What do YOU use to amend coco??

• Thread starter LexLuthor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Here's the thing--I have a huge vocabulary. But, present me with a group of letters all mixed up and my brain has problems unscrambling them. I have no idea why, I can read backwards and upside down (sister was dyslexic, so bad as a child that she spoke backwards, I was her interpreter), but scrambled? Not so much. I had to give up eggs for it!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Here's the thing--I have a huge vocabulary. But, present me with a group of letters all mixed up and my brain has problems unscrambling them. I have no idea why, I can read backwards and upside down (sister was dyslexic, so bad as a child that she spoke backwards, I was her interpreter), but scrambled? Not so much. I had to give up eggs for it!

I'm the same way, my vocabulary is bigger then my girlfriend, but she plays those games online when you have to unscramble words, and I just sit there clueless while she gets answer after answer. Its crazy how our brain works.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Damn that's a lot how much water you add to that 5kg block right

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

I believe i would fill 8 3 gallon pots when i used the compressed coco. Memory isnt the best but wasnt to long ago.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

It's been along time I think I'm uh test this one out this week

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Instead of starting a new thread, I'd figure I could ask my question here, since this is about coco, right? ;)

I just got the GH cocoTek bricks, green label (pure coconut coir), I was wondering if anybody has used this product and how they liked it because I always see people using canna, botanicare, ect., but never cocoTek. They also had the red label (mixed coir) or something like that. I guess its pith just like the green label, but has coco chunks mixed in and maybe other stuff??

Anyways, if anybody has used either product please give your feedback here, thanks in advance.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Hahaa, I just noticed jkbeing said he used the cocoTek bricks lol.

I got the 640 grams (1.43 lb.) brick, I guess they make blocks that are bigger but my shop didn't have them. So, from the info above, 5000 gram block came out to 24 gallons in size, thats about 4.8 gallons per 1 kg (1000 g). So my bricks are 640 g, which based on the math from the info given, they should expand to about 3 gallons. GH says the expand to 2.5 G and someone on another forum said it was about 2 G, but I guess it depends how much water you use,

Does the mixture of coir matter?? Basically, will the pure coco coir expand more or less then the mixed coir??

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm pretty sure my 5kg bricks are CocoTEK. I learned to not try to expand them using very cold water, but I need to figure something out for heating when I do the next bale.

I add rice hulls to stretch my mix more than any other reason. I like to do it around 30%-40%. Rice hulls were my replacement for perlite. Next up! Rice hull biochar in the mix.

BOOYAH! Like that.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I'm pretty sure my 5kg bricks are CocoTEK. I learned to not try to expand them using very cold water, but I need to figure something out for heating when I do the next bale.

I add rice hulls to stretch my mix more than any other reason. I like to do it around 30%-40%. Rice hulls were my replacement for perlite. Next up! Rice hull biochar in the mix.

BOOYAH! Like that.

So you add the rice hulls as they are expanding in water, could I use perlite for that or should I expand the bricks, then mix in the perlite?? The Perlite would probably just would float to the top.

P.S. I know you don't recommend perlite, but I'm using it this run anyways. Probably use hydroton next.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, I expand the bricks first, and when expanding I typically mix up a mild nutrient solution and add in Ca and Mg to the water I use for expansion. Then, once they're expanded and done, I add in rice hulls and whatever else I want to mix in.

The perlite pretty much always floats to the top. Pain in the ass.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Instead of starting a new thread, I'd figure I could ask my question here, since this is about coco, right? ;)

I just got the GH cocoTek bricks, green label (pure coconut coir), I was wondering if anybody has used this product and how they liked it because I always see people using canna, botanicare, ect., but never cocoTek. They also had the red label (mixed coir) or something like that. I guess its pith just like the green label, but has coco chunks mixed in and maybe other stuff??

Anyways, if anybody has used either product please give your feedback here, thanks in advance.
coco tek is fine I used these for years becuase in the midwest that all you get. Rinse well and maybe charge with a little cal and n ute

Latest posts

Top Bottom