What do pre flowers look like?...lol

• Thread starter dirtyshawa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Been growing since '06 off and on...I feel like I'm damn good at it, but I don't know what a pre flower looks like lol. I feel so silly not knowing this smh. I've never seen a plant show sex before it's time, so a
What do pre flowers look likelol
What do pre flowers look likelol 2
What do pre flowers look likelol
What do pre flowers look likelol 2
little insight would be much appreciated. (I feel so dumb for even asking, did a search but didn't find anything)

So, here's the deal started some old seeds about 4-6 weeks ago; had a defective quantum ballast, sent it back and got a solis tek matrix during weeks 1-2. Anyway, things have been moving right along, no problems, perfect everything. I've been reading up on all things growing during this grow (been coolin on the bench for a couple of years) and I see many more experienced growers say just wait for the pre flowers to sex your plants. I know I could take a cut and flower it to determine sex, but I'm waiting on some more beans to arrive (beans I popped are 3+ yrs old, had low germ rates) and the strain I'm running could use the extra veg time (killing kush, very Indica dom structure). Now, I hear that plants will show sex in about 4 weeks of veg, but I've never seen this before or have I???

Here's some picks...it doesn't seem to be showing sex to me. What exactly do pre flowers look like? I know how to sex plants in flower just fine ftr. Any insight would be greatly appreciated....thanks!

P.S. Sorry for the pics being misplaced stupid Firefox app won't act right lol

What do pre flowers look likelol 3
N

nightmarecreature

If it's not showing sex, it means it's not mature. You'll get a better yield if you wait for it to mature. I think most strains take at least 2 months from the time you pop a seed to show sex. Your looking in the right spot, you just need more veg time.

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

If it's not showing sex, it means it's not mature. You'll get a better yield if you wait for it to mature. I think most strains take at least 2 months from the time you pop a seed to show sex. Your looking in the right spot, you just need more veg time.

I definitely agree...no worries on the yield front. This plant in particular will definitely get another 4 weeks of veg...I was just ready to take some cuts...restless lol. That plant will be in veg until my new seeds are 18"...they all just broke the soil...coco rather. Planning at least 1.2 gpw from 1040w...definitely doable!

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

So, here we are a little over a week later and my lone Killing Kush has doubled in size from 8" to 16". I think this plant looks pretty consistent with the images that @Middleforker linked me to. Do you guys agree that these are female preflowers from experience or from the pics in the link???
Tmp 20140410 084851 2 790629022
Tmp 20140410 084852 15 490843868
Tmp 20140410 084621 1732337217
Tmp 20140410 084732 21386270952

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

No, I think you just need to be a little more patient and wait for those hairs man

That very last pic may have the smallest nubbin of something appearing but still man, just give it another week or two. So it seems to me anyway.

Welsh

K

kolah

Keep watching, man. Don't be fooled by the little spikes as being a female..wait to see two thin fuzzy hairs coming out of the oval pod. A male is easy to spot and they usually show up 2 weeks before the fems show.

Cloning and force-flowering them to make them show their sex quicker is best, IMO. I grow strictly outdoors and sometimes my plants don't show sex until mid to ate August. It's a real drag to grow out plants (including time, money and space) only to find out they are males that I don't want. To avoid that I clone plants when they have about 6 internodes and put them in 12 hours of dark. In 10-14 days they show their sex.

Last edited:
dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

No, I think you just need to be a little more patient and wait for those hairs man

That very last pic may have the smallest nubbin of something appearing but still man, just give it another week or two. So it seems to me anyway.

Welsh

Damn! I thought I was on to something lol. So wait for the hairs, you say....what hairs? I'm completely lost, because I was sure those spikes sticking out of the side of the stem were what the link said were preflowers. The lack of information on preflowers is astonishing. All the info on canna this boards, yet a clear explanation is hard to come by. Thanks for the reply...no worries on the veg time, it's got another 5 weeks before the flip.

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Keep watching, man. Don't be fooled by the little spikes as being a female..wait to see two thin fuzzy hairs coming out of the oval pod. A male is easy to spot and they usually show up 2 weeks before the fems show.

Cloning and force-flowering them to make them show their sex quicker is best, IMO. I grow strictly outdoors and sometimes my plants don't show sex until mid to ate August. It's a real drag to grow out plants (including time, money and space) only to find out they are males that I don't want. To avoid that I clone plants when they have about 6 internodes and put them in 12 hours of dark. In 10-14 days they show their sex.

Okay, first off thanks for the reply! Where exactly is the oval pod?

I could take clones, but I feel I'll be better off taking clones when she shows sex on her own (positive female affirmation). I'm gonna Butcher her once she proves to be female anyway.

K

kolah

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Ahhaa! I see now! I went back over that plant and looked in that area at the newest growth and I think the sex will show in the next few days to a week. There's something forming like WelshWiz was saying that is unique to all the other internodes. Thanks bro I've definitely learned so valuable information from you guys on this subject! Much much appreciated!!!

sun

sun

i only see preflowers on the last two pics.you have the main branch wth leaves branching out and spurs.where the leaves branch out ther are new shoots growing out from the nodes.in between the new shoot and the little spur is a tiny little preflower barely visable.loooks like an onion or bulb.if this pushes out 2 hairs or pistols out of its tip its a girl.i can barely see it at this point.im guessign its a stud.veg @18 24/7 is slower for sex. (i hope ive used the right terminology & i hope ive made sence)

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

i only see preflowers on the last two pics.you have the main branch wth leaves branching out and spurs.where the leaves branch out ther are new shoots growing out from the nodes.in between the new shoot and the little spur is a tiny little preflower barely visable.loooks like an onion or bulb.if this pushes out 2 hairs or pistols out of its tip its a girl.i can barely see it at this point.im guessign its a stud.veg @18 24/7 is slower for sex. (i hope ive used the right terminology & i hope ive made sence)
Yeah you definitely make sense and I understand what/where you are referring to. That plant is slurping down nutes like a ogre and the branches are more defined, so the area is easier to see, but that little growth there is to small to tell. I know how to sex plants in general, but I never waited for preflowers to determine sex. I always waited until 18"-24" inches. Honestly, that area looks exactly the same as when I took the last two pics, except the branch is much much more defined. From my vantage point it doesn't look like a sac is forming, but I've never watched a sac in its early stages lol. Anyway, once this phone charges I will post a more up to date pic. Hopefully, this thread can be a point of reference to others in the future who have the same question.

Reactions: sun
dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Cheap USB microscope pics, but--
these are fairly early...

View attachment 399057

View attachment 399058
Great shots man! That plant is getting so big, yet still no preflowers. I thought it was beginning to show preflowers, but it honestly looks the same. Is the top pic the same plant or a male example? I took a clone about 9 days ago...it probably began rooting 4 days ago, I put it in flower the day after, it's beginning to stretch. I guess preflowers don't show always show in the first 8 weeks of growth.

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

So, after all this time I finally know what a pre flower looks like. The plant I originally showed was a male and I chopped him down (boy do I regret it, he out stunk everything else I have going by himself). I have a True Blueberry that I started a few weeks after the male I chopped down. I just so happened to check on the tent and what do I see female pistils! I'm so relieved because this chick has a unique berry scent that's starting to manifest. It's hard to explain, but it has this blueberry-minty-menthol Halls cough drop thing going on. The fans are blowing, so I didn't get the best angle (probably will get some better shots right before lights out). Hopefully, others who don't know what a female preflower on a plant in veg looks like can now have a point of reference. This took two months...sheesh
Tmp 20140519 031445 7 1420411915
Tmp 20140519 031445 8 916045297

Top Bottom