What Bud hardeners to use?

• Thread starter 916Fisherman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Hey guys I am currently using Maxsea nutes for my grow. Started off with the all purpose and now using the bloom formula. I’m looking for suggestions on what to use to maximize density of the buds? Preferably inexpensive options. Any help is appreciated.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Hey guys I am currently using Maxsea nutes for my grow. Started off with the all purpose and now using the bloom formula. I’m looking for suggestions on what to use to maximize density of the buds? Preferably inexpensive options. Any help is appreciated.
Look for a bloom booster. It’ll be high in phosphorus and potassium, and low in nitrogen or no nitrogen at all. I use this:

2057534E B4E3 4B9D AB31 271B5DEE3101
916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Look for a bloom booster. It’ll be high in phosphorus and potassium, and low in nitrogen or no nitrogen at all. I use this:
Thank you, that helps give me a starting point on what to look for.

az2000

az2000

I use Grow More - Sea Grow, which I believe is an attempt to clone Botanica Maxsea, cheaper. The only reason I mention that connection: if you use Maxsea, you're probably leaning more toward organic sources of nutrients. In which case, you might try Pennington Alaska Pure Kelp. That's more of a hardener than a "booster." (To my mind. It doesn't send the nutrient ratios in wild proportions. It's just growth hormones that seem to cause the buds to dense in flower. When I've used it in veg, I get odd stretch. Maybe because Sea Grow already has kelp. As would your Maxsea too.).

You can also boost P & K using high-p guano & langbeinite. (I.e., if being soil-oriented, and using more organic nutrients when you can is your thing, then that might be an alternative to using synthetic bloom boosters (the typical 0-50-70 type stuff. You only use a little of that anyway. If you wanted to feed the soil microbes, you could use guano & langbeinite instead to get a similar 1-4-3 ratio.).

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Heat is the enemy. Proper environment and temps and proper nutrients (no overfeeding) is the key to flower quality.

And sufficient quality grow lighting.

No product will overcome a poor grow. And no additives are needed to grow big dense stacked buds.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Heat is another issue that won’t be solved until next month when it cools down. Hopefully next summer I will have a portable AC unit to help control summer temps

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I use Grow More - Sea Grow, which I believe is an attempt to clone Botanica Maxsea, cheaper. The only reason I mention that connection: if you use Maxsea, you're probably leaning more toward organic sources of nutrients. In which case, you might try Pennington Alaska Pure Kelp. That's more of a hardener than a "booster." (To my mind. It doesn't send the nutrient ratios in wild proportions. It's just growth hormones that seem to cause the buds to dense in flower. When I've used it in veg, I get odd stretch. Maybe because Sea Grow already has kelp. As would your Maxsea too.).

You can also boost P & K using high-p guano & langbeinite. (I.e., if being soil-oriented, and using more organic nutrients when you can is your thing, then that might be an alternative to using synthetic bloom boosters (the typical 0-50-70 type stuff. You only use a little of that anyway. If you wanted to feed the soil microbes, you could use guano & langbeinite instead to get a similar 1-4-3 ratio.).
I chose Maxsea because it’s fairly inexpensive and has pretty good P and K levels when I compared it to other liquid brands that seemed to be paying for 90% water. Under $20 for each one and its enough for at least 2 or more grows

az2000

az2000

I chose Maxsea because it’s fairly inexpensive and has pretty good P and K levels when I compared it to other liquid brands that seemed to be paying for 90% water. Under $20 for each one and its enough for at least 2 or more grows

Maxsea All-Purpose (16-16-16) has exactly the same guaranteed analysis as Grow More - Sea Grow. (I've seem a couple people suggest it *is* Sea Grow, repackaged.). The labels are identical. (Yucca, sea weed, etc.). A quick google says 1.5lb Maxsea is $4 more expensive (not much difference. A 1.5lb container would feed 50 plants for an entire grow.).

If you didn't get into Maxsea for its organic properties, you might want to consider Jack's Classic All-Purpose 20-20-20. It's half the cost, and you use 20% less. Same NPK ratio. Just stronger.

I was thinking you had gotten into Maxsea for the organic sources of nutrients. In which case, there are alternatives to the typical synthetic 0-50-30 boosters. (Not that there's anything wrong with them. But, you might want to use the opportunity to feed the soil microbes). Personally, I'm not convinced raising P does anything. I think I see more densing from the liquid kelp I mentioned. There's a thread on this forum about it. I.e., I'm not the only person who's noticed it. (Others talk about boosting magnesium and sulfur in late? flower. And/or K is the important thing to boost, not P. Langbeinite has all three of those.).

Last edited:
Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Heat is the enemy. Proper environment and temps and proper nutrients (no overfeeding) is the key to flower quality.

And sufficient quality grow lighting.

No product will overcome a poor grow. And no additives are needed to grow big dense stacked buds.

My first thought was a strong light if current light isn't producing dense buds. Training the plant helps create a better bud. MIMEDGROWER actually mentioned in another post that with tomato plants, if you train them, they become stronger and create a bigger fruit.

I did something to one of the colas and now it created three bud sites that are close to one another. Once they fill in, that will be a big dense bud.

Look, this is what I mean. I only have it under a 400W and I try to go moderate with the nutes. I thought about bud hardeners but then I said to myself, let me figure out how to grow the best plant and then once I find the 'recipe', I can start tweaking it so I have a base to refer back to.

For that training, I topped, then let the nodes form a few levels. Then when it got pretty wide, I found the furthest shoot and cut every single leaf in the bunch on the same line. So when they grew, it created this nice three bud site that is going to be pretty dense when it fills in (i hope :P)

Close up
CFC7143

CFC7143

My first thought was a strong light if current light isn't producing dense buds. Training the plant helps create a better bud. MIMEDGROWER actually mentioned in another post that with tomato plants, if you train them, they become stronger and create a bigger fruit.

I did something to one of the colas and now it created three bud sites that are close to one another. Once they fill in, that will be a big dense bud.

Look, this is what I mean. I only have it under a 400W and I try to go moderate with the nutes. I thought about bud hardeners but then I said to myself, let me figure out how to grow the best plant and then once I find the 'recipe', I can start tweaking it so I have a base to refer back to.

For that training, I topped, then let the nodes form a few levels. Then when it got pretty wide, I found the furthest shoot and cut every single leaf in the bunch on the same line. So when they grew, it created this nice three bud site that is going to be pretty dense when it fills in (i hope :P)
This is only my opinion but I wouldn’t advice cutting off every single fan leaf that’s most likely is the reasoning behind your buds not being thick

CFC7143

CFC7143

It’s like taking the tires off of your car and wondering why it won’t go anywhere anymore.

Top Bottom