What atmoshere controller is best?

• Thread starter tortuga1503
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tortuga1503

tortuga1503

Hey Farmers I need some advice on atmosphere controllers. I`m ordering a mini split Mon. and would like to top it off with a really good controller. I`m running co2,dehumidifier goingfor a sealed enviroment. I`m thinking of this one Sentinel CHHC-4 Temperature, RH and CO2 Controller. Good or Bad?

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

The only thing I don't like is there are no seperate control of humidity . u set it to humidify or dehemidify. This caused a small issue when trying to raise humidity lights on and dehumidify at night. next one I buy is gonna be harvest master pro, costs a lot more does a lot more.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

I doubt you will need a dehumidifier with a mini split. I am in the market for a mini split as well, let me know what deals you find. Best deal I found so far was a single zone 24k (2-ton) for 1200 bucks

B

Bobby Smith

Agreed that the only weakness of my CHHC-1 is that it can't both dehumidify and humidify - it's only able to handle one or the other - that being said, it's a great fucking unit (and value for the price).

Also OP, you shouldn't run a mini-split controlled by an atmospheric controller - turning it on/off with a deadband nullifies a lot of the efficiencies of the mini and will cause it to short cycle a lot and die before its time.

The mini is designed to run continuously and adjust its output based on needs - let it do its job without being hampered by an atmospheric controller.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I like the sentinel. I used that unit in a room with a spot cooler ac and in another with a portable AC.

Was nice to be able to set day and night temps and get that dialed. I also like the way the sentinel can log the data.

But I can also get some rooms dialed without a enviomental controller.

Please note how I said some, because there are alot of factors here. imho, it is not always "one size fits all" situation.

Like bobby stated not good to cycle the ac all the time.

Here is one scenario:
Mini split will usually have it's own themostat. Can use that to control temps.
DE humidifier usually will have it own humidistat. so it can be controlled on it own.
the c02 controller alone that will handle the c02.

Optional: You could get another controller that handles the heating and humidity.
Some where like socal, depending on where (big bear vs the coast), MAY not need heating. I do not want to assume so you gotta test it out and see.

Like stated the sentinel only control heating or humidity so if you think you will need heating may be better to use another unit for those controls.

Also you are safer if one unit fails. All use there own controls.

Here is what I experienced in one room.
The temp setting on the ac kept the temps in check.
When the lights are off, the humidity rises during mid/later flower. I have the dehumidifer on a timer and it is set to 60% humidity. The heat from the dehumifier can heat the room. Or be used to "trick the ac" into working harder. (blow the hot air on the ac thermostat to manipulate temps)

When lights turn off, dehuey turns on and keeps everything in check.

The c02 controller controls the c02 and that is it. Then can go with the cheaper sentinel c02 only unit.
this room is in a basement and well insulated.

Another scenario was a uninsulated room. The sentinel was needed to get the enviroment in check. The ac/dehuey unit was kept out of the room then routed inside the grow room. Sentinel chhc worked best here.

Please note: Gotta make sure the ac and dehumidifer/heater/ humidifier has auto-restart if you want them to be controlled by a controller.

Hope that helps, many factors can contribute what is ideal for you, your room and your location's weather. I have not encountered every situation but have experienced a few setups. Wanted to share so you can make the best decision for you.

I doubt you will need a dehumidifier with a mini split. I am in the market for a mini split as well, let me know what deals you find. Best deal I found so far was a single zone 24k (2-ton) for 1200 bucks

You guessing on that statement? or know from experience?

ac generally is not going to dehumidify as much when lights are off.
unless you got super low rh or a cold climate, most likely will need a dehuey at night during flower.

Yes there are exceptions like someone in the rockies. Otherwise better to know all the facts first. Then make a recommendation.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

I like the sentinel. I used that unit in a room with a spot cooler ac and in another with a portable AC.

Was nice to be able to set day and night temps and get that dialed. I also like the way the sentinel can log the data.

But I can also get some rooms dialed without a enviomental controller.

Please note how I said some, because there are alot of factors here. imho, it is not always "one size fits all" situation.

Like bobby stated not good to cycle the ac all the time.

Here is one scenario:
Mini split will usually have it's own themostat. Can use that to control temps.
DE humidifier usually will have it own humidistat. so it can be controlled on it own.
the c02 controller alone that will handle the c02.

Optional: You could get another controller that handles the heating and humidity.
Some where like socal, depending on where (big bear vs the coast), MAY not need heating. I do not want to assume so you gotta test it out and see.

Like stated the sentinel only control heating or humidity so if you think you will need heating may be better to use another unit for those controls.

Also you are safer if one unit fails. All use there own controls.

Here is what I experienced in one room.
The temp setting on the ac kept the temps in check.
When the lights are off, the humidity rises during mid/later flower. I have the dehumidifer on a timer and it is set to 60% humidity. The heat from the dehumifier can heat the room. Or be used to "trick the ac" into working harder. (blow the hot air on the ac thermostat to manipulate temps)

When lights turn off, dehuey turns on and keeps everything in check.

The c02 controller controls the c02 and that is it. Then can go with the cheaper sentinel c02 only unit.
this room is in a basement and well insulated.

Another scenario was a uninsulated room. The sentinel was needed to get the enviroment in check. The ac/dehuey unit was kept out of the room then routed inside the grow room. Sentinel chhc worked best here.

Please note: Gotta make sure the ac and dehumidifer/heater/ humidifier has auto-restart if you want them to be controlled by a controller.

Hope that helps, many factors can contribute what is ideal for you, your room and your location's weather. I have not encountered every situation but have experienced a few setups. Wanted to share so you can make the best decision for you.

You guessing on that statement? or know from experience?

ac generally is not going to dehumidify as much when lights are off.
unless you got super low rh or a cold climate, most likely will need a dehuey at night during flower.

Yes there are exceptions like someone in the rockies. Otherwise better to know all the facts first. Then make a recommendation.

No its a fact that air conditioners lower your RH. And why use a dehuhey and not scrub at night to reduce the humidity. You can use an exhaust fan with a damper in a sealed room and scrub with an atmosphere controller rather then hooking up a dehuey to a controller. I personally am a big fan of keeping my rh about 70% and I don't think that most dehueys has that high of a setting ... oh and no I have NEVER had bud mold and thats from experience

B

Bobby Smith

If you've installed an exhaust vent with a fan, that's not really a sealed room.

Once lights go off my RH shoots up, and without a dehuey it would be unmanageable - if you'd like, you can set your Sentinel for 70% RH and it'll hold it there without a problem.

Lead, not sure if I read your line right or not, but a Sentinel controls 4 functions: 1) CO2, 2) a heater, 3) an AC, and then 4) a humidity device - either a dehuey or a huey, but not both.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
No its a fact that air conditioners lower your RH. And why use a dehuhey and not scrub at night to reduce the humidity. You can use an exhaust fan with a damper in a sealed room and scrub with an atmosphere controller rather then hooking up a dehuey to a controller. I personally am a big fan of keeping my rh about 70% and I don't think that most dehueys has that high of a setting ... oh and no I have NEVER had bud mold and thats from experience

True, I know an ac also works as a dehuey. The issue is when lights are off the heat is not as great and not as much moisture is removed from the room. All depends on how many plants the size of the room etc. But not every room can make due without a de-huey.

Sounds dialed and I do not doubt it, I also run higher rh.

My room can get over 70% without a dehuey. And I want to run less than 70% rh at end of flower to increase oils.

I know about and have used the damper and exhaust method as well.
Also doubles as emergency in case ac fails.
Also works well in a residence where you need to exhaust fumes from sulphur or a bomb. Otherwise a sealed room has not way to remove the fumes.

The trick is to use duct dampers and filters on in/out (along with the motorized damper) to make sure the room stays sealed. I have set it up to share the in/out circuit with my hoods.

Duct dampers:

damperopen.JPG

damper.JPG

floorplan.gif

My dehuey has a constant, 50,% 60% and 70% setting. So they do make em.

Lead, not sure if I read your line right or not, but a Sentinel controls 4 functions: 1) CO2, 2) a heater, 3) an AC, and then 4) a humidity device - either a dehuey or a huey, but not both.

Yes thanks for pointing that out.

I am familiar with the older model chhc-1. Newer models have 4. old one had 3. I also have the sentinel c02 unit before they used a external sensor. Been running em since '96.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

my room is sealed with the exception of an exhaust that is kicked on at night controlled by my air-2. i use duct dampers for this. my next build out i am going to get a 24k btu mini split and use the duct damper the same way. i also drop my rh down in the 40's or so for the last week -10 days. looks like we are on the same page, wasn't trying to post bad info but sometimes what you are thinking and how it comes out on the screen are different peace - goodcat

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I also rock the CHHC-4 For my A/C to handle the power being plugged into the Controller I use a Power Expander from my A/C so it does not pop my controller. With the Expander I can add the amps to it and not worry about popping the 15 amp breaker on the switch.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
my room is sealed with the exception of an exhaust that is kicked on at night controlled by my air-2. i use duct dampers for this. my next build out i am going to get a 24k btu mini split and use the duct damper the same way. i also drop my rh down in the 40's or so for the last week -10 days. looks like we are on the same page, wasn't trying to post bad info but sometimes what you are thinking and how it comes out on the screen are different peace - goodcat
Thanks for sharing. Sometime hard to explain things in writing. I was just trying to help cover all the what if's?

And get details of different scenarios out there.

I also rock the CHHC-4 For my A/C to handle the power being plugged into the Controller I use a Power Expander from my A/C so it does not pop my controller. With the Expander I can add the amps to it and not worry about popping the 15 amp breaker on the switch.

Thanks for pointing that out~! Reminds me of other things I ran into.

With a 240v ac. The sentinel power expander was needed to connect the ac to the sentinel.

You guys running the 2 ton ac's may be 240v so keep that in mind!

Ended up working out better for me with out the sentinel controlling the ac.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I have to spread some rep around before giving it to Leadsled.

Nice job on the duct dampers. I fully understand and use them for emergency heating situations. Most everyone will use one eventually when they discover there A/C shit the bed on them and there room is over 100 degrees.

blazer

blazer

mini-split/ductless-split a/c

Hey if you r going to do a mini-split stick with name brand such as Sanyo,Mitsubishi, fugitsu would recommend using one they got there own thermostat which is usually a remote where u can control temp and humidity they wont humidify but can keep levels up while cooling they are 240v but very quiet and efficient the higher the seer rating more efficient good luckk.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

This post is over 3 years old, but I'm ocd when it comes to cleanliness so figured I'd add to this one opposed to starting a new one...

My choices:

CHHC-1 plus titan regulator--$200
IGS-220 plus IGS-25---------------$315

Both used, IGS still has 2 years left on warranty. Both seem to be solid gear, based off threads (just getting my CO2 feet wet). The CHHC1 has a remote sensor, which seems pretty key for monotioring/controlling from outside room. Suggestions, comments, advice?

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

^^and yes, I realize a regulator and IGS-25 aren't comparable bc they are in no way even similar, just stating what is being offered at what price.

Top Bottom