what are your light distances?

• Thread starter Kpezzy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kpezzy

Wondering how far away or close you keep your lights during Veg and then Flower? I am in flower now and I am about 36 inches away with a 1k and I think it needs to be closer

J

jordisgarden

I have a 5 by 4 1/2 room and its got a 400hps and a 600 hps which are both about a foot from the canopy. and obviously farther away for the plants on the outside. i went out and got n put up 4 -4 foot t8 floros so i have some side lighting also and im still not happy as a matter of a fact i am ordering a 600hps to add to it . only cuz i hear they run more efficiently than the 1000.. i have 11 plants in there at the moment and some clones under a floro.
how big is your room. hows the heat and how many you got under there?

C

CheebaMonkey

I was wondering the same thing. My plants are 6 inches away from an air cooled 250W hps. Think it would be ok to move them up as long as I can control the heat? They have about a month left and I'm a little worried about their bud development. I know I know, serves me right for being cheap.

plants are in my gallery.

D

DazedNconfussed

I have a 1000 watt hps and I found any closer then 3' during early veg was no good, once they got about 1.5' tall I brought it down to 2' but any closer then 2' burns them pretty quick even after a mont of flower.....

K

Kpezzy

I have a 1000 watt hps and I found any closer then 3' during early veg was no good, once they got about 1.5' tall I brought it down to 2' but any closer then 2' burns them pretty quick even after a mont of flower.....

That sounds about right I am going to bring mine down about 11 inches, I'll be 2' 1 inch away for bloom

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Should be good with that. If it's air cooled you will surely be fine. With 1000w in a XXXL hood I have it 24" away with no problem. I let em' grow a couple of inches...at 20" I start to see heat stress so It move it to 24" and so on. I exhaust through mine but if I ran cool air intake on it there is no telling how close it could be. IMO any closer for a 1000w the light is wasted and footprint shrinks though. Been 24" for 10 years now and I like it...wit sum 3 footers under dare.....yuppers.

JH420

JH420

Great thread idea imho...everyone make sure to mention what type lighting and refloctor you're using or the info is useless.

I use 600 watts hps in a medium adjust-a-wing reflector (not air-cooled) with super spreader...24-30" from the canopy in veg then about 12-16" in flower...actualy had em about 8-10" away and that was too close bleached a couple top colas.

N

nor cali farmer

i run about 26" with my 1k not air cooled but two fans. never had a problem

K

Kpezzy

yeah I am changing mine tonight with some motorcycle tie downs for pulleys :o)

purpleberry

purpleberry

I have 1000w with xxxl and im 16" and even some buds are 10" If you run enough air threw the hood it wont burn them. Closer is better. I do pull them up higher sometimes, but i dont like to be more than 24"-30" for sure.
I walked into a guys grow room and he had them like 4'-5' away. someone told him to do this and the you could see all his buds were fluff at 6 weeks, he got them down and finished out better. lol I cant beleive it when i see grow rooms in hi times or online with the light all the way up at the ceiling. WHY?

S

SRHninja

What pulley or light hanging system do you guys recommend? i got two air cooled yield master II supremes running two 600watt hps.... looking at pulleys..

update just bought two ratchet rope pulleys :party
WHOOO! how close should i have 600watters?

J

jordisgarden

What pulley or light hanging system do you guys recommend? i got two air cooled yield master II supremes running two 600watt hps.... looking at pulleys..

update just bought two ratchet rope pulleys :party
WHOOO! how close should i have 600watters?

i do not have any heat issues at all and i can get my 600 8 inches from the canopy.

M

Malachi

I run a dual 430HPS setup. I air-cool my hoods and keep them about 12" in ved and 6" from the canopy during flower, talk about putting the juice to the girls! My temps usually stay around 80-82 at canopy level

J

jordisgarden

Great thread idea imho...everyone make sure to mention what type lighting and refloctor you're using or the info is useless.

I use 600 watts hps in a medium adjust-a-wing reflector (not air-cooled) with super spreader...24-30" from the canopy in veg then about 12-16" in flower...actualy had em about 8-10" away and that was too close bleached a couple top colas.

i am able to mist my plants, soak em then toss em under the 600 8 inches away and theres no bleaching or burning. i dont know i have a 400hps and a 600 and no heat. 69 to 76 is all it gets to. highest and lowest.

B

bridgerMTkush

It all depends on how cool you can keep you light if the temp is low enough not to burn the plants keep them within 12 to 18 inches to have tight large colas but dont forget you can raise them up and cover more area equals more plants = more bud..!~?

S

SRHninja

i do not have any heat issues at all and i can get my 600 8 inches from the canopy.

maybe that ghost has its benefits lol thats good to know though thanks for the info gives me an idea of the range of my set up.

K

Kpezzy

how big of a difference do you think a 1000k would make at 2 feet away as opposed to 3 feet away?

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

So with my cheap tin foil looking reflector on a solar max 400hps my bulb can be12-16 inches with slight bleaching in the center of the footprint .. My 1000w HPS hortilux is like 10 inches from the colas, lots of bleaching but the stress has increased crystals like not other! Buds are a tad smaller though:( at like 2-3 ft away little bleaching occurs if any at all....As to the above Q i would tell you to figure out the inverse Square law of artifical ligthing and you would see a great loss of light ny friend

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
i am able to mist my plants, soak em then toss em under the 600 8 inches away and theres no bleaching or burning. i dont know i have a 400hps and a 600 and no heat. 69 to 76 is all it gets to. highest and lowest.

How can you have no heat? Do you have cool tubes? You must know something. I mean 1000 total watts and you have no heat!! A/C ?

Why do you mist flowering plants?

If you have canopy temps of 69-76 at 8 inches away the room must be very large, very cold or both. Your root temps must be below 60.

You should explain your set-up more so people can figure out how to do this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom