What is F1?

• Thread starter Cocktails
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Cocktails

Fellow Farmers, I have got some cindy99 f1's on there way for my 1st ever grow. but since have been reading that f1's are not stable. what does this mean and have i made a mistake getting these beans? i have heard great things bout cindy99 but now a bit concerned. Any help much appreciated. Peace

B

bicycle racer

f-1's are stable in that they share equal amounts of traits from each parent if you grow out a few f-1's all will have similar growth and traits basically a 50/50 mix of each parent. now if you make seeds from the f-1's you will get cindy99 f-2's these will not be stable and will show many different phenotypes. if you keep inbreeding to f-5 or more then you can begin to stabilize traits you prefer. f-1's are fine to grow and you can always clone if your happy with the plants. also often times f-1's have great vigor because there less inbred than worked over stable lines. i like growing f-1's i always get good results.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
In my mind, to be able to have c99 f1 you would be getting seeds from the Original P stock that made the C99 that started the craze off.

IE, an F1 is a first generation cross of two (normally) unrelated and ideally landrace strains.

I very much doubt there are many true C99 F1 seeds knocking about these days. If you do indeed end up with some your a very lucky and well connected guy.

Good luck

C

Cocktails

hey herbalizor, i got them from the farm here off mosca seeds. are you sayng they could be something else?

R

REGISTRD

lol^^^^ do I smell false advertisement.....

IF thats the case Thats BULLSHIT... MONEY BACK GUARANTEE???

C

Cocktails

i hope not, i heard mosca is a good guy. can the pineapple be in say an f4 or f5. or is it just the f1.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Tricky one.

Mosca’s C99 F1 is the result of recombining two distinctly different Cinderella 99 inbred lines which should give rise to a variety of phenotypes and strong hybrid vigour.

Ok so that is Mosca's wording.

I personally do not agree but I am also finding it hard to say 100% what I would call the cross. F1 I certainly do not as, to me, an F1 is a result of 2 completely unrelated lines. Ok his lines of C99 may be unrelated, If this was the case then surely one line can not be c99.

I think I would probably call this an IX of some kind. (Incross) or perhaps an F2. Or simply a polyhybrid of the Nth generation.

But whatever, Mosca is cool and I am no breeder.

C

Cocktails

so what does he mean by variety of phenotypes and vigour.will i def get the pineapples? im a newbie and just wanna clear things up

B

bicycle racer

yeah not likely true f-1's unless crossed out to something very different which would of course mean it would be a cross involving c99 and not purely that strain alone.

C

Cocktails

ok so they may not be f1's but does that really matter as im not wantin to breed or produce seeds? im looking for that special pineapple mother. will i find her ?

ISeemToBeAVerb

ISeemToBeAVerb

Nobody can tell you that for sure Cocktails. You'll just have to grow out the beans and see what you get. It doesn't really matter though, C99 is some great smoke, pineapple pheno or not. Good luck with your first grow!

-Verb

J

Jack Griffin

Settling the F1 question

F1 is a term used in genetics and selective breeding. F1 stands for Filial 1, the first filial generation seeds/plants or animal offspring resulting from a cross mating of two distinctly different parental types.

The offspring of of these distinctly different parental types produce a new, uniform variety with specific characteristics from either or both parents.

In plant and animal genetics those parents usually are two inbred lines. Mules, for example, are F1 hybrids between horse and donkey.

C

Cocktails

cheers jaxk but i kinda meant in a growing sense, thanks though dude

D

dank.frank

Okay...first of all, I want to explain in a bit more detail here what some have already stated.

The F1 is the initial cross. (a x b) In this generation, you find fairly homogeneous, plants that express a fairly even balance of both parents. Some traits from A and some traits for B. These plants also show more vigor and usually express higher yields. When you move forward and take (a x b) x (a x b) you now have created an F2 generation. (we'll call these "c") In the F2 generation you find expressions of ALL parental material involved. This means that the plants show expressions of not only a and b, but also the parents that were used to make a and b. So this technically means the grand parents. For the example lets say that "a" was created using (g x h) and "b" was created using (y x z). So in the F2 generation you are going to see expression of (a x b) and also expression of (a x g, a x h, a x y, and a x z) also (b x g, b x h, b x y, b x z) NOW, each one of these plants in the F2 generation is going to recombine in any number of ways. Meaning a plant could be 10% "a" x 90% "b" or eve 50% "a" x (30% "b" x 20% "z").
Basically, the F2 generation makes available, if enough seeds are sprouted, EVERY POSSIBLE recombination of genetics that exist within the line...not just the mother and father, but also the grandparents, the great grandparents...etc. This is why plants that are poly-hybrid (consisting of 3 or more genetic lines) are nearly impossible to isolate for given traits and why it takes soooo very long to do a proper breeding project, where the goal is to have a seed line that is consistent for a single or set of desired attributes.

Remember earlier I mention we would call the F2 line "c". So when breeding (c x c), or the F2 line together, you are taken to the F3 generation. IF the selected parents from the F2 line shared known or desirable traits, then the F3 line should be MORE consistent for producing these selected traits...however, there are still going to be traces from the grandparents, or whatever else might have been set free when making the F2 line.

It is to be understood that when people on forums make their own seeds and call them "F2" generation, that may not be entirely accurate. It is assuming that the breeder they bought them from never developed a line past the (a x b) initial cross, or F1 generation. This is HIGHLY unlikely that a breeder would release such a line. MOST offerings made by hobby breeders label as "F2" should be understood as...one generation from the breeders stock. Meaning the breeder has possibly taken the line to f6 or f7, but to designate the seeds the hobbyist made as being from original breeder stock, we call them F2. This is why in most cases, you see some breeders and hobbyist, calling something an Ix, or incross. An incross is MORE accurate a description when you make more beans from a known breeders seed line, because it doesn't suggest what generation the seeds are, but simply that it was, for example blueberry x blueberry, with both parents coming from the same breeding stock.

NOW THEN Moving forward and to start a new confusion of letters...hahaha. These letters no longer correlate to the above one...hahaha...to explain what Mosca has done with his C99 and to answer your question.

One of the BIGGEST reasons that C99 was SOOO loved and declared a "holy grail" was because it was relatively TRUE breeding. Meaning that when you took Grimm F1's (a) and bred them together (a x a) your F2 generation actually produced a DRASTIC number of plants that actually looked IDENTICAL to a. Which is VERY unusual, as I just explained. This trait is known as true breeding, and for whatever reason, Bros Grimm hit the nail on the head with c99. It has ALWAYS been a relatively true breeding genetic line. How cool is that? So breeders, professional and alike ate it up. Now, keep in mind that original c99 while being considered true breeding DID express two main phenotypes. A more common grapefruit pheno and a lesser but still very common pineapple pheno. These 2 phenotypes were still just as consistently found, in ratio, in the F2 generations, still making possible to categorize it as relatively true breeding.

Reeferman, grew his C99 from Grimm stock. He selected his plants for the higher yielding, denser, larger colas, fruitier, grapefruit expressions within the C99 line. He breed this line many generations to make his seed lines consistent for those given traits he loved. He breed it to a point of what is known as an IBL (inbred line, which essentially designates something as true breeding) Now, how is this possible if c99 was ALREADY true breeding...???!!! REMEMBER, I said relatively. He created a line of c99 that was true breeding for the grapefruit traits / phenos and for the most part worked out the pineapple phenos because it was his choice and his prerogative.

Now WallyDuck took original Bros Grimm c99 in a different direction. He enjoyed the pineapple, more sativa expression of the c99 line. It was a different flavor, had smaller buds over all, a bit more spicy, grew a bit different in structure. It was a different pheno he chose to focus on. Now Wally took his c99 multiple generations and breed it to a point of consistency and IBL status. (usually F6 and beyond can start to be considered IBL IF, IF, IF the breeder made proper selections) His seeds grew plants that consistently represented the traits he had selected for.

Now here comes Mosca. He took what is essentially two separate IBL lines of C99, Reefs and Wallys, although originating from both Grimm stock original parents, they had been breed for so many generations in essentially a different direction. One breeder had perfected and isolated one set of given traits, and another breeder has isolated and perfected the other set of given traits. What you are looking at is BOTH phenotypical expressions of c99 separated to IBL status...and then RECOMBINED to a line that once again will have expressions of BOTH plants...ala, a solid recombination of all traits that the original Bros Grimm c99 was known to have expressed. In my opinion, this was nothing short of sheer brilliance for Mosca to recognizes this and see the potential that was held within both lines...and to realize what could be gained by once again bringing them back together.

IS Mosca's c99 a TRUE F1...well, yes and no. It is technically an IBL x IBL...which when breed in laymans terms seems to be an F6 x F6 (don't quote this...is is merely example, I am not certain how far each breeder, meaning Reef/Wally, took their lines, so it could be an F5 X F7 or F6 X F5...not sure...but I know they both took them many generations. I will use F6 just as a figurative representation that both lines have been heavily worked) Anyway...in laymans terms, it seems to be an F6 x F6 which doesn't = F1, now does it? WELL, actually and technically, maybe not. BUT, BUT...IT DOES. The reason for this being, is that it is the MOST accurate way to describe what Mosca did. He took two plants that are IBL for separate traits, and combined them. This would be no different than taking Pine Tar Kush (a known IBL) x Skunk #1 (another IBL). The result of this WOULD be a TRUE F1, simply because it is the first recombination of two separate, pure, true breeding lines. WELL, that is EXACTLY what Mosca has done with his c99. He has taken two separate, true breeding IBL's, and recombined them for a first generation of seed...this, my friends, IS most accurately described and labeled as an F1. So while it takes a bit of understand and some time to wrap ones head around the concept...I think Mosca is 100% correct in his naming scheme.

The only reason I stand behind this, is because it took me quite a bit of time and research to verify and understand this claim myself...but once I did the study...It was without a doubt, the most accurate way to name this seed line. And what he gave us, was an awesome plant that has once again united all the known and beloved traits of the original Bros Grim C99.

Like I said, personally, once I understood it, I found it to be VERY clever and and intelligent breeding strategy.

dank.Frank

M

Mosca Negra

Breeder
Supporter
Thanks for everyone's comments and perspective. I really appreciate this discussion because it says to me "Growth". Growth in knowledge!

If anyone here who has posted, so far, had grown out both Cinderella 99 lines you would know what I am trying to explain in my description. Both Cinderella 99 "lines" are unique in their own ways (i.e. structure, yield, flower characteristics, consistency, etc.).

I call them separate Cinderella 99 lines because after growing them out, I saw very different plants that the Breeder's had selected for; not to mention the environment effects on the lines in which they were grown in. You see, Wally grows and selects his plants outdoors and his plants are shorter and more Sativa leaning than Reef's. Very different Cinderella 99 lines when grown next to one another.

Reef's Cinderella 99 are bigger more robust plants that are heavy stemmed with bigger yields. Maybe Reef can chime in and give his perspective on his Cinderella 99 line. Both lines had offspring that carried the highly sought after Pineapple pheno. Therefore, I thought it would be a wise idea to select special parents from both "Lines" and bring them together to not only carry the pineapple trait but to overcome the depression that comes from too much inbreeding. This way, I could select for the original traits the Brother Grimm designed the line to be.

Simply put, I discussed the F1 term with other Breeders before using it because I wanted to confirm it really made sense. This is why I have always said, the term F1 may not be perfect, but it does explain the cross.

Lastly, my next goal with my Cinderella 99 lines is to bring my lines together with the Original Brothers Grimm Cinderella 99 line. I have received original seeds from several sources and will begin working with these soon. I believe this will make for the strongest & and most complete Cinderella 99 line available anywhere.

Mosca

D

dank.frank

AWESOME Mosca. Thanks for chiming in, I really appreciate it!

dank.Frank

B

bicycle racer

dank frank explained the current f-1 situation very eloquently my thoughts exactly.

R

Reeferman

I would call this a c-99 bx using 2 breeders work its a bx as its back to the same strain from the same initial source bred in 2 different directions perhaps by 2 different breeders .
They are not f-1's they are line selected back crosses .
As they are siblings .
Reef

C

Cocktails

Thanks Farmers. alot of help here, i think i understand. hell who gives a hoot when i got pineapples growing in my garden. Dank much love for your effort's dude.

D

dank.frank

I would call this a c-99 bx using 2 breeders work its a bx as its back to the same strain from the same initial source bred in 2 different directions perhaps by 2 different breeders .
They are not f-1's they are line selected back crosses .
As they are siblings .
Reef

Hey Reeferman...glad to see you chiming in as well!! I love it when the big wigs come out to play.

You say a Bx. Not to call you wrong or argue, but to get an understanding...as you obviously know more about breeding than I do. Educate me here...

Would it not, if anything else, be considered an Ix? I mean, neither of the lines has ever been outcrossed, so essentially, we still have c99 x c99, right?

I order for it to be a Bx, would it not have to be a combination like this - c99 x (c99 x ?)

dank.Frank

Latest posts

Top Bottom