What do you think of this?

• Thread starter sam_spice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sam_spice

I have been looking into a stealth grow space, I live in student housing and will occasionally have the landlord checking everything is alright. I'm not looking to grow much, just a couple of plants at a time, in soil.

I found this cabinet, and it measures,
W 740mm X H 739mm X D 440mm
http://i9.invalid.com/albums/a51/light_a_match_4130/AtlantaCupboard_A_P.jpg
Would the grow space be big enough?
And I was planning to add 2 computer fans, one to the bottom (intake) and top shelf space (exhaust), a 250 or 400w hid lamp? and covering all the inside space in Mylar.

How does this set up sound?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

B

bonbonbondia

That's gonna only big enough for like 2 small plants at the most. Even then you probably will have to scrog them. Unless you go with one of the auto-flowering short strains.

Of course its also going take you pretty much an entire semester to go a full cycle with anything other than the autoflowering strains.

That's a small space and either the 250 or 400 hps lamps are gonna get real hot in there unless you have a whole lot of air circulation and then you will really need to deal with the smell. What are your plans for dealing with the odor?

You say you are going to attempt to do this in student housing, where you don't really have control of security and a landlord could pretty much enter at anytime to check things out. Have you considered the implications of you getting caught growing MJ in student housing? Will you have roommates or other people in your place? Will you be able to grow in this container completely stealthily? That means no odor, no light leaks, no electrical cables going into a mysterious box, no bags of soil or fertilizers or clippings laying about, that means nobody else knows about it. I would think seriously about this before spending your money...

P

phoenix

I like your style m8,and you can save lots of money in this game by diy.How much is said cabinet?You can get small tents nowadays designed for the job in hand and starting at about £50 for a small one.I f u want to convert something many peeps use argos,but you'll pay £30 and then have to spend time/money converting.
I converted a supermarket delivery trolley that food is delivered in[wood made]i'll try and find the pics for you.
With something like this u need to think about air movement and ventalation.You won't get away with a 400,unless you are in a cold basement or shed[and then u might need a cooled hood for the light-more expense].If it's just a bit of percy your after,say a couple of oz a turn then think about enviro's.I just did my first harvest with enviro's from start to finish,and although smaller and looser the quality is just as good.
Pc fans will help but those & a 3/4" bathroom extractor fit into the top would be better.Think of the pc fans like your oscillateing fans and your other bathroom one as the exrtaction unit.
a suitable strain needs to be chosen aswell buddy,good luck with it.

Bon has made some good points there,your secureity should be paramount,even with a stealth box you will have noise and smell,not to mention supplies trips to and from where you get em,sneaky nosey peeps-if u only want a little i would recommend a guerilla grow somewhere nearby,less heat,more bud and minimakl outlay.

S

sam_spice

bonbonbondia
2 Small plants is enough, It's just for me to smoke. How much (g) would I be looking at per harvest? and approx time in that enclosure?
As for odor I can't afford a carbon filter, neither do I have the space. I wast just thinking of having it by my window, and use a air freshener by the exhaust, odor isn't too much of a problem as I smoke in my room anyway so i try to keep it smelling fresh(ish) anyway. The checks from my landlord never happen really and at a most would stick their head through my door so as long as it would just appear to be a cabinet its ok. If I get kicked out I get kicked out really, i'll find another house share.

phoenix
Thanks, the cabinet is £70 but I need it to look like furniture. I had a look at argos and couldn't find anything suitable as I can't really use a wardrobe. The trolley sounds interesting, I would like to see a pic!
I like the look of enviro's and the price, I just thought that HID was really the way to go, but if enviro's will be adequate I'll go for them. I don't think I can add a bathroom extractor, I need to keep it looking standard but a very good idea.

I'm kind of worried about security but I only have 1 flat mate who wouldn't care, not that I would tell him. I would not let wires be obvious, I've got wires everywhere anyway. And I'll put it out of sight maybe under my desk and make it light-proof. Smell I'm going to look into more thats the main thing that would get me. Plus I would never leave anything like soil or cuttings on show, thats just asking for it. Surely even the police wouldn't do much to a student growing 2 small plants.

Thanks for the quick response!

B

bonbonbondia

Odor should be your #1 issue in regards to security. It isn't like smoking in your room; where you smoke for a bit and it goes away but in reality about 75% of the time you aren't smoking. With growing in there, those plants are going to be spitting out stinky skunky smell 24hours a day. Venting it out a window might be ok, but are your neighbors going to smell it? your landlord?

I don't want to be a downer but IMHO security should really be your #1 issue when designing your grow op. I don't know about in the UK, but in the US if you were caught growing in student housing you most likely would be expelled and lose any financial aid not to mention any criminal charges. Maybe it is different over there, if so, then carry on. :)

With such a small space, short height and quick grow time (quick results and semester-long growing season) your best bet will probably be with the auto-flowering strains. And only bother with feminized seeds as you won't have the space or time to worry about weeding out the males.

F

FastForward

Have a word with SeenTheLight on here - he's got a very stealthy argos drobe going that worked great first run. Also, if you check out the UK420 there's LOADS of closet/drobe/stealth growers there, and a lot of good info re: design.

SeenTheLight uses a aircooled 400w in a 70x50x180 (ish) wardrobe, an RVK100 out, 4" CF, passive in. Walls are lined with diamond mylar. The fan is the real noise, so he's added an airforce controller to it (expensive but worth it) to provide proper stealth/silence. Also, he's very cleverly put in a shitty old 24 port switch on top of the drobe....any old networking gear is great because they have fucking loud fans to mask any other noises :) :yes

Personally, if I were you I'd get a Dark Room 60....60x60x140....they look subtle (black box, that could easily be a hanging wardroby thing at that size)....not expensive.....custom made for the job.....or alternatively, the OLD Clonebox (not the new one, too big, different top). The old clonebox (from Growell, on sale at 90-something quid) is smaller, subtle, and has a metal worksurface on top. Nice kit imho.

Top Bottom