What do you think of NFT wth Aeroponics

• Thread starter BillyBoy2020
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BillyBoy2020

BillyBoy2020

Hi guy I've been looking around and wanted to start a new project, at the beginning I decided to build an NFT system.
While I'm trying to look into the technique I thought replacing the water pump with a high pressure pump with sprinklers like in aeroponics .

Anyway here is the 3D sketch

The one tat marked in yellow those are the sprinklers.

Let me know what you guys think of this one.

What do you think of nft wth aeroponics
What do you think of nft wth aeroponics 2
What do you think of nft wth aeroponics 3
Kraken.headz

Kraken.headz

I think that would essentially just be an aero system. The old aeroflo's had adjustable water levels within the channel, to me it seems very similar to what you're proposing.
I would imagine the aero system would grow faster, but you'll almost definitely need a chiller. That big powerful pump will never stop running (unless it crashes, in which case you've got a pretty short window to fix it).
Some good points, some bad points.

BillyBoy2020

BillyBoy2020

I think that would essentially just be an aero system. The old aeroflo's had adjustable water levels within the channel, to me it seems very similar to what you're proposing.
I would imagine the aero system would grow faster, but you'll almost definitely need a chiller. That big powerful pump will never stop running (unless it crashes, in which case you've got a pretty short window to fix it).
Some good points, some bad points.

I actually thought of leaving the pump outside the water to avoid any temperature changes in the water.

Connecting it by one tube that pumping water and the other one passing it forward.

And maybe place a vent on the pump to keep it chilled as much as possible.

The faster growth that what I would like to achieve the Idea of using pipes like the NFT combined with sprinklers that keep that 1005 moisture for the roots instead of flowing water.

Anyway let hope it would work out.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Ok so just my opinion I have been growing in NFT for years it's my favorite method. I have thought about doing something similar to this in the past.

However, I don't think you're going to be very impressed by the results. Most aeroponics allow for and require more vertical growth of roots than the horizontal growth you will see in NFT.

I would highly recommend you find something to use besides PVC pipes for your channels. The point of NFT most people miss is Nutrient FILM Technique.

If you use rounded bottom channels such as pipes you are basically in a fancy DWC setup. You need a flat surface to achieve a film of water that the roots can easily pull nutrients from. I see people with 2 inch deep rivers in their channels and tiny plants, and they usually have root rot issues to boot.

So take those factors in mind. Personally I prefer more, shorter channels compared to less long ones. The longer the channel, the more plants per channel, the harder it's going to have to work to evenly supply all of your plants with food water and oxygen. I build my own channels which I really need to get patented but that's another story.

I would not go any longer than around 12 to 14 feet per channel with no more than 6 or 7 plants per channel. Go any bigger than that, you could see diminished growth in some of the plants.
You may be able to avoid that by providing multiple water inlets similar to what you have shown in your picture. But I don't really think adding aeroponics nozzles will make much difference other than more stuff to get clogged up with gunk over the course of your grow and create more work for yourself to keep it clean.

Do whatever you have to do to seal ALL light leaks in your NFT channels. Don't make excuses not to, that's what a lot of folks say. "Oh all NFT systems have light leaks" .. ..BS! I use aluminum foil or black plastic or whatever I can get my hands on to seal up every single port in every single channel from light leaks. If you do it right and design it well NFT is almost as easy as plug and play growing, but you have to know your system.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I will be glad to offer up advice for this venture!

Good luck, partner! Keep up the good work! 🤠

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I actually thought of leaving the pump outside the water to avoid any temperature changes in the water.

Connecting it by one tube that pumping water and the other one passing it forward.

And maybe place a vent on the pump to keep it chilled as much as possible.

The faster growth that what I would like to achieve the Idea of using pipes like the NFT combined with sprinklers that keep that 1005 moisture for the roots instead of flowing water.

Anyway let hope it would work out.

A lot of this is going to directly involve your grow environment. The temp your water in the reservoir hangs out at is going to be directly relative to the temp of your ambient air in your grow room. I have been using Hydroguard with every reservoir change and don't have any issues worrying about res temps. Luckily my res stays around 66 to 70 degrees so just about perfect.

Definitely keep your air pumps outside of your grow room if you intend on supplementing co2 so it's not pumping co2 into your res.

Superman2955

Superman2955

High Pressure Aeroponics 40 microns
And NFT cause my roots lay in bed at bottom of bucket with a timed drain.

I use PROD MJ nutrient line.

And summer time when it's really warm.
Just use ice packs. Chillers are expensive and break down. Lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom