What heater for grow tent.

• Thread starter Willisbrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I have a small oil heater with a manual switch and thermostat in my tent. That means it can be controlled by another device. Right now I'm running it on a timer so it comes on when the lights are off. Setting the thermostat can be difficult, though. Last night it got so hot I had to turn it off. I don't know why it decided to run so hot all of a sudden. My tent is in the house, though, so it will be no colder than the temperature inside the house. I can't run the heater through my fancy controller because the company is out of stock of the part needed to do it. I'll probably buy an Inkbird controller to use till the part for my controller is back in stock sometime next year. I see they have controllers for both temperature and humidity. I need both.

W

Willisbrow

I use an exhaust system by IPower that has a phone app that you can use for adjustments while on the go. The nice thing about this carbon filter fan is it will rev up to a higher speed when my RH hits my preset limit so that it exhausts excess humidity but then settles down to the lower speed setting I've set it up for. AC Infinity makes a similar fan and controller and I'm sure someone else out there does too. I use it to help keep the heat in with the extra protection of exhausting at high humidity.

My setup is in my heated basement where so far this late fall run, I have not had to use anything else. I do have a sheet of foam insulation on the floor and that helps a lot. There's been a few times on the coldest nights in past years where I've used an electric heater plugged into a temperature controller. Otherwise, I'm able to maintain my lows in the upper 60's without much effort.

Where I live, it would be a struggle to control temperatures in my unisulated, unheated garage without spending a bunch of money. I hope your winters are milder than they are here in the mitten state.
I live in San Francisco where it doesn’t get cold. But my room is in my uninsulated and very drafty garage. Recently my temps and humidity have been a little betttet but def not optimal. Highs 75-77. Lows 59-60. And the RH ranges from 44-60. It’s weird. I have a dehumidifier in there set at 50%. But since my temps drop below 64 degrees it doesn’t work proberly during lights off. I have to figure that out.
I just put a humidifier in there running at max humidity and tan speed. So hy RH has been higher with lights on.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I live in San Francisco where it doesn’t get cold. But my room is in my uninsulated and very drafty garage. Recently my temps and humidity have been a little betttet but def not optimal. Highs 75-77. Lows 59-60. And the RH ranges from 44-60. It’s weird. I have a dehumidifier in there set at 50%. But since my temps drop below 64 degrees it doesn’t work proberly during lights off. I have to figure that out.
I just put a humidifier in there running at max humidity and tan speed. So hy RH has been higher with lights on.

You can seal up the interior of the garage easy enough with rolled plastic sheeting and a staple gun. It comes in varying sizes, lengths and thickness. Use duct tape to seal seams if you feel you need to go that far. I think that would work in San Francisco ... just not in Michigan. I'm more inclined to heat the space that your tent is in than trying to heat the tent. The lung room that was previously suggested is another great idea. It might cost a bit more to construct but the time and effort would be worth it. The air entering the tent would already be conditioned as opposed to trying to control everything inside the tent.

W

Willisbrow

You can seal up the interior of the garage easy enough with rolled plastic sheeting and a staple gun. It comes in varying sizes, lengths and thickness. Use duct tape to seal seams if you feel you need to go that far. I think that would work in San Francisco ... just not in Michigan. I'm more inclined to heat the space that your tent is in than trying to heat the tent. The lung room that was previously suggested is another great idea. It might cost a bit more to construct but the time and effort would be worth it. The air entering the tent would already be conditioned as opposed to trying to control everything inside the tent.
I like the idea of a king room more than trying to heat my whole garage. It would be easier to build a smallish lung room than it would be to seal up all the holes in my garage. My garage is pretty big and has lots of holes to let cold air into.

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

My Grow Tent is in an upper loft area in my garage. My garage is climate controlled, except that space is 1000 sq ft and is part two story (loft area).

Meaning, I am too cheap to heat it much more than 66ºF in winter.''

The lights keep the tent plenty warm. In fact, I pump that nice 66º air into my tent to maintain the mid-70s during lights on. My issue is during lights out.

My passive radiant heater (posted earlier about it) works perfectly. Although, so did the oil-filled radiator. I just wanted to free up some floor space.

Over in the UK, they have these things called: "Ultra Flat Grow Room Heater"

These are perfect for a grow tent, but I can find U.S. or Canada-compatible versions over here. They kind of work like the defroster in the back windshield of cars.

They only heat to 65ºF, but I bet that would be perfect for some folks who get pretty cold at lights out. I looked at having one shipped over here (they weigh less than a pound in weight (360g)), but they run on 220v.

Here is what they look like:

Here is the products propaganda:

ULTRA FLAT GROW ROOM HEATER​

This perfectly flat, ultra-light heater can be easily suspended by a single hook. This heater makes keeping a consistent environment simple – protecting plants from sudden temperature drops and humidity fluctuations and can be used in almost any environment. It can be rolled up for easy storage and transportation. A built-in economical stabiliser maintains the temperature at 65°. This heating system reproduces the effects of the sun for flowers and plants without burning oxygen.

KEY VALUES:​

• Flat & ultra-light
  • Humidity resistant
  • Can be rolled up for easy storage and transportation
  • Built-in stabiliser
  • Warm-up within 10 sec

SPECIFICATION:​

• Voltage: 220-250 V
  • Heats room up to 15m2
  • Consumption: 0.5 kw/h
  • Working temperature: 65°
  • Life expectancy: 10 years
  • Weight: 360gr
  • Thickness: 0.12mm
  • Dimensions of deployed radiator: 1200 x 580 [mm]
  • Packaging dimensions: 600 x 65 x 65 [mm]
  • Warm-up time: 10 sec

W

Willisbrow

My Grow Tent is in an upper loft area in my garage. My garage is climate controlled, except that space is 1000 sq ft and is part two story (loft area).

Meaning, I am too cheap to heat it much more than 66ºF in winter.''

The lights keep the tent plenty warm. In fact, I pump that nice 66º air into my tent to maintain the mid-70s during lights on. My issue is during lights out.

My passive radiant heater (posted earlier about it) works perfectly. Although, so did the oil-filled radiator. I just wanted to free up some floor space.

Over in the UK, they have these things called: "Ultra Flat Grow Room Heater"

These are perfect for a grow tent, but I can find U.S. or Canada-compatible versions over here. They kind of work like the defroster in the back windshield of cars.

They only heat to 65ºF, but I bet that would be perfect for some folks who get pretty cold at lights out. I looked at having one shipped over here (they weigh less than a pound in weight (360g)), but they run on 220v.

Here is what they look like:

View attachment 1305664View attachment 1305665View attachment 1305667

Here is the products propaganda:

ULTRA FLAT GROW ROOM HEATER​

This perfectly flat, ultra-light heater can be easily suspended by a single hook. This heater makes keeping a consistent environment simple – protecting plants from sudden temperature drops and humidity fluctuations and can be used in almost any environment. It can be rolled up for easy storage and transportation. A built-in economical stabiliser maintains the temperature at 65°. This heating system reproduces the effects of the sun for flowers and plants without burning oxygen.

KEY VALUES:​

• Flat & ultra-light
  • Humidity resistant
  • Can be rolled up for easy storage and transportation
  • Built-in stabiliser
  • Warm-up within 10 sec

SPECIFICATION:​

• Voltage: 220-250 V
  • Heats room up to 15m2
  • Consumption: 0.5 kw/h
  • Working temperature: 65°
  • Life expectancy: 10 years
  • Weight: 360gr
  • Thickness: 0.12mm
  • Dimensions of deployed radiator: 1200 x 580 [mm]
  • Packaging dimensions: 600 x 65 x 65 [mm]
  • Warm-up time: 10 sec
That looks pretty good! My dad is English and has a house in England and in California. Maybe I can ask him to buy me one and bring one back. Only problem is that he is in California right now and not sure when he is going back to England

W

Willisbrow

Could I use a grow tent as a lung room? I friend of mine had one that he said I could have. I dont really feel like building a box with 2x4 and plywood.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Could I use a grow tent as a lung room? I friend of mine had one that he said I could have. I dont really feel like building a box with 2x4 and plywood.
I’m sure it could be done but I’d just build out a room with 2x4 and panda film. This way you just put the tent in the room and pull conditioned air into tent passively.

Then your just a half step from sealing it and running c02. Put gorilla tape down where you staple. Last much longer this way.

I’m sure there are plenty of YouTube videos on making rooms with panda film or whatever plastic really.

W

Willisbrow

I’m sure it could be done but I’d just build out a room with 2x4 and panda film. This way you just put the tent in the room and pull conditioned air into tent passively.

Then your just a half step from sealing it and running c02. Put gorilla tape down where you staple. Last much longer this way.

I’m sure there are plenty of YouTube videos on making rooms with panda film or whatever plastic really.
So the title of my post is misleading. I’m not growing in TENT. A friend built me a box with 2x4s and plywood in my garage. It’s 5.5’x5.5’. It would be way easier and cheaper for me to set up a tent and run my heater in there.

W

Willisbrow

I used caulk all around the inside so that there would be no light leaks

Top Bottom