What do you guys think of Air pots instead of fabric pots......

• Thread starter Domon8n30
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Domon8n30

Domon8n30

I thought cloth pots were accurate to gallons because of the straight sides. A plastic nursery pot with tapered sides holds less than labeled.

ie;

3 gallon smart pot is actually 3 gallons. A 3 gallon or #3 plastic nursery pot is closer to 2.4 gallons actual volume?

And you grow in a tent now? What happened to the 2x4 grow racks?
R u talking about my grow room I don't have a tent... I built a grow room...

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
No he was referring to @JWM2

Also wondering no racks bro?

I still use the growing rack. I use it for vegging and trying out new strains. For production I’ve moved to a tent in order to maximize space and yield. When I don’t need to produce I just run the rack. But in all honesty I don’t sell the home growing rack anymore. Just the small commercial 4x4 racks on caster wheels.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I thought cloth pots were accurate to gallons because of the straight sides. A plastic nursery pot with tapered sides holds less than labeled.

ie;

3 gallon smart pot is actually 3 gallons. A 3 gallon or #3 plastic nursery pot is closer to 2.4 gallons actual volume?

And you grow in a tent now? What happened to the 2x4 grow racks?

I still use a grow rack. Just not for production. You’re right on the pot sizing. Which is why I prefer the plastic nursery pots. In a 2 gallon nursery pot I’m using about 1.5 gallons of soil but yielding 3-3.5/oz per plant. Not too bad IMO. But I want to see what these fabric smart pots will do. I don’t expect much more yield but if it’ll cover the cost of extra soil then I’m down. We’ll see if that happens.

CFC7143

CFC7143

why would it?
The egg carton shape deflects the root tips and directs them forward to the little holes and when the root tip hits air it cause several more root tips to grow from that root it’s basically like topping your roots

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The egg carton shape deflects the root tips and directs them forward to the little holes and when the root tip hits air it cause several more root tips to grow from that root it’s basically like topping your roots

Thats a marketing theory like the “air pruning”.

Fluro

Fluro

My opinion is the soil gets more exposure to air so a bit better gas exchange. Air pruning roots basically signals the root to grow in a different direction. The pruning itself doesn't do anything beneficial IMO.
Would examining your root ball after harvest give you a good idea? Have you done that? I've only just seen this forum and come in here? (First time grower in fabric pots).

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Would examining your root ball after harvest give you a good idea? Have you done that? I've only just seen this forum and come in here? (First time grower in fabric pots).
Sure you can.

Madmax

Madmax

Do they leak when watering 😄..i have the impression they would dry out if you have a floor fan oscillating on floor.would make it impervious maybe.?.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Yes they leak, it's a joke of a design. Look at the first page there's a guy doing it right (holes around the bottom not all the way up)

Domon8n30

Domon8n30

I've only used air pots for the first time I've been using them for a lil over a month now and I absolutely love them the airpods seem like they make plants grow way faster I'm going to do a side by side clone test soon as I start growing my photos going to pick three healthy clones from the same plant and I'm going to use fabric pot, air pot, and a regular gardening pot 5 gallon each and see what happens. I'll keep you guys updated if y'all are interested...

Domon8n30

Domon8n30

Here's my auto grow room after a month using the airpots. I didn't expect the plans to get this big cuz their autos so I'm kind of running out of room...

IMG 20210131 215716869
IMG 20210130 180029814
Fluro

Fluro

Sure you can.
Well, has anyone done that? Everyone seems so engaged in the topic? Surely it would prove or disprove the theories? I assume it would be totally different scenario's between the different growing mediums, I bought a whole lot of ordinary plants for the garden on special, they were all root bound in plastic pots so, in plastic pots I assume weed would do the same thing??? Take a look at the image below, what does that tell you
Sequoia Comparison Air Prune vs Slick Wall

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well, has anyone done that? Everyone seems so engaged in the topic? Surely it would prove or disprove the theories? I assume it would be totally different scenario's between the different growing mediums, I bought a whole lot of ordinary plants for the garden on special, they were all root bound in plastic pots so, in plastic pots I assume weed would do the same thing??? Take a look at the image below, what does that tell you
View attachment 1086995

marketing is neat. This may only tell you that when watered the same the plastic nursery pot gets overwatered. So many variables.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes they leak, it's a joke of a design. Look at the first page there's a guy doing it right (holes around the bottom not all the way up)
Do explain....
View attachment 1086995
Mid veg root 1 gal fabric. I'll cut open one today or tomorrow and see. How they are now. Although I did hang 2 pot and all so ill pull it off and look bit i did post a comparison between plastic and fabric somewhere

20201201 134953
quirk

quirk

I orient the holes at the top for training purposes and have no leakage problems. I also put grommets at the top of my fabric bags with no leakage.

IMG 20200427 231347713 2
Under
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
View attachment 1086995
Neither look rootbound.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm stating to really take the opinion that rootbound is another over exaggerated condition and there really isn't such thing until the roots literally break out of the containers. IMO (no I have no documentation on this just an opinion) the issues come from loss of stability in the rootzone. Specifically PH, nutrients and demand of water.

Fluro

Fluro

View attachment 1086995
I'm stating to really take the opinion that rootbound is another over exaggerated condition and there really isn't such thing until the roots literally break out of the containers. IMO (no I have no documentation on this just an opinion) the issues come from loss of stability in the rootzone. Specifically PH, nutrients and demand of water.
Perhaps we could surmize that lots and lots of little roots are XYZ times better for nutrient uptake etc etc than much lesser big thick cables? We can invent a new phenomena Root Enlargia, synopsis anyone?

Latest posts

Top Bottom