What Happens If My Living Soil Freezes?

• Thread starter OrganicLit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fangthane

Fangthane

Knowing basically nothing about organic soil, I have to ask: If freezing would actually kill off all microbial life in the soil, would that actually be disastrous? With all of the products readily available for the sole purpose of adding beneficial microbes to soil, would it it really be that big of a deal to have a die-off?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
It happens in nature on a constant basis. The microbial life will survive just fine.

Otherwise my yard would be nothing but sand. It was just -15 degrees F outside a couple days ago and will be that cold again next week. In the spring once the ground thaws within a short amount of time my lawn will green back up and look as if nothing had happened.

The microbes in your soil will do the same.

Ina

Ina

Otherwise my yard would be nothing but sand.
But what if the soil is sealed in a bag,stored somewhere?May be it would freeze more that way,completely? I'm also interested because I have that bag of worm casting,forgotten outside on my village?!Can I use it like nothing happened in my soil mix for next year?:)Or may be pour it in my garden and buy fresh one?In the big garden centers and nurseries I have seen frozen bags many times,they just leave them outside in the winter?!i'm sure it is not proper storage.....

Homesteader

Homesteader

Good question. The microbes just go dormant and begin to break down nutrients again once the weather warms. This does depend on how cold you are talking though, some life will die off if the temps get too low but its unlikely that all would die off because some are insulated deeper in the soil. Some populations will decrease though and others wont.

Last edited:
Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Freezing your soil will kill off a good portion of your microbes, the rest will become dormant and wait for higher temps. When my castings get old and I want to give them a boost, I just make a compost tea from said castings, and water the castings with it. Recharges the soil sort speak.

Ina

Ina

Freezing your soil will kill off a good portion of your microbes, the rest will become dormant and wait for higher temps. When my castings get old and I want to give them a boost, I just make a compost tea from said castings, and water the castings with it. Recharges the soil sort speak.
How did not I figure it out?!:)Thanks!So I will get another bag in the spring and mix it with the old one before using….

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

nemtodes are the same,stored in frezzer and then applied around first of feb were im at,there just dormant

hillbil

hillbil

nemtodes are the same,stored in frezzer and then applied around first of feb were im at,there just dormant

I grew up where ground froze 2’ to 6’ in the winter. Came back fast in the Spring. I keep various amendments and used mix on the deck and they stay very alive even if they freeze @nd thaw a few times. Carry on.

Top Bottom