what do i tell the electrician i need to run my 4k sealed room

• Thread starter kushmusic420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Thebogie

Yup the #6 wire and the sub panel (50 amp) U can take it to go!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I told him that I was turning my garage into a "man cave" with a 220V AC and a few large TVs, kegerator, etc..............this ain't rocket science, bro.

And BTW, what do you need a 30 amp mini-split for? That's pretty fugging huge.

Thats exactly what I said. The spray foams guys were saying wow thats alot of power lol.

Bigger question what Do I tell an HVAC guy about installing a 24K minisplit in a spray foamed room in my garage with 50 amps going to it? Ive been trying to find an excuse. Think holding up his money will be a good one hehe? Tell him Im putting a hot tub in there hence the big timers and power :).

H

Hythloth

A lot of people actually do have an indoor garden with tomatoes and peppers, etc.. just say you're a hobby gardener who enjoys organic produce and you never had good luck outside :P

i'd have installed the a/c unit before most of the framing and electrical were done. that way he wouldn't be any wiser. As for electrical, you could always tell the guy you are getting into or do wood working. Most of the equipment is high draw 240a. But you also need 120v outlets scattered around too.

Or a kick ass Man Cave that also does wood working :)

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Another reason to go #4, you can handle up to a 90 amp breaker. Room for upgrades,
hiboy

If your running 220 then each wire can draw 70 amps no problem That means a 70 amp 2 pole breaker can draw up to 140 amps you just need to spread the amps over each hot leg and make sure you dont exceed 70 amp on either side of you sub panel when loading up the breakers.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

I needed plugs for my heat press and flash dryer for my silk screen business. Also I needed another 220 outlet for my sub panel to run everything else.... ;)

hiboy

hiboy

If your running 220 then each wire can draw 70 amps no problem That means a 70 amp 2 pole breaker can draw up to 140 amps you just need to spread the amps over each hot leg and make sure you dont exceed 70 amp on either side of you sub panel when loading up the breakers.

Not sure if your agreeing or disagreeing,,, # 4 is rated up to 90 amps, meaning you can install # 4 wire on a 90 amp breaker
hiboy

jyip

jyip

question 4 hiboy

hiboy,
i was seeing if i could pick ur brain in regards to electricals on my house built in 1913...the attic was finished in the 1990's and has 1990's wiring there , but the other floors do not seem safe to run any high powerd stuff off

ok, the questions 4 u i posted a pic if that helps out

fires, they are a freak thing aren't they??
in my case i have ran this small room ( and a smaller mother/clone room off of that one w/a 430 watt HPS w/pumps, fans, and stuff too ) w/a 1k hps, a couple fans, timers, pumps, airstones, and an AC too ( i stagger all the startup times a lil to not set off a breaker ) ( at times, I run the AC off an extension cord to another plug in wall socket so it does not overload the one with the light on it..anyhow, it NEVER EVER trips the breaker when its running, and it hasnt in the 3-4 yrs i have had it running...
so my question is this... i can assume it is safe and not gonna fire up cuz i have ran it and it did fine without ANY problems ever

the previous owner that refinished the attic made a sub panel up there ( the main panel is in the basement )

are there things i should look for to keep ahead of any fire type issues? like burnt smell, hot wall outlets, hot extention cords, any or other things you may suggest??
thx for any input you have n thx for your time

kushmusic

i hope ur room works well 4 u w/out ne pronblemos

IMG 1611

you could get a meter and see the draw (load) on each circuit to see if you are maxing it out or not. are your circuits 15amp or 20amp? the difference would be #14 versus #12. also, if you touch your extension cord and it feels hot, you could cause a fire. make sure the extension cord is rated for the load on it.

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Not sure if your agreeing or disagreeing,,, # 4 is rated up to 90 amps, meaning you can install # 4 wire on a 90 amp breaker
hiboy

The reason I say 70 is that insures you dont over load the wire and fry it. It also depends on the wire you use, if you use thhn the the max rating is 95amps at 194 degrees thwn is rated for 85amps at 167 degrees. So if you had thwn and ran 90 amps you would be over heating your wire
(not good:anim_09:) could start a fire over time and not be tripping the break.... Also what most people dont understand is that if you run 220/240 then you have 2 hot legs each hot leg can draw whatever amperage its rated for, meaning if you have a 2 pole breaker than you can load up each leg to its rated amperage getting you double the amperage of what the breaker says without tripping it.

hiboy

hiboy

Yep thhn wire is rated for 95 amps. Thats why we put it on a 90 amp cause theres i s no 95 amp breaker. Most on this site will be doing the home depot shopping where thhn is available ... not thwn. So i think we understand that one. Your confused about the two hot legs, each side is drawing what is required for operation. If that draw on that leg exceeds the breaker it will trip,
Say you have some 240v equipment and on one of the legs you added a 120v outlet and plugged your ac on it, over exceeding that side of the double breaker,,, the breaker will flip both sides due to the bridge.
BTW i was in line with you last week hooking some ogr beans at i think it was called ngr. Kinda by santa fe springs
whi fi and fire alien
Cant wait for next round
hiboy

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

spread the amps over each hot leg and make sure you dont exceed 70 amp on either side of you sub panel when loading up the breakers.

Yep we are on the same page I would say. There was so many people there from the farm. Kinda cool to meet a couple dudes. Good luck on those bean I cant wait to see what they got in them!

hiboy

hiboy

Yep we are on the same page I would say. There was so many people there from the farm. Kinda cool to meet a couple dudes. Good luck on those bean I cant wait to see what they got in them!

no doubt bro.
thanks to the farm and readers for making it a successful trip. wondering whats next from ogr. Gona definitely keep an eye out for the next. good luck to you too. My buddy just popped 7 of them beans and all cracked and are already getting sexy
hiboy

F

Frank_Castle

What happens next? 4000w extra a month doesnt raise any suspicion with the power company? That seems like a lot.

G

gooey

your a valuable customer, no worrys about 4k, shit even 8k your fine if you pay on time imho....lots of things use alot of power, pottery kiln etc, even more than our lights...peace n puffs...

F

Frank_Castle

fair enough. I just thought of another cover - tell them you are installing an aquarium room. That has to use a lot of juice.

hiboy

hiboy

Original thread heading was what do i tell the ELECTRICIAN why i need a sub panel or more power in a room. Not what do i tell the utility provider why my bill is so hi. Hell they dont care, they just want your money. Utility provider has no authority to come inside your house, only thing to worry about is it they feel like passing this info on to any agency to investigate
hiboy

Latest posts

Top Bottom