What is Best Veg Light ?

• Thread starter MinerClan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MinerClan

MinerClan

I am looking at replacing an LED COB for the purpose of Vegging.

I'm new to gardening and the likes and though the light is nice it doesn't seem to be dimmable.
It also concentrates all of its light in the middle its not even lighting on a 4x4 and it I have to keep it 24 inches away from canopy.

I don't like it.

There must be better options.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

T5 or mh. Lots of blue little red. I know people who veg with a florescent and i know people who veg with 1000w.

All growers grow differently.

MinerClan

MinerClan

Can I combine lighting like using a MH but also using something that can deliver a broader spectrum.

If so how can I ensure the light creating a broad spectrum like T5s are reaching the plant if I'm also using a Metal Halide.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You can combine lighting to your heart's content.

Most bulbs sold for growing will have a spectrum available — some a lot more detailed and some a lot more smoothed. So when you say a broad spectrum like T-5s, you are talking about a particular T-5 tube with a particular spectrum, not all T-5s.

Typically, flower spectrums are 3000K - 3500K, veg spectrums are generally 4000K - 6500K. You can get T-5s for either, or mix them in a fixture for a broader spectrum.

You can also use MH or LED. These will also produce good results, but may have drawbacks for your particular situation.

MinerClan

MinerClan

You can combine lighting to your heart's content.

Most bulbs sold for growing will have a spectrum available — some a lot more detailed and some a lot more smoothed. So when you say a broad spectrum like T-5s, you are talking about a particular T-5 tube with a particular spectrum, not all T-5s.

Typically, flower spectrums are 3000K - 3500K, veg spectrums are generally 4000K - 6500K. You can get T-5s for either, or mix them in a fixture for a broader spectrum.

You can also use MH or LED. These will also produce good results, but may have drawbacks for your particular situation.
I think I get it.

In Veg I can go 600 micro moles per second for 18 hours to reach desired DLI

How do I know at what hieght to hang a t5 6500K to ensure that the canopy is receiving 200 micro moles per second.

In that way I can hang the MH at a hieght that will give the extra 400 micro moles per second.

I hope I make sense.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You can be within a couple of inches with a T-5, about 18 with an MH.

The problem with this is the T-5 fixture will be blocking the light from the MH, unless you have one of the lights coming in from the side.

MinerClan

MinerClan

Right so this is what I'm getting at.

Also if the t5 is 6 to 8 inches away it will be delivering roughly 400 micro moles per second. Which is fine if it didn't block the other light source and I can ensure the other light source isn't emitting a intensity that will put me over my Daily Light Integral. ⁷

I think it must be placed above MH.

But still ensure that the light is reaching the plants canopy at a specific intensity.

I guess I will have to look at the make and models specs.

But this has been super informative

Now I can make a decision without compromising the things I THINK I want.

Top Bottom