What else should I add to my soil?

• Thread starter Smokeyjojackson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Smokeyjojackson

I am going fully organic this run and am wondering what else I should add to my base soil without having to wait for it to "cook".

I have looked through a lot of soil recipes and for this first run I am trying to keep it somewhat simple.

I am running about 60% roots organic, 20-25% EWC 15-20% perlite and about 1/3 cup of dolomite lime per container. I am curious as to what else I should add to that to help get through the cycle.

Will this be sufficient to get the plants through the cycle or is there something else I should add?
I am coming off the General Organics line and trying to keep it simple yet keep the quality of the flowers where they have been.

I am currently drying the mix out as the EWC was extremely wet and the pots felt like they had been watered already once they were filled. It is spread out under 4kw of lights with a 70 pint dehumidifier running to speed up the process.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
There's a LOT you can add, and you could have dropped the perlite completely (in favor of rice hulls in my world), that should be added if your goal is to get the plants through their full cycle adding nothing more. Because I have no idea the size of your containers, I can't tell you if that's sufficient lime for pH balancing.

Alfalfa--pellets or meal
Bonemeal
Neem seed meal
Cottonseed meal
Crab shell meal
Fish bone meal
soft rock phosphate
greensand
gypsum (gives Ca and S without shifting pH)

the list goes on and on...

But most importantly what your soil mix needs to really be a great soil is mineralization, i.e. rock dusts. The more the merrier, and volcanic dusts are generally more complete in terms of providing the full suite of minerals.

Drying out the worm castings may very well kill the microbes. You don't really want to do that. You do want to get the soil inoculated with microbes, learn about using aerated teas.

Um... there's a lot more to this subject. Have you looked at threads like Post Your Soil Recipe?

S

Smokeyjojackson

The pots are just over 3 gallons and there will be right around 50 of them.The soil felt almost saturated was why I was drying it out a touch. It is on plastic on a concrete floor so every time I turn the soil it is still moist but not saturated like it was. I understand that too dry will kill my microbes. I should have said "attempting to dry a little". I did a couple transplants into it and the plants drooped hard like they were overwatered and the pots were extremely heavy.

I did look at the post your soil recipe thread. I actually already built a simple airlift for a 50gal drum to run ACT.

Last tea I made contained EWC, Molasses, Seaweed, Fish emulsion (sourcing some hydrolysate) and was brewed for about 30 hours.

I will make a stop today and see if I cant find some of the goodies on the list. I appreciate the help and any other suggestions are welcome.

Can the green sand, bonemeal etc be added without letting it "cook" before I use it? I have to transplant this week.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Personally I am of the opinion that there is nothing you can add that won't need a "cooking" period. This cooking period allows all the organic inputs to begin their decomposition process. It is this initial stage of decomposition that will burn your plants. I always allow my soil at least a 30 day cooking period after mixing, and I recommend the same to anyone who asks me directly.

S

Smokeyjojackson

If there is no amending that is possible with a transplant this week what beyond feeding ACT should I do to have a successful flower cycle?

Should I just go back on the General Organics line for this run while I cook up some good soil?

Edit: Neptunes Harvest is an option as well. It is actually OMRI listed unlike GO line of nutes.

Last edited:
S

ssteely71

If there is no amending that is possible with a transplant this week what beyond feeding ACT should I do to have a successful flower cycle?

Should I just go back on the General Organics line for this run while I cook up some good soil?

Edit: Neptunes Harvest is an option as well. It is actually OMRI listed unlike GO line of nutes.

If you cant take the time to cook your soil you can try to just use a 2-3" layer of super soil at the bottom of your container and use a regular potting soil like FFOF for the rest. That way the super soil can cook a little before the roots reach it. Worked for me in the same situation. Best of luck.

HouseOfWojo

HouseOfWojo

Needs to cook. The whole idea behind the soil you are trying to make is that you are feeding the soil, and the soil will then feed your plant. You have to give it time to build up life before you can get the full benefit. Personally I think you would be wasting if you try and jump the gun or do a quick cook. Grow em in the soil mixture you already have, maybe use a budswell tea in flower to help them along(i have also under-filled my containers and then when plant seems it wants more food, top the rest of the pot with new potting soil) . Then, when you are about 30-60 days from the next round needing the soil, mix it up, let it cook, and then use it. You wont be sad you waited.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The pots are just over 3 gallons and there will be right around 50 of them.The soil felt almost saturated was why I was drying it out a touch. It is on plastic on a concrete floor so every time I turn the soil it is still moist but not saturated like it was. I understand that too dry will kill my microbes. I should have said "attempting to dry a little". I did a couple transplants into it and the plants drooped hard like they were overwatered and the pots were extremely heavy.

I did look at the post your soil recipe thread. I actually already built a simple airlift for a 50gal drum to run ACT.

Last tea I made contained EWC, Molasses, Seaweed, Fish emulsion (sourcing some hydrolysate) and was brewed for about 30 hours.

I will make a stop today and see if I cant find some of the goodies on the list. I appreciate the help and any other suggestions are welcome.

Can the green sand, bonemeal etc be added without letting it "cook" before I use it? I have to transplant this week.
Yes, all can be added without having to allow decomposition prior to placing plants into the mix, none will burn. Of course, it will take some time for the microbes to 'eat' those nutrients and make them plant-available again.

I know this is in direct opposition of the conventional wisdom and practices, but it's often how I end up doing things, mix & go. I generally don't do a lot of feedings through the season, either via soil drenches or foliars, so I think it works just fine. Often it's better the next year (hinting that some "cooking" time is good), but it's never been so bad that I've burned or lost plants.

Manures are generally too "hot" to be transplanted into immediately, but many other organic amendments are just fine, especially the rock dusts, no worries with those burning. Everything I've listed is stuff I regularly use though.

S

Smokeyjojackson

I appreciate all of the help!

My local nursery had some smaller 4-5lb box's of bone meal, blood meal, alfalfa meal, but no rock dusts at all.They sounded confused when I asked about greensand or soft rock phosphate, they had gypsum but it was pelletized so I skipped it.I believe

I read on microbman's website that he adds a bit of rock dust to his tea.

I will check whats available at the shop I frequent but if there is a more affordable source I would love to know.

The 25 gallons of tea I am brewing since last night contains EWC (10 cups), Unsulphered Molasses (100ml), Seaweed (50mil). I am awaiting my Neptunes harvest Fish/seaweed to arrive on Wednesday and I will use that in the next run likely.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Does he? I don't recall, but he's always testing out new recipes so it wouldn't surprise me. I do recall him saying that kelp/seaweed tends to suppress microbial cultures, though.

Bloodmeal *does* have to be cooked, it's one of those hotties.

I think you ought to be able to use the pelletized gypsum just fine. For the other products... I don't know where you are, but I usually order mine online from groworganic.com. But it sounds like you are on your way!

HouseOfWojo

HouseOfWojo

Good news Smokey, I always get so excited walking out with all those amendments in anticipation of the new soil! Keep looking around for the rock dusts, I live in Colorado where we have hydro and grow shops all over the place, but even some here do not carry any of the stuff I need, just have to get lucky and find one that does. Although, I was at home depot yesterday and saw they are carrying an organic blood meal.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You can try these folks for local rock dusts. The guy I contacted totally dropped the ball after the first couple of responses. You'd think that in mining/logging/ranching/farming country I'd be able to more easily find rock dusts, wouldn't ya?

http://www.rockdustlocal.com/index.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom