What causes papery feeling leaves?

• Thread starter amekins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
amekins

amekins

This is just a baby obviously, and only my second/third grow (harvested one, another is still in flower, and then these). I don’t remember the first set of true leaves being so dry and papery feeling. Other plants have all been grown exclusively on my balcony, the last plant having been brought inside the past two nights because of frost. Much higher humidity outside than in (no humidifier, this is almost as cheap a grow as one can have and my expectations are only to learn; any harvest is just a bonus). Is the papery feel just from the drier conditions inside? Thanks in advance.
7B11F4BE CD6A 4D53 ACBF BABD015473AA

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This is just a baby obviously, and only my second/third grow (harvested one, another is still in flower, and then these). I don’t remember the first set of true leaves being so dry and papery feeling. Other plants have all been grown exclusively on my balcony, the last plant having been brought inside the past two nights because of frost. Much higher humidity outside than in (no humidifier, this is almost as cheap a grow as one can have and my expectations are only to learn; any harvest is just a bonus). Is the papery feel just from the drier conditions inside? Thanks in advance. View attachment 1045590
View attachment 1045591
Seedlings are like 2 yr olds. Cute and terrorists at the same time. They like 60-70% RH i think that may be what your seeing.

You can try lowering light intensity to reduce the demand on the roots or up the humidity. Not overly concerning and the little monsters will grow out of it fast.

amekins

amekins

Seedlings are like 2 yr olds. Cute and terrorists at the same time. They like 60-70% RH i think that may be what your seeing.

You can try lowering light intensity to reduce the demand on the roots or up the humidity. Not overly concerning and the little monsters will grow out of it fast.
Ha ha ha. There is no real “lowering the intensity” except to turn some off. I’m considering putting a mug of steaming water there occasionally throughout the day. I actually have considered using my Brod and Taylor proofer for seedlings. I can set the temp and have a little pan of water in there.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ha ha ha. There is no real “lowering the intensity” except to turn some off. I’m considering putting a mug of steaming water there occasionally throughout the day. I actually have considered using my Brod and Taylor proofer for seedlings. I can set the temp and have a little pan of water in there. View attachment 1045618
I wouldn't go through to much trouble. In a week you will never know.

amekins

amekins

And now I’m thinking I could use my mini crockpot with water, lid off, on low or warm. Might just be enough.

Madmax

Madmax

Id just put on some moisturising cream...........................on your hands 😉..

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
In general I have found kelp-meal-based nutes to sometimes help with this in older plants, but in a baby like that no worries.....so long as the leaves aren't like, obviously off then the thing to watch for and think about is root growth. Just my opinion. Agree with aqua that she is probably just a wee bit dry or getting a bit too much light for today (but maybe not two days from now) and.... eh. 🤷‍♂️ to extend aqua's simile, they are kind of like toddlers wobbling as they learn to walk and run....you can definitely do more harm than good by not just letting them figure it out.

And man, @Madmax , that's some cheek! Lol.

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

I’ve had success short term, with just getting a towel good and wet and hang in the space as she drys humidy goes up - very temporary though

Madmax

Madmax

Haha..im justyanking Amekins chain. 🤣 .i get seedling dry leaves near every yr outside.my conditions are usually wet soil with the spring sun beaming down on them...

Top Bottom