year i tried cloning without equipment, just make a cut and put it in water and wait. It got roots, but then i went on vacation and it died.

This year i decided to make a few clones, so i bought iclone and a few of those cubes and jiffys to dip and place the clones. I had no success. 6 or 7, all of them died. I had no humidity dome, but the humidity was 55% and temperature like 26/27ºC. I cut the stem in 45º with a super sharp razor. i immedietly dip it into water or the product and then i put it in the jiffy/cube. I put them inside the house in the shadow, but with some light. They start going down adter 10 minutes... This was a few weeks ago.
Whats weird, i tried yesterday in just plain water and they all lived until now, they look healthy.

Weird

Try shaving the bottom skin off with that razor about a half a length of a penny and then dipping in your rizo nutrient or clone solution before adding into your soil, cubes, what have you. I usually just do that and put right into wet soil works for me but there are a bunch of ways to clone and it's prob the most sensitive part of growing

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

I did actually do that this time just with sharp edge of scissors. I didnt do it the first time.

Organikz

Organikz

Another trick no one mentions is to cut at a 45 degree angle across a node. My mom was a horticulturist and she always did cuttings like this. The roots come out of the nodes rather quickly.

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

Another trick no one mentions is to cut at a 45 degree angle across a node. My mom was a horticulturist and she always did cuttings like this. The roots come out of the nodes rather quickly.

I think I did take a few at the node too.

fatawa

fatawa

Another trick no one mentions is to cut at a 45 degree angle across a node
did she double cut clones too?just curious cuz i do this.wrks very well.plants starts out toppd right outta gate.

Organikz

Organikz

did she double cut clones too?just curious cuz i do this.wrks very well.plants starts out toppd right outta gate.
Oh yah. Depending. Most pine trees and crape myrtles you don't want to double cut. Their main cola is their show piece. Especially an atlas cedar. She did ornamental trees mostly.

I have personally done as you said recently and I get better success. It is awesome for it to come out of the hot house bushing up out the gate.

Top Bottom