What is happening to leaves?

• Thread starter bigfarmerisbackintown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bigfarmerisbackintown

I have some plants, all are in flowering stage. All have same type of white dots. What can it be?

What is happening to leaves
What is happening to leaves 2
What is happening to leaves 3
m8ty

m8ty

You have to spray for bugs two weeks before flower and a second time when you start to flower... Now it's too late 😞

Mothman

Mothman

I’ve never had thrips, but there are some control measures available. I can’t vouch for them, but this Dinafem blog post seems solid to me.

There are other possible reasons besides thrips for these dots all over your leaves, although it does look like thrip damage that I’ve seen in photos.
  1. Have you inspected for 1-1.5 mm rice-looking critters? (Thrips)
  2. Do you see any tiny shiny snail-like trails? (Thrips)
  3. Do you have yellow sticky traps installed? If so, are there thrips on them?
  4. How far along are you in flower? Are you averse to introducing biologicals or parasitic insects?
  5. In addition to the apparent thrip damage, it looks to me like you have a mobile nutrient deficiency (maybe potassium) or maybe it’s just normal late-flower leaf die off.
IMG 3439

Eledin

Eledin

Oh man thats a shame... it does look like thrips yes, leaf septoria starts similar but at this advanced stage you would already have brown spots all over the place. If you are gonna use neem oil keep in mind that some compounds can be inside the plant for up to 1 month and theyre sulfuric compounds so it might affect the taste. I think potassium soap is effective enough and will degrade quicker, usually its combined with neem oil but for thrips it can be used on its own in higher doses.
"Potassium soap is especially good for thrips and mites. It's better than other soap sprays because it's gentler on the plants. All you do is add 20 mL of Potassium Soap to a litre of water. Apply it liberally to the plant, focussing on where the pests are located."
Its a bit too late for treatment but there you go if you wanna do it anyway. I would clean the plants before smoking it with a bud wash of water with hydrogen peroxide aswell. Mostly to kill remaining larvae and wash away dead bugs and any residue left if any. This video is for powdery mildew but it kills thrips too, I chose this one because with other solutions you can find online they use too much hydrogen peroxide and burn the buds. (Been there, tastes awful)

B

bigfarmerisbackintown

Oh man thats a shame... it does look like thrips yes, leaf septoria starts similar but at this advanced stage you would already have brown spots all over the place. If you are gonna use neem oil keep in mind that some compounds can be inside the plant for up to 1 month and theyre sulfuric compounds so it might affect the taste. I think potassium soap is effective enough and will degrade quicker, usually its combined with neem oil but for thrips it can be used on its own in higher doses.
"Potassium soap is especially good for thrips and mites. It's better than other soap sprays because it's gentler on the plants. All you do is add 20 mL of Potassium Soap to a litre of water. Apply it liberally to the plant, focussing on where the pests are located."
Its a bit too late for treatment but there you go if you wanna do it anyway. I would clean the plants before smoking it with a bud wash of water with hydrogen peroxide aswell. Mostly to kill remaining larvae and wash away dead bugs and any residue left if any. This video is for powdery mildew but it kills thrips too, I chose this one because with other solutions you can find online they use too much hydrogen peroxide and burn the buds. (Been there, tastes awful)
Thanks mate, that was very helpful!

B

bigfarmerisbackintown

I’ve never had thrips, but there are some control measures available. I can’t vouch for them, but this Dinafem blog post seems solid to me.

There are other possible reasons besides thrips for these dots all over your leaves, although it does look like thrip damage that I’ve seen in photos.
  1. Have you inspected for 1-1.5 mm rice-looking critters? (Thrips)
  2. Do you see any tiny shiny snail-like trails? (Thrips)
  3. Do you have yellow sticky traps installed? If so, are there thrips on them?
  4. How far along are you in flower? Are you averse to introducing biologicals or parasitic insects?
  5. In addition to the apparent thrip damage, it looks to me like you have a mobile nutrient deficiency (maybe potassium) or maybe it’s just normal late-flower leaf die off.
View attachment 1959000
Thanks for the help, it was definetely thrips. I have already got rid of them.

Top Bottom