What do u think about dimming led Lights

• Thread starter Tesla666
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tesla666

Tesla666

Do u think that dimming ya good for the plants? Maybe dimming affects to the espectrum?
I think that light intensity should be used similar as it does the sun growing outdoor.
When i flip use The LED at 100% and last week use less light.
Vegging at 50%.
I use Samsung lmb301h and osram 660 3500k

euphoria526

euphoria526

depends on the light, the spectrum and the setup really. I germinated my seedlings at %50. kept it there until they got bigger then just inched up to 65/76%. im not pushing 100 till I flip. but im also running 330w led's. if they were stronger I might have them on a lower setting.
its been working really well for me so far.

for the record I have chilLEd's growcraft x2's

HarryHood

HarryHood

depends on the light, the spectrum and the setup really. I germinated my seedlings at %50. kept it there until they got bigger then just inched up to 65/76%. im not pushing 100 till I flip. but im also running 330w led's. if they were stronger I might have them on a lower setting.
its been working really well for me so far.

for the record I have chilLEd's growcraft x2's
i'm using a sf4000 and i've followed something like this as well except my percentage at seedling was lower at about 25% and i do believe i could've gone higher. my auto's are about 1.5 weeks into flowering now and i'm at about 80% and hanging 15 inches above the canopy

greenscholar

greenscholar

Dim them if you want it close or leave them up 100% and let the plants grow into them, we are not growing outdoors we are using artificial lights. There is only so much light a plant can process in one day, all plants are different. If your vpd is out of wack and your pumping it with to much light your plants may so signs of a deficiency when is fact your giving the plant more light then It can process in a light cycle. I wouldn't worry about the spectrum decreasing. This is why its helpful to have a par meter.

HarryHood

HarryHood

Dim them if you want it close or leave them up 100% and let the plants grow into them, we are not growing outdoors we are using artificial lights. There is only so much light a plant can process in one day, all plants are different. If your vpd is out of wack and your pumping it with to much light your plants may so signs of a deficiency when is fact your giving the plant more light then It can process in a light cycle. I wouldn't worry about the spectrum decreasing. This is why its helpful to have a par meter.
yes, distance is super important. i forgot to mention that. i followed the recommended distance given in the manual and used the lux meter app on my phone to get a reading

euphoria526

euphoria526

agreed distance should be accounted for. I contacted my light maker and asked them directly. helps that they are already at the top of my tent and is around the 2ft+ that it needed to be for seedlings and younger plants lol

*edit*
Thats what was needed for my plants in MY setup. yours could be different

Last edited:
ReeferRon

ReeferRon

I grow perpetual and never dim my lights. I start the seedlings or clones under a T5 and as soon as they are teens they can take my BP300 full blast at 18-24 inches with explosive growth. After a few weeks under the 300 watts they are ready for the 650 watt flower light at 100% for full steam flowering, 12-18 inches from the canopy.

I didn't buy all these watts to use just a percentage of the available light. I want all the light I can get. I should say I don't have a light meter of any kind and distance from canopy has been a shot in the dark. I just let the plants tell me. You can tell when they are in the sweet spot by how they show and grow. There for sure is a learning curve without any kind of meter to check, but I got time and I like to learn.

Tesla666

Tesla666

I grow perpetual and never dim my lights. I start the seedlings or clones under a T5 and as soon as they are teens they can take my BP300 full blast at 18-24 inches with explosive growth. After a few weeks under the 300 watts they are ready for the 650 watt flower light at 100% for full steam flowering, 12-18 inches from the canopy.

I didn't buy all these watts to use just a percentage of the available light. I want all the light I can get. I should say I don't have a light meter of any kind and distance from canopy has been a shot in the dark. I just let the plants tell me. You can tell when they are in the sweet spot by how they show and grow. There for sure is a learning curve without any kind of meter to check, but I got time and I like to learn.
What light do u have? Mine is 650W too. What distance from the canopy when u use 300W.

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

What light do u have? Mine is 650W too. What distance from the canopy when u use 300W.
I use a Meijiu A8 650watt light for flower. The manufacturer provided this chart with the light.
Meijiu light distance

The light I use for veg also came with a similar chart. Its 300 watt and I keep it 18-24 inches from the canopy. Plants LOVE it.

Ormo

Ormo

Hi guys I'm running a xs1000
X2 with 2 smaller 255 red 55 blue led should I dim during flowering spec sheet stats 100% at 18 inch

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I never run 100% always dimmed to 60to80% white flowering plants don't need full sun blaring at them it's temps and humidity is the 2 main things I worry be about .

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

Im running 2 hgl 260r on 3’ heat sinks. First run with these light so I’m careful. In veg I found 50% @ 14-16” was my sweet spot. Probably could have pushed them harder but want to learn best level of light for future grows. In flower I kick them up 10% so by week 4-5 they are getting 100%

KDB42

KDB42

I've wondered this too and still not sure. I have a mars ts1000. Is it better to turn it up and raise the light or hang lower and dim? Or is it about the same? My last grow didnt come out too good and that may of had something to do with that.

mandoVol

mandoVol

I’ve got a par meter, and one question I have is, as long ad I’m within my PAR ranges, am I better off with the light at 50% power and 18” away, or 100% at 60”? Does this make sense? BTW, I have a 600watt LED and I’m 33
days into a photo run.

Top Bottom