What Grow Method For Highest Yield In 3x3x6 Tent?

• Thread starter NoThc4me
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NoThc4me

I'm on my first grow now with a scrog and as you can see from the pictures, there is a lot of free space above. I chose scrog since I read it produced the highest yields- especially with low penetration cfls- 3 x 250 watt.

I'm looking for opinions on the best way to utilize my space for max yield using my current lighting, as well as if I switched to a 600watt hps.

Thanks!
What grow method for highest yield in 3x3x6 tent

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

yeah, with CFL's you want to keep them in a scrog...what kind of temps do you have in the tent? You may get the same temps with a 600 vs those 3 250cfl's...

If it were me, I'd use an LED or a 600 depending on the temps...I'd go vert and bigger 6'-7' plants with the HPS...mainlined and smaller (3') with the LED....

Danky Mcnugs

Danky Mcnugs

I run a 3x3 with a air cooled 600w. As long as you are exhausting out of the room and have central air conditioning, or if the room is no higher than 70-72 you will be perfect. 600w rocks it in a 3x3

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I'm on my first grow now with a scrog and as you can see from the pictures, there is a lot of free space above. I chose scrog since I read it produced the highest yields- especially with low penetration cfls- 3 x 250 watt.

I'm looking for opinions on the best way to utilize my space for max yield using my current lighting, as well as if I switched to a 600watt hps.

Thanks! View attachment 522093
Just my opinion.
Go with a deeper medium, veg for a little longer, make sure to fill your screen fully before you flip to flower, and keep the undersides cleaned out for zero larf will increase your yield.Best of luck.
Peace

Wildill

Wildill

That looks amazing RG420 is tear 4 plants under the scrog what yields are you getting of that?

RG420

RG420

That looks amazing RG420 is tear 4 plants under the scrog what yields are you getting of that?

Thank you, Yes 4 cuts in 11 litre square pots was averaging 300g - 450g a scrog depending on strain

RG420

RG420

Currently got 10 multi strain plants in 6.5ltr pots under 600w in a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2 tent, first run from seed, looking at 2Oz a plant 1.5 Oz min :)
Reckon 9 cuts in 6.5ltrs would smash 2Oz a pieace! That's how I'm doing it 6 x 6.5ltrs in the 90 x 90 x 180 and 9 in the 1.2 x 1.2 x 1.2.
Scrog would be 4 11 ltrs pots in the small tent and 6 in the big one, that way you cut down veg time! ;)

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

Def veg those guys out a little further. Those cfls will get better penetration if you remove big foilage that creates a ton of shade

N

NoThc4me

yeah, with CFL's you want to keep them in a scrog...what kind of temps do you have in the tent? You may get the same temps with a 600 vs those 3 250cfl's...

If it were me, I'd use an LED or a 600 depending on the temps...I'd go vert and bigger 6'-7' plants with the HPS...mainlined and smaller (3') with the LED....

The tent is 6ft tall and I thought you need like over a foot of space from the canopy with hid? Wouldn't that max the height at like 4-5 ft?

I run a 3x3 with a air cooled 600w. As long as you are exhausting out of the room and have central air conditioning, or if the room is no higher than 70-72 you will be perfect. 600w rocks it in a 3x3

I'm having a hard time with the heat issue actually I have to cool the room to 67 (window ac) to keep the temp between 79-82 in the tent.

I'm only using the bottom two 6" openings with ducts for ventillation on the tent to keep light out. From what you're saying, an air cooled hid might be cooler? Those 250 cfls give off a lot of heat. I have a 240cfm fan exhausting the tent.

I've been growing in a tent that size for years and scrog or sog with a 400w duel spec Is the way to go! ;)

View attachment 522676

6 cuts of RP's Sour Kush

Looks really good! I will google dual spec? I was actually considering 400 for less heat but everyone seems to recommend 600. I was looking at a 600 cool tube with dimming ballast so I could run it at 75% if need be.

N

NoThc4me

Def veg those guys out a little further. Those cfls will get better penetration if you remove big foilage that creates a ton of shade

I didn't know how much to expect for stretch so the screen isn't quite full. I think it would have been had something not gone wrong when I switched to 12/12 and leaves started dying. I don't know if it was heat, nutes, or too much pruning at once too close to the flip.

I'm not sure what foliage to remove? Everything is clear below the screen under a few inches. There's just a ton of shoots growing because of the strain and topping a lot.

N

NoThc4me

Just my opinion.
Go with a deeper medium, veg for a little longer, make sure to fill your screen fully before you flip to flower, and keep the undersides cleaned out for zero larf will increase your yield.Best of luck.
Peace

Thanks but the photo is deceiving. That's 2 plants, each in a 7 gallon container. It just looks really shallow. Here are some more pics.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

Yea, that photo was VERY deceiving lol. They look great. Im not the most experienced guy, but i do know a good amount of folks who face light penetration issues pluck their shade leaves that block bud sites or nodes. You could try experimenting, deleaf an area and see if you get better budding results. For rule of thumb with foilage. Pluck flatout leaves that arent newly developing, and that block light from any budsites or nodes. experiment.

Side note... I just read up on this technique called "defoliation" posted by @KiLoEleMeNt i feel like this technique might work for you in your low-light penetration sitch if your into experimenting and mutilating your plants. But like i said, i just read it. I dont know if it works... Im experimenting with it myself

Maybe if we can get him in here he can link you to it, i forgot where i read it

Danky Mcnugs

Danky Mcnugs

@NoThc4me yes I would bet on a air cooled hood being cooler than what you are running now.

N

NoThc4me

Thanks... I removed some of the leaves earlier that were blocking some sites.

@NoThc4me yes I would bet on a air cooled hood being cooler than what you are running now.

That's what I'm thinking too. I'm stuck though between trying to figure out what I would do with those 3 hoods and the 6 cfls that were like $50 each. (3 veg and 3 flower). I'm kind of in a tight spot because spending another maybe $200 on an air cooled setup might be better in the long run than running the window ac 12 hours a day full blast with the door cracked for fresh air.

On the other hand I'm pretty invested in these cfls already. I thought I was saving money initially but soon realized I needed more of them. Hind sight is 20/20.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

On the other hand I'm pretty invested in these cfls already. I thought I was saving money initially but soon realized I needed more of them. Hind sight is 20/20.

Its all a learning experience my dude. I spent at least a few hundred i didnt need to on my very first setup (check it out i just posted it in general indoor growing) learn from it. Backup equipment comes in handy sometimes too. Im sure it isnt a total waste. People make pretty decent crops with cfls. But 6 cfls @ 50 each?
I bought my 400w hps ballast, glass enclosed hood and a bulb for 200$ altogether my dude. Local hydro stores will generally cut you a good deal if you let them know your on a tight budget. Are those the self ballast cfls? Very cool man. Dont let those go! Keep working on that heat issue.

If nothing else, maybe a bigger fan blowing across the cfls might help, those looks a little dinky. Something with higher power should help. Maybe some more power to your exhaust out. An exhaust fan eith a higher cfm rating? I cant tell what your running.
Temps above 80 arent good, i read it slows down growth and opens the door for pests, diseases... That sort of thing.

Is the ac inside the tent? Does the tent stay closed?

Last edited:
gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

Id be considering switching up to that 600w hps in the future, but grow a couple crops out with those cfls see how it goes. You can always use them as supplemental light if you chose to upgrade. But i feel like id dig vegging under a couple of those guys, they put out a ton of lumens and work well suspended in between plants horizontally with no hood.

Maybe Save money on electricity only running an hps for flowering. And using those cfls for veg, they pack plenty of power for veg.

Food for thought. Like i said, im a beginner. Id like to hear confirmation or disagreement from a more seasoned grower

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

The tent is 6ft tall and I thought you need like over a foot of space from the canopy with hid? Wouldn't that max the height at like 4-5 ft?
no, if you ran it vert, you hang a single bare bulb in the center of the tent with a fan blowing up on the bulb. You put the plants around the bulb and let them hit the ceiling if you want...so, the only lost height would be in your pots...so yeah, your max would be around a 5' plant...

I really think some of these scrog grows are amazing...

N

NoThc4me

no, if you ran it vert, you hang a single bare bulb in the center of the tent with a fan blowing up on the bulb. You put the plants around the bulb and let them hit the ceiling if you want...so, the only lost height would be in your pots...so yeah, your max would be around a 5' plant...

I really think some of these scrog grows are amazing...

You mean a single hid or cfl? Hid would burn the plants in the center from direct contact and only one of the cfls wouldnt be enought light, correct?

Id be considering switching up to that 600w hps in the future, but grow a couple crops out with those cfls see how it goes. You can always use them as supplemental light if you chose to upgrade. But i feel like id dig vegging under a couple of those guys, they put out a ton of lumens and work well suspended in between plants horizontally with no hood.

Maybe Save money on electricity only running an hps for flowering. And using those cfls for veg, they pack plenty of power for veg.

Food for thought. Like i said, im a beginner. Id like to hear confirmation or disagreement from a more seasoned grower

Yes I could use them for veg but I would still have 3 2700 cfls for flower not being used ($150). I think I'll just use the cfls till they burn out.

Top Bottom