What do we have here? Bug pics

• Thread starter Noobstar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Noobstar

Noobstar

Yesterday I went out to check my plants.
As I walked on up I gave the first plant a nice big lung full of homemade co2 from papa.
A few flyboys took off and I decided to lightly spray the plants with some diluted neem oil(1tsp in 32oz of water)
This morning I went out to check and there was still some of these buggers hanging out, here’s a couple of pics:
What do we have here bug pics

What do we have here bug pics 2

Maybe I didn’t spray enough or my solution isn’t strong enough?
I just don’t want this to get out of hand.

Jetdry88

Jetdry88

Few things you can try is some yellow sticky pads in the soil, diatomaceous earth may help as well if the soil has been to moist. Place a nice layer covering the soil and larva will dry out before getting into the soil. Also apply a dusting to the leaves.
Also let the top few inches of the soil dry a bit and don't keep it to wet.
I had Flys and aphids early in the season but the DE has helped.

Noobstar

Noobstar

Few things you can try is some yellow sticky pads in the soil, diatomaceous earth may help as well if the soil has been to moist. Place a nice layer covering the soil and larva will dry out before getting into the soil. Also apply a dusting to the leaves.
Also let the top few inches of the soil dry a bit and don't keep it to wet.
I had Flys and aphids early in the season but the DE has helped.
Thanks for the reply! I’ll try both the sticky pads and DE

plantlover84

plantlover84

Hey! I agree sticky pads and DE are going to be super helpful.. before you add those to the pot I would also rinse the plant off with a hose, may knock and kill a few plants that way. I'd also step up the DIY insecticide, I like the one in this article: https://www.grobo.io/blogs/growing/5-indoor-herb-garden-mistakes-and-how-to-fix-them. It's still got neem but there's also soap, It will help suffocate/ dry out the bugs and rubbing alcohol to kill them on contact. The one I think is just a regular fly but the other looks like it may be an aphid. The nice thing about sticky traps is they also keep an eye on what is visiting your plants!

Noobstar

Noobstar

Hey! I agree sticky pads and DE are going to be super helpful.. before you add those to the pot I would also rinse the plant off with a hose, may knock and kill a few plants that way. I'd also step up the DIY insecticide, I like the one in this article: https://www.grobo.io/blogs/growing/5-indoor-herb-garden-mistakes-and-how-to-fix-them. It's still got neem but there's also soap, It will help suffocate/ dry out the bugs and rubbing alcohol to kill them on contact. The one I think is just a regular fly but the other looks like it may be an aphid. The nice thing about sticky traps is they also keep an eye on what is visiting your plants!
Thank you for the tips, my mixture has the soap, but not the alcohol. I’ll have to try that, Should be ok if I’m trying to stay organic?

Noobstar

Noobstar

Purchased some DE today and put a nice layer on the photoperiods’ soil and a bit of a dusting on the leaves.
I didn’t do the autoflower because, well…you know. The auto doesn’t seem to be attracting the bugs anyways… strange.

plantlover84

plantlover84

Thank you for the tips, my mixture has the soap, but not the alcohol. I’ll have to try that, Should be ok if I’m trying to stay organic?
Hey- I think the rubbing alcohol would be fine if trying to stay organic. I found this online: "Isopropyl alcohol, also known as isopropanol, is a colorless, flammable organic compound with the molecular formula C3H8O"

BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

Waiting on sticky traps to be delivered. They were sold out everywhere.
I used DUCT tape once and it worked, combined with the yellow sticky traps. The duct tape worked better in mostly catching the gnat larvae and other crawling critters and the yellow sticky traps do well with the winged critters. Of course, the pieces of tape were laid on the soil where the baby gnats were crawling around, sticky side up of course, for those who were wondering. 🙃😁

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Please rinse that off your plants, and for goodness sake, don't get the alcohol on the plant.
FRANKIE! Hook this man up with some good stuff.
@Frankster

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I know what will eliminate that, keep the bugs away, and should be on the cheaper side.

That alone should take care of your issues for the most part. You can always pH it up a little more with some castile soap (which will also work) but the vegetable glycerin is totally clean, it's good for the plant overall, and difficult to overuse. It's also will lend some better overall stress resistance.

2TBSP Per 1000ml maximum which is how I would start out on those plants, but once under control can be dialed back to 1TBSP per 1000 ml. If you want to add inject foaming action into the surfactant mix, just add a pea size of this;

If you want to go the other more expensive route, this is similar, but a little more specific.

All the above solutions should be safe up to the day of harvest to spray, will give the plant better overall heat and cold resistance, bug protection, and mold protection, in addition to the above very obvious PM issues. Just get your solution up to a pH of around 7.5-8 range.

If you've got any castile soap handy, I would hit them with that in the interim, until you lay your hands on something above. I would use about 2TBSP per 1000 ml

Last edited:
Top Bottom