• Thread starter Cirroji
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Harvesting - What do YOU do?

• Total voters
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
This isn't to find out what's best but get a general idea of where the majority of people stand on this. if you do not see what you do please comment it below.

thank you for your time and allowing me to plot and tinker
I've been pulling 1 at a time lately and let it sit on a work bench while I get around to pulling the large leaves off. It may take a day or 3 to do 1 plant.....spending a total of about 20 minutes working on it 5 - 10 min a day.......I'm retired......Then hang whole and get to another....

I read recently that I should hang and dry all plants together.......to keep the drying room humidity in check....that just sounds like too much work all at once

TSD

TSD

I've been pulling 1 at a time lately and let it sit on a work bench while I get around to pulling the large leaves off. It may take a day or 3 to do 1 plant.....spending a total of about 20 minutes working on it 5 - 10 min a day.......I'm retired......Then hang whole and get to another....

I read recently that I should hang and dry all plants together.......to keep the drying room humidity in check....that just sounds like too much work all at once
Sounds like my Dad's method lol... I'm constantly ragging on him to get a proper dry space set up and learn what I try to teach him about curing... but he's almost 70 and stubborn as hell. So when he asks why his final product doesn't measure up to mine as far as taste and smell, I give the usual "I told you so" response... then we have the same conversation about a year later. 🤣

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Sounds like my Dad's method lol... I'm constantly ragging on him to get a proper dry space set up and learn what I try to teach him about curing... but he's almost 70 and stubborn as hell. So when he asks why his final product doesn't measure up to mine as far as taste and smell, I give the usual "I told you so" response... then we have the same conversation about a year later. 🤣
I used my 3x3 the last time but I hung 1 every 2-3 days with 5 plants. They seemed to dry okay I'm happy with the results but in reading something afterwards I learned that's not the best procedure. That advice was great for 1 -2-3 plants but say 8??? my next group?.......... fk that....that's work and it ain't happinin in 1 day around these parts.....I says with a cranky old voice!😂

TSD

TSD

I used my 3x3 the last time but I hung 1 every 2-3 days with 5 plants. They seemed to dry okay I'm happy with the results but in reading something afterwards I learned that's not the best procedure. That advice was great for 1 -2-3 plants but say 8??? my next group?.......... fk that....that's work and it ain't happinin in 1 day around these parts.....I says with a cranky old voice!😂
The year I *accidentally* grew 10 pounds, I was trimming for a literal month lol. I think that may be why I have carpal tunnel starting. 🤣

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

For those of you who chop with fan leaves taken off - do you directly feel it makes the drying process faster this way?
I remove the fan leaves on my indoor because it’s easier in my opinion when they are fresh, then everything trimmed off into the trim bin after dry goes to butter. I also know my dry space is going to be optimal drying conditions. When I’m drying in a garage with minimal humidity then I like to leave fan leaves on to help keep moisture on and around plant too keep that drying process slow.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The year I *accidentally* grew 10 pounds, I was trimming for a literal month lol. I think that may be why I have carpal tunnel starting. 🤣
Need one of these things for weight. We used one for everything but the big tops. Could do a 40-50 lb crop in about 4-5 days. With a crew of 3 or 4 people.
Screenshot 20230221 135756 Samsung Internet

TSD

TSD

Need one of these things for weight. We used one for everything but the big tops. Could do a 40-50 lb crop in about 4-5 days. With a crew of 3 or 4 people.View attachment 1333482
A buddy of mine has a trim machine, I've thought about it, but it seems sacrilegious after all the work I put in to chuck em in a spinning shredder of death lol... I've scaled back since then anyway... only 5 pounds last harvest... doable. Plus I like them to look puuurdy. 🤣

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
A buddy of mine has a trim machine, I've thought about it, but it seems sacrilegious after all the work I put in to chuck em in a spinning shredder of death lol... I've scaled back since then anyway... only 5 pounds last harvest... doable. Plus I like them to look puuurdy. 🤣
Yeah they aren't for a personal crop. But generally, 10 LB isn't a personal crop lol... that's why you hand trim the tops haha.
They do rough up the weed a bit. And they make every bud look like a perfectly rounded ball.. which is kinda good for bag appeal honestly. But it robs trichs. I used to pull a qp or so of hash off it after a full day's trimming. Seriously leafy contaminated hash that we ended up using for making honey oil and edibles.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

Ideally we'd like to chop the whole plant, trim the big fan leaves off and let it hang for a couple of weeks. Aim for 70F/55RH for the first couple of days then aim for 60F/60RH. With it being winter it's been really easy to keep it at 60F or lower. Last batch dried for almost 3 weeks. Terps are the most insane we've grown. The Grape Gas literally makes you gag. It's amazing.

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
I give a rough trim, let it dry in the pot and when the bud moisture content is 10-15%, jar them up.
Auto BlueBerry Domina.
what method do you use to check it's dryness? Something i need to get better at in general.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Need one of these things for weight. We used one for everything but the big tops. Could do a 40-50 lb crop in about 4-5 days. With a crew of 3 or 4 people.View attachment 1333482
I remember when those types of trimmers first came out. I was told that the machines were originally made to trim broccoli plants. They had a horizontal mesh cylinder that rotated and trimmed the leaves off of the flower running through it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I remember when those types of trimmers first came out. I was told that the machines were originally made to trim broccoli plants. They had a horizontal mesh cylinder that rotated and trimmed the leaves off of the flower running through it.
Those tumble trimmers are a bit better than these rubber finger deals, never heard about the broccoli thing but the weed kinda does look like broccoli as it's getting worked in them 😆

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
A good grow store has trim machines for rent. 10 pounds or more I'd get a rental at least.
I can't believe how cheap they are now. We paid like $1500 or something stupid. Can buy them for $350-400 now.
Probably still worth renting. They take up a fair bit of space for something you use kinda infrequently.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
depends on plant size.

when i was micro growing, take all the big fan leafs and hang the plants whole.

now, i cut the branches to roughly the same size, and cut them into sections of roughly 18" a piece. something like: tops, mids, lowers. again, take all fan leafs.

i hate wet trimming worse than dry trimming, so this works for me as the plants will dry and initial cure with the smaller fan leafs and singles which a silicon bbq brush take care of reasonably well when going into jars for long term cure and storage.

anything more than five pounds i would get a trimming machine, though, tbh. fuck trimming that kind of weight by hand. two pounds at a time is already enough of a chore.

Ponky

Ponky

I can't believe how cheap they are now. We paid like $1500 or something stupid. Can buy them for $350-400 now.
Probably still worth renting. They take up a fair bit of space for something you use kinda infrequently.
The long tube one they have can basically cut as fast as you can pour it in from buckets. But I think they're still like 2k or so to buy. And the amount of glands it leaves on the ground is absurd. But hand trimming is worse than anything. Won't do it again.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
depends on plant size.

when i was micro growing, take all the big fan leafs and hang the plants whole.

now, i cut the branches to roughly the same size, and cut them into sections of roughly 18" a piece. something like: tops, mids, lowers. again, take all fan leafs.

i hate wet trimming worse than dry trimming, so this works for me as the plants will dry and initial cure with the smaller fan leafs and singles which a silicon bbq brush take care of reasonably well when going into jars for long term cure and storage.

anything more than five pounds i would get a trimming machine, though, tbh. fuck trimming that kind of weight by hand. two pounds at a time is already enough of a chore.
That's why I stopped trimming lol. My one grow per year crops were about 5 lb and all for personal use. Just trimmed as I used it.

Top Bottom