what am I doing wrong .. curing question

• Thread starter efnscreenames
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
efnscreenames

efnscreenames

I dry like everyone says wth the temp and humidity right and after a few days I get a hay smell. Is it that Im not curing right or long enough please help.

hiboy

hiboy

Typically in my area of cali on an average day = 70 ish degrees, i wont bag it for ten days after all trimming done. Hay smell should disappear around then as long as all leaves are gone.
Heres my simple method that worked great last two runs
No water to plants two days prior to pick
Cut all down, pull main sun leaves and any larger leaves that catch your eye
Depending on your quantity,
2nd cut process takes place withing a couple days of first cut
Let hang again upside down,
Normally around ten days cut buds off stem and brown bag 1/3 full and fold top of brown bag. Couple days
Depending on dryness, put in oven bags (a little experience helps here)
This is my simple method, many other ways to skin a fish, this is a good method for newbs
h

efnscreenames

efnscreenames

thanks a lot. I was confused but I see I almost had it right thanks again.

P

papaduc

Mate, that ritual won't make a difference bro. If your genetics are tight you can stick it in a brick shithouse or flash dry it in a day and it won't smell like hay.

If it smells like hay and it tastes like hay... it's hay dude.

Pick a better strain.

hiboy

hiboy

Mate, that ritual won't make a difference bro. If your genetics are tight you can stick it in a brick shithouse or flash dry it in a day and it won't smell like hay.

Pick a better strain.

Not true.
obviously the better the strain the easier it is to get a better finished product, but not taking some guidelines will def. make ur meds krap out.
Over dry your buds and they will crumble apart. Slower drying time the better always works for me
h

OGONLY

OGONLY

Hiboy's right, the slower the dry the better. You want there to a slight bit of air movement in the room. Ideal humidity is 50%. Temp between 65- 75 F.

Once you cut bud off stem, put in paper bag and shuffle lightly every 8-12 hours for 2 or 3 days. Once bud leaves start to feel a tiny bit (not all the way crispy) crispy put in mason jars. Open jars for 10 or so minutes (depending on how wet or dry your bud is) twice each day for a week or so. After that every week open it for a few minutes. After a month your bud should be ready to stay sealed in the jar for a up year and stay reletively fresh.

Blaze

Blaze

Pick a better strain.

Definitely not true unless perhaps you have very low standards about quality. Drying and curing properly is huge and doing it wrong can ruin even the best genetics. Anything flash dried will be crap, period, does not matter how good the genetics are.

My guess is you need to dry a bit longer. Sealing it up to cure when it is still too wet is a common mistake, even with experienced growers, and will result in a hay smell. A bit of a hay smell early on in the drying is pretty normal and if you temps and humidity are right it will take a good 7-14+ days for the buds to dry depending on size and density of the buds. For the smell to really develop it still needs to be cured for a weeks too, not just dried. Keep it up and pay attention to what you are doing and you will get it down after a few runs.

I would follow hilboy's advice, his method should produce excellent results even for a beginner.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
yes

even the most dank shit in the world can get ruined when drying it all gets the hay smell thats why you cure it the hay smell comes from the moisture comming to the surface of the bud and the clorophyll also trust me dry it till you can smoke it in a joint then cure it and the funk will ome out one day in cure

S

sfzoo

My guess is you need to dry a bit longer. Sealing it up to cure when it is still too wet is a common mistake, even with experienced growers, and will result in a hay smell. A bit of a hay smell early on in the drying is pretty normal and if you temps and humidity are right it will take a good 7-14+ days for the buds to dry depending on size and density of the buds. For the smell to really develop it still needs to be cured for a weeks too, not just dried. Keep it up and pay attention to what you are doing and you will get it down after a few runs.

I would follow hilboy's advice, his method should produce excellent results even for a beginner.

So the hay smell can come from both over dried and under dried? i was not aware of this.

If indeed you get this hay smell, is there no turning back?
if you are underdried and its smells like hay, can you dry more and cure then? or are you fucked?
if you are overdreid and it smells like hay, is there any salvage to the crop?

hiboy

hiboy

From my experience, if its completely dry and been a few weeks down the road, theres no turning back. Its over. Slow drying time is crucial. SO if your buds are dry now, bag them up, and see what happens. Hopefully your not in the situation of crumbling apart.
h

Blaze

Blaze

Yep in my experience you can get a funky smell form both under drying and over-drying. IF you have under-dried it is simply a matter of allow the buds to dry out a bit more and then re-seal them in an airtight container to cure again. If they are over-dried then you must gently re-moisten them. This can be done with a tortialla, or even fan leaves. The key is to make sure what ever moisture that is re-introduced is a very small amount and done so in a very gently and gradual manner. Once that is done they must be sealed up air tight and allowed to cure again.

S

sfzoo

From my experience, if its completely dry and been a few weeks down the road, theres no turning back. Its over. Slow drying time is crucial. SO if your buds are dry now, bag them up, and see what happens. Hopefully your not in the situation of crumbling apart.
h

I usually use large glass jars. but they are getting expensive. what do you seal the oven bags w/??

Yep in my experience you can get a funky smell form both under drying and over-drying. IF you have under-dried it is simply a matter of allow the buds to dry out a bit more and then re-seal them in an airtight container to cure again. If they are over-dried then you must gently re-moisten them. This can be done with a tortialla, or even fan leaves. The key is to make sure what ever moisture that is re-introduced is a very small amount and done so in a very gently and gradual manner. Once that is done they must be sealed up air tight and allowed to cure again.

I have a batch of Casey Jones that i got from Oaksterdam. Dried in 60%rH for 13days. pretty slow if you ask me. Then jarred up. Never bagged. To this day, it remains un-crumbly but dry. ...and it smells really bad - hay, flavor is eckkk.

Don't know what to do, i had other strains dried and cured the same way that came out fine..

I'm going to try to dry it out even further. then back in the jars i guess..

P

papaduc

Anything flash dried will be crap, period, does not matter how good the genetics are.

This is simply not true at all. I have flash dried buds of headband, og, jack47 and they have tasted better than inferior genetics that were slow dried and cured.

The bottom line is this; genetics are the most important factor. I've heard people say you can take mediocre genetics and if grown well they will be a very good smoke. That is bullshit unless you have low standards of quality.

Slow drying and curing is important for many reasons, BUT, I have found it overrated with regards to achieving good taste from average genes.

I have buds which you can put on top of the reflector to quick dry in a day or two which smell nothing like hay and never will do, whether I keep them in a jar, a box, or my sock drawer.

P

papaduc

Not true.
obviously the better the strain the easier it is to get a better finished product, but not taking some guidelines will def. make ur meds krap out.
Over dry your buds and they will crumble apart. Slower drying time the better always works for me
h

Sorry man, I think you misunderstood me. I don't advise anyone to flash dry their buds or forgo curing. Flash drying your bud isn't what you should be aiming to do. That's a million miles away from what I mean.

What I meant is not that how you dry your buds doesn't matter, but that buds which smell like hay usually aren't going to be transformed into grade A cannabis by slowing down the drying time, know what I mean?

If your genetics are tight you'll get a nice smoke even if you dry a bud on a radiator. Curing and slow drying will bring that bud to even higher levels.

F

FarmerChuckles

lol the hay your smelling is decomposing leaves..

I agree 7-21 days of drying/curing takes care of this...

Have to keep some moisture in your jars though if you dont they become dry and what they smell and taste like @ that time is what you get...

one of the best smoke I've had

OGONLY

OGONLY

If you allow your bud to get too dry you have ruined your cure period...

If you re-moisten and jar it, it still will not cure. It will just be a moist uncured bud. There are several threads on this.

I am a believer that the 2 weeks after harvest are just as important as any other 2 week period of a grow. Controlling temperature, humidity are very important. Timely trimming and handling along with proper storage also help ensure optimum results.

W

whtrshn

Genetics

This is simply not true at all. I have flash dried buds of headband, og, jack47 and they have tasted better than inferior genetics that were slow dried and cured.

The bottom line is this; genetics are the most important factor. I've heard people say you can take mediocre genetics and if grown well they will be a very good smoke. That is bullshit unless you have low standards of quality.

Slow drying and curing is important for many reasons, BUT, I have found it overrated with regards to achieving good taste from average genes.

I have buds which you can put on top of the reflector to quick dry in a day or two which smell nothing like hay and never will do, whether I keep them in a jar, a box, or my sock drawer.

I have grown about 15 different strains over the last 3 years. it definetly has to do with the strain. I have some white widow that I grew from seed had great trichomes good high smooth smoke etc but the smell was nothing. grew two strains of diesel, same thing, had one that smelled awesome the other hay even though good trichomes and high. have cured several ways too. even stuck a wet bud in jar and still no good smell on good buds..

efnscreenames

efnscreenames

you guys have all been a big help my last cure went great from what I did different I guess I jarred the other up too soon and it was still to moist. This time I waited until the stems cracked just enough to hear and then jarred it up the funk came out as well as some nice hues.. Thanks for all your time . Stoners are the best!

efnscreenames

efnscreenames

I have grown about 15 different strains over the last 3 years. it definetly has to do with the strain. I have some white widow that I grew from seed had great trichomes good high smooth smoke etc but the smell was nothing. grew two strains of diesel, same thing, had one that smelled awesome the other hay even though good trichomes and high. have cured several ways too. even stuck a wet bud in jar and still no good smell on good buds..

try what I did let it dry a little longer just until the stems snap a little then jar it up for a few weeks burping the jars at least once a day the first week and maybe every few days the weeks after it worked wonders for me. not to say my next harvest wont fall flat .. but I grow for myself and if it gets me stoned thats sorta what Im after anyway I know the time and effort I put in will pay off eventually. Im learning everyday as we all are. one love brudda :icon_animal26:

Top Bottom