What could this deficiency be?

• Thread starter BigBlonde
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I first noticed this lower leaf problem on May 14th. The top picture was taken that day at about 1:30 PM. The lower picture was taken 19 hours later, on May 15th, about two hours after the lights came on.

Whatever the problem might be, it seems to be happening rapidly. I'm thinking it's a mobile nutrient deficiency because, so far, only the lower leaves are showing it. My best guess is insufficient nitrogen.

The plant was topped a few days before the problem appeared. This morning, I top dressed it with 1 tbsp of Gaia Green All Purpose and added 80 ml of Bloom City Clean Kelp at the recommended dose of 5 ml per gallon. I then watered it to runoff with plain water.

The other plant in the tent is showing the problem, too, but not as much. That plant was top dressed the same as this plant, but I did it a few days ago. At that time, I watered both plants with 1 tbsp of Epsom Salt per gallon. The other plant has not been topped yet.

I'll add that I'm having a problem with high VPD due to hot weather and low humidity. Currently, it's 1.30 kPa. The temperature in the tent is 80℉ and the humidity is 57%.

Both plants are in one-gallon plastic pots. I'm planning to transplant both to 5-gallon fabric pots this week. I'm waiting for a delivery of mycorrhizal that hopefully will arrive in two days. Otherwise, the soil mix is ready for the transplant.

What could this deficiency be

MEGA956

MEGA956

I had a very similar issue when I fed Iguana Juice from Advance and I could never figure out exactly what caused the brown spots in my plants. I made the switch to a organic soil/salt fertilizer combo and that helped my plants tremendously.

I wish I could be more helpful. I'm sure one the "top guns" on here will help you out.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Top-dress her with some gypsum or water it in at 2g/gal
Thanks. I thought it might be a calcium deficiency, except calcium is an immobile micronutrient.

I don't have any gypsum right now but do have some on order that's supposed to be here in two days. I do have some Cal-Mag from Fox Farms, though.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Top-dress her with some gypsum or water it in at 2g/gal
Okay. Will do. I had to wait for my gypsum order. It arrived a few minutes ago. So, I'll finally be able to give some to the plants. I also plan to up pot these from one-gallon plastic pots to five-gallon fabric pots today. This is a big day for the Amnesia Haze!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Okay. Will do. I had to wait for my gypsum order. It arrived a few minutes ago. So, I'll finally be able to give some to the plants. I also plan to up pot these from one-gallon plastic pots to five-gallon fabric pots today. This is a big day for the Amnesia Haze!

I'd be more likely to describe calcium as "semi-immobile." But I do agree that calcium deficiencies usually show up in new growth. Regardless, the suggestion to top feed gypsum can't hurt ... it can only help. I'd be more inclined to give a light folliar feeding at about 1/4 to 1/2 strength along with the top dress. That way you cover your bases pretty well.

To me, it looks like you had a brief time in an over-watered situation ... New growth suggests that its been corrected.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I'd be more likely to describe calcium as "semi-immobile." But I do agree that calcium deficiencies usually show up in new growth. Regardless, the suggestion to top feed gypsum can't hurt ... it can only help. I'd be more inclined to give a light folliar feeding at about 1/4 to 1/2 strength along with the top dress. That way you cover your bases pretty well.
That's what I'll do. The mobility aspect made me wonder, but this sure looks like calcium deficiency.

To me, it looks like you had a brief time in an over-watered situation ... New growth suggests that its been corrected.
I pay attention to watering. Plastic pots, however, are troublesome regarding soil moisture. It's hard to feed when the soil stays moist for a relatively long time. They're nice for sliding the root ball out, though.

I just received a delivery from Amazon with new risers and saucers as well as mycorrhizal and gypsum. I'm going to put these in 5-gallon fabric. It's a departure from me using 7-gallon pots. I'm using a smaller tent (28x28 inches) for these plants, so I need to put them in smaller pots.

I'm going to flip the Black Jacks in the bigger tent today.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Careful with that gypsum on how much and how often you apply it. It can lock a plant out.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Careful with that gypsum on how much and how often you apply it. It can lock a plant out.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

I used 1 tbsp for 5 gallons of soil per pot and spread it evenly over the top. I figured the plants might not be ready for a larger dose. They apparently did need some, though. So far, they seem to be okay with the transplant.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I just realized I forgot to add mycorrhizal when I transplanted. Darn it! I was looking forward to trying it. Can it be top dressed?
Not really but some products are made to be able to water in. Extreme Gardening's Akos or Mykos ... one of the two is made for watering in.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Not really but some products are made to be able to water in. Extreme Gardening's Akos or Mykos ... one of the two is made for watering in.

Thanks for the reference. 😊

I checked the bag, and the stuff I just bought needs to be in contact with the roots. So, I'm out of luck with that till the next time I transplant. That won't be soon.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks for the reference. 😊

I checked the bag, and the stuff I just bought needs to be in contact with the roots. So, I'm out of luck with that till the next time I transplant. That won't be soon.

I like Great White but its just like what you bought and must be applied in direct contact with the roots. There are other products like "Real Grower's" Recharge that will give you a good dose of beneficial microbes when watered in. For best results, this should be aerated for 18-24 hrs in chlorine free water and then watered in. I'm just not sure if Recharge would be considered a root innoculant

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
not a calcium deficiency..
it’s from watering..
may need some food and possibly more light though i’d have to see more of the plant

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

not a calcium deficiency..
I thought it was an N deficiency at first, but I didn't think the brown spots fit that diagnosis.

it’s from watering..
I water carefully and use a soil moisture meter. The root ball was dry when I pulled it out to transplant today.

may need some food and possibly more light though i’d have to see more of the plant
Maybe they did before the transplant. The new soil has earthworm castings and Gaia Green AP in a mix of FFOF and FFHF. The previous soil was the same except for the castings.

I posted pictures earlier today in the diary thread for this grow...

Before the transplant: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/grow-4-amnesia-haze-by-bigblonde.148937/post-2959488

After the transplant: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/grow-4-amnesia-haze-by-bigblonde.148937/post-2959546

Madbud

Madbud

You’ll find out if the soil is overwatered when you transplant meanwhile work some mycos in around the inside of the pot if you want, there’s roots there by now.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I thought it was an N deficiency at first, but I didn't think the brown spots fit that diagnosis.

I water carefully and use a soil moisture meter. The root ball was dry when I pulled it out to transplant today.

Maybe they did before the transplant. The new soil has earthworm castings and Gaia Green AP in a mix of FFOF and FFHF. The previous soil was the same except for the castings.

I posted pictures earlier today in the diary thread for this grow...

Before the transplant: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/grow-4-amnesia-haze-by-bigblonde.148937/post-2959488

After the transplant: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/grow-4-amnesia-haze-by-bigblonde.148937/post-2959546
I know you're careful about watering, but my reaction was exactly the same as @GNick55's. It didn't progress so it looks like you fixed the issue but it does look like it suffered from a short period of too much water. No worries, you've corrected it and both you and the plant have moved on. It's evident by the pictures you posted in your diary thread. Your plants are looking very nice.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

I used 1 tbsp for 5 gallons of soil per pot and spread it evenly over the top. I figured the plants might not be ready for a larger dose. They apparently did need some, though. So far, they seem to be okay with the transplant.
This is why. Locked out potassium in one of my current plants.

IMG 1194
IMG 1193
IMG 1192
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

You’ll find out if the soil is overwatered when you transplant
It seemed dry when I transplanted. The problem could have been too much water. It wasn't too frequent watering. I watered in some Epsom Salts a day or so prior to the appearance of the leaf problem. They were in plastic pots at the time. Now they're in fabric pots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom