What fans are you guys using

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CF89

CF89

I just use the cheapies on amazon. You'll go through so many fans, you'll wish you took stock in one of the manufacturers. You don't really need gail force winds either, just get that air moving. As Aqua Man said, under and through the canopy is key.

so with that being said maybe my setup will be optimal. It’s a mesh grating with a 4” (soon to be 6”) shooting air from the bottom through a 2” Y that splits into two.

the current fan now (clip on royal sovereign) wouldn’t even make my lighter dance from across the tent. Sad.

316B86AD 72B6 481B 8426 B8595520EA7E
tobh

tobh

Supporter
So, out of curiosity, why do you require oscillation? Multiple 6" clip ons, configured the right way, will create a vortex of sorts.

There was an article that discussed this phenomena in hydrodynamics and applied it to ventilation (gasses behave very similar to fluid). I can't recall exactly what they referred to the concept as (wish I could) but oscillation isn't really a necessity imo if you configure your fans correctly.

For instance, in my tent, I have three clip on fans, each staggered ~12" above the other, and angled slightly up. One is facing west, one north, one south. This creates an air movement progressively moving intake air up and towards the exhaust port. Once it's needed, I'll add a single 12" fan under the canopy, facing east, which will in effect create an effect similar to a tornado, or vortex. This in turn will ensure there is no stagnant air anywhere in the tent, and completely exchanging all air in the tent (not that that's an issue now). No oscillation needed, and potentially much better exchange of gasses per minute.

CF89

CF89

That works too. I just didn’t want 4 fans clipped on each post. Thought about that. Room is an issue, so is power draw and multiple cords etc. I’ve only got a 4x4 tent and plan on scrogging so that would be hard. Not to mention the clip on fans I’ve found hardly even move any air. I think metal blade is the key. And brand name. No China shit.

I don’t think I need oscillating. It’a not worth the headache.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Here's some illustrations for example. The lower right hand corner is the 12" fan, assume the others are 6".

PXL 20201205 033352743

PXL 20201205 033357871

CF89

CF89

that would work awesome for a room. or a bigger tent. I need to get out of this 4x4.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Also in a 4x4x7, I understand the space constraints ;) here's my tent. Given the plants are still relatively small, I have the fans pointing opposing each other now, but once things get a bit bigger they'll be adjusted accordingly.

PXL 20201205 033804709

CF89

CF89

very nice!! basically what im aiming for...RDWC SCROG LST LED lol.

I need to invest in more yoyos.. youve got no shortage of them. id also like more cross braces up top. those seem expensive and are almost easy to make yourself.

nice setup. I think ive got quite a bit more lighting and would do 5 bigger buckets so would have less head room but still good to see it can be done in 4x4s.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Just keep in mind your space constraints. 4x4's don't offer a whole lot of room. Last run I did five 3 gallon smart pots with promix, and it was cramped once into flower. Sure, with only two sites veg time is a bit longer, but I feel like it's a better use of the space.

Another grower I follow uses a single 19 gallon garbage can in his 4x4's. one plant, scrogged. Average pull is 2.5 lbs, heavy yielders are 3+. Dude also has his full system automated.. something to be envious of haha

Edit: I'm in yoyo hell. I need to build an aluminum frame for the qb boards. Running right about 540 actual watts with the blurple in there, it'd be 480w without it. but having 10 yoyos for light adjustments is bullshit.

CF89

CF89

haha yeah that would be annoying. im at 480w QB kingbrite too. so were very similar. I hope to be where youre at within 6 months at the latest.

I was wondering about using a giant rubbermaid brute. is there such thing as too big? 2.5 lbs is nuts. I got 2.5oz.....

tobh

tobh

Supporter
haha yeah that would be annoying. im at 480w QB kingbrite too. so were very similar. I hope to be where youre at within 6 months at the latest.

I was wondering about using a giant rubbermaid brute. is there such thing as too big? 2.5 lbs is nuts. I got 2.5oz.....

So it depends. Guys are able to run big ass plants in a 5 gallon bucket, DWC. I'd stick with what works, unless doing RDWC. The reason for this is you don't want multiple plants in a site. That breeds a ton of issues.

My sites are 3 gallon food grade buckets filled with hydroton. Fed by a 340gph pump, runs every two hours for 15 minutes. The tote you see in the corner of my tent is a 19 gallon sterilite tote, I put 12 gallons solution in it, mostly for the stability factor. I think it's too small still though, I'd rather run closer to 30 gallons for my two sites. But, alas, space constraints determine final sizing.

CF89

CF89

why cant you have that tote outside of the tent? at that point can use a 55 gallon drum.

I think id like to stick with DWC for now and not have a pump and leaking connections and all that bs. one, giant, single, DWC setup would be nice. or 4 smaller seperate ones. I wouldnt mind draining each one individually for the first grow or two to make me appreicate the RDWC setup and think of some ideas. I got nothing but time.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
why cant you have that tote outside of the tent? at that point can use a 55 gallon drum.

It was a design flaw. I designed this system to run outdoors, and am relying on gravity for the return. In order to pipe the return back to the reservoir, I would have had to get creative with my plumbing, or cut a hole in the tent, which isn't an option yet. So I sacrificed some floor space and put the res in the tent. This will probably be the only time I run this setup in the tent. I hope to have the UC designed and built by the time this run wraps up, then I'll cut a hole or two for the plumbing at that point.

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

Just switched to the small Honeywell turbos in my 5x5 they are killing my last fans adjustable direction and fit perfectly in the corners

Latest posts

Top Bottom