What Do The Guys Do That Use Window Ac In A Window In The Winter?

• Thread starter EventHorizan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

If you use a widow ac in a window, in a sealed room, you know when it gets cold outside, the Ac quits working... I see all the designs about shakers for keeping it inside but nothing on what ypou would do if it was outside and winter time..
Anybody got any experience with this?

ChiefnJoeBlo

ChiefnJoeBlo

If you use a widow ac in a window, in a sealed room, you know when it gets cold outside, the Ac quits working... I see all the designs about shakers for keeping it inside but nothing on what ypou would do if it was outside and winter time..
Anybody got any experience with this?
You can have a low ambient kit installed or you can build a box on the outside that deflects the hot discharge air back to the fresh air vents.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

You can have a low ambient kit installed or you can build a box on the outside that deflects the hot discharge air back to the fresh air vents.
can you elborate on both of these! Im very interested in both. I ve never heard of the kits.. Can i install the kit? And a box that deflects the hot discharge back at the fresh air intake.. That sounds pretty good but im still not for sure I have ever seen the inside of my window unit... man I sure would like a write up on that!

G gnome

G gnome

can you elborate on both of these! Im very interested in both. I ve never heard of the kits.. Can i install the kit? And a box that deflects the hot discharge back at the fresh air intake.. That sounds pretty good but im still not for sure I have ever seen the inside of my window unit... man I sure would like a write up on that!
U might be able to install a low ambient kit urself but idk about a crankcase heater. ....if ya gotta get an hvac guy out to ur house u might as well make good use of it and get a proper ac unit instead of a window unit. Theyre very inefficient in comparison to a central air unit or minisplit. Luckily i have a close friend who is an hvac guy. He hooked me up w a central ac for my grow....1500 in equipment and a bag of weed for the labor
1498483271578 701596357

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

The fresh air intake on a window shaker is on the from intake side. Window shaker draw in air for the compressor from the top and sides of the case, then forced out the back.

Personally this is what I would do.
Using 1/2 or 3/4" plywood or is that's been treated/ painted. Build an enclosure about 2' past the end of the unit on 4 aides (top, bottom, left and right). For the back, I would panel that off, then using either a 6 or 8" hole saw, make a hole dead center for the exhaust to escape. The constriction should keep heat him, but not overwork the compressor.

Now for the intake area that the unit draws in to cool the compressor.

Use 2x3 and frame around the unit. Use the 2x3 the tall way to gain an extra .5". Use the same.1/2" plywood and make a case around the unit. There should be a 3" gap from.the window unit case and the new enclosure. Make this the same.length as the exhaust box you made. Your essentially making a box in a box.

The back of the unit should look like this. See drawing below. Im.trying to type this the best I can. It's easier to show that to type. As I don't think I'm getting my thoughts out as I like.

Pic 1 should how the exhaust port would be made.
Pic 2 (drawing) shows how you would build another box to allow air to come in for the compressor. This would start where my 2x4 support are on the opposite side of the exhaust box. And go as far as the length of the exhaut5box you made. You would need to use a 80j elbow and direct the exhaust down

20170625 001447
20170626 093930

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Event
shoot me a pm, I may be able to explain it or over the phone. This way should work. You may even be able to block off 1 of 3 intake vents as it's cold add air. Maybe even patially block 2 of 3 vents.

ChiefnJoeBlo

ChiefnJoeBlo

Your box should be built around the outside of fresh air vents and discharge side. The bottom of box is open to not choke out system. Essentially your just trying to deflect the hot air from exhaust to pull in through the fresh air sides. This will prevent unit from freezing.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I do agree with recycling thenwxhaust air. I would only use half of the air. But this will cause a lot more condensate to build up in the drip tray. Not sure how to evacuate that out with freezing temps.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

All good ideas! I will put it all in to some deep thought! I got about 5 months before i have to worry about it...
I wonder if Mr Slim will work in low temps? I seen it at my lowes I think.. Ita a split sytem. I wonder if I can hook it up myself? I cant have an Hvac come to my house.. Not an option... But im pretty damn good at doing shit myself!

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

U might be able to install a low ambient kit urself but idk about a crankcase heater. ....if ya gotta get an hvac guy out to ur house u might as well make good use of it and get a proper ac unit instead of a window unit. Theyre very inefficient in comparison to a central air unit or minisplit. Luckily i have a close friend who is an hvac guy. He hooked me up w a central ac for my grow....1500 in equipment and a bag of weed for the labor View attachment 713996
I agree 100% on that!

G gnome

G gnome

All good ideas! I will put it all in to some deep thought! I got about 5 months before i have to worry about it...
I wonder if Mr Slim will work in low temps? I seen it at my lowes I think.. Ita a split sytem. I wonder if I can hook it up myself? I cant have an Hvac come to my house.. Not an option... But im pretty damn good at doing shit myself!
Have u looked into those "aura systems "? Theyre like diy minisplits w pre charged line sets

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I was gonna score the diy Mr slim 18k but mini split unit. Just couldn't drop the 2k for it. The newer minis have tech to work in cold winter temps. Iirc down to 5*f.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Thats a lotta cheddar for an 18k
Jesus saves

Well fuck a duck.. There only quick connect is 36k btu.. Shit all i need it a 10k btu.
I like thier stuff! I found another one but I dont know if it will go down to 5*

https://climateright.com/mini-split...ater.html#product_tabs_product-specifications

But I really like this one but its not quick connect.. I wonder if you asked them if they would install quick connects on it, if they would?

http://www.aurasystemsonline.com/aura-air-conditioners/au-012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom