What deficiency do you think this is?

• Thread starter cottageman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cottageman

cottageman

I will post more pictures later to show it a bit clearer, but what is causing this? To me it has a lot of signs of mg deficiency but I’m obviously no expert, any advice would be great!
What deficiency do you think this is
What deficiency do you think this is 2

cottageman

cottageman

You will need pic of whole plant and all the grow info to get a useful response.
I’m in hydro, Rockwool and using mostly heavy 16 nutes with a few different things and this only starts coming up around week 4 or so and proceeded until early flower. The first picture is my clones that just got transplanted and some newer veg plants that I need to transplant. There’s no signs anywhere on these plants but the second picture are plants that went through the same thing but they’re 2 or 3 weeks farther ahead.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I’m in hydro, Rockwool and using mostly heavy 16 nutes with a few different things and this only starts coming up around week 4 or so and proceeded until early flower. The first picture is my clones that just got transplanted and some newer veg plants that I need to transplant. There’s no signs anywhere on these plants but the second picture are plants that went through the same thing but they’re 2 or 3 weeks farther ahead.
View attachment 872147View attachment 872148View attachment 872149

I have no hydro experience to advise but i agree looks like an advanced mag deficiency or more likely lockout.

cottageman

cottageman

This is old or possibly continued damage from your RA infestation.

ROOT aphid....your roots are fucked and deficiencies are the sign
that's what I chalked it up to but I do not think that's what it is anymore. I haven't seen a root aphid in a while and when I did have my infestation you would see them on all stages of the plant, from the mother to the clones to the plants flowering. there has not been any yellow at all on any clones, mothers or early veg plants at all which makes me think it is a deficiency

cottageman

cottageman

Mag deficiency is usually from too much nutes blocking it out rather than not enough mag if it is in the nute system.

Foliar may help short term but you need to fix the uptake problem i bet with some fresh water and then a lower dose of nutes.
I normally agree but I keep my veg nutes pretty low and check the runoff regularly and I compared the ratio of cal/mg before and after I switched to heavy and it seems way off. I always liked to keep it around 2:1 cal to mg but heavy is 5:1 I'm pretty sure. I lowered my ppm a bit and added some epsom salt to see if that helps

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Cal-mag can cause magnesium deficiencies due to the high calcium content, which can lock out the magnesium if there is too much of it. It's ironic that the supplement could cause a problem that it is designed to prevent, but balance is the key. I grow in Promix, so I'm unfamiliar with issues like this, but it looks like something is out of whack. Ph can also cause the same type of issues. If it is only one plant that is getting the same nutes etc that the others are getting, then it might just be something specific to that plant. If you think you have too much calcium, I'd flush it several times and keep the Ph close to the 6.2 range, as calcium can sometimes raise it too much.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I normally agree but I keep my veg nutes pretty low and check the runoff regularly and I compared the ratio of cal/mg before and after I switched to heavy and it seems way off. I always liked to keep it around 2:1 cal to mg but heavy is 5:1 I'm pretty sure. I lowered my ppm a bit and added some epsom salt to see if that helps
If I ascertained that this ratio was what in fact was causing an imbalance in my garden I would reconsider the newts ?

cottageman

cottageman

Cal-mag can cause magnesium deficiencies due to the high calcium content, which can lock out the magnesium if there is too much of it. It's ironic that the supplement could cause a problem that it is designed to prevent, but balance is the key. I grow in Promix, so I'm unfamiliar with issues like this, but it looks like something is out of whack. Ph can also cause the same type of issues. If it is only one plant that is getting the same nutes etc that the others are getting, then it might just be something specific to that plant. If you think you have too much calcium, I'd flush it several times and keep the Ph close to the 6.2 range, as calcium can sometimes raise it too much.
Yeah I am pretty afraid of calcium lockout because I know it can look like many other deficiencies so it can be hard to tell what it is so I cut back a lot of my cal mag supplement and I think i cut it too much and didn't realize the ratio was off. Putting some epso, salt in my rez instead of raising my cal mag so we will see how it goes!

cottageman

cottageman

If I ascertained that this ratio was what in fact was causing an imbalance in my garden I would reconsider the newts ?
i am not going to switch my whole line because mg ratio is a little off. I trust heavy nutes a lot more than 90% of nute companies so if the only thing I have is a slight mg deficiency I would say the nutes are pretty damn good. Having to add a little epsom salt should not be the reason you give up on a whole nutrient line in my opinion

2hitPass

2hitPass

When using epsom how often do you re apply as opposed to bottled nutes as your source for cal mg?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
When using epsom how often do you re apply as opposed to bottled nutes as your source for cal mg?
When I add Epsom salts, I usually mix about a tablespoon per gallon of water, when added to the plant's regular watering. For Foliar feeding, I would go with half of that amount, spread out over 2 feedings. That should prevent any possibility of salt residue on your leaves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom