What is happening to this flower?

• Thread starter CapnChronic003
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CapnChronic003

CapnChronic003

This photo is of week 9 prior to harvest. Noticed in week 5 this flower top was flattening, hardening and "finishing" while the rest of the flower continued to grow. Currently my best assumption is either light leak stress or maybe any other form of stress. However, this isn't prevalent in the rest of the room or even on the entire cultivar. It is randomly occurring which makes me think it's not light leaks or something like that. Any ideas? Anywhere I can find some specific information on this?

Picture1
threatco

threatco

This photo is of week 9 prior to harvest. Noticed in week 5 this flower top was flattening, hardening and "finishing" while the rest of the flower continued to grow. Currently my best assumption is either light leak stress or maybe any other form of stress. However, this isn't prevalent in the rest of the room or even on the entire cultivar. It is randomly occurring which makes me think it's not light leaks or something like that. Any ideas? Anywhere I can find some specific information on this?

I would consider that an early stage fox-tail.

I am no expert. A google of the term will tell you about as much as I know.

Here is one relevant link. https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-how-to-spot-and-handle-cannabis-foxtails-n638

I can tell you I have had it happen, and while not as pretty, the bud is just as good as the rest of it and smokes fine.

Good luck!

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
How low is your light I’m having a little of same problem so I but my light up to 36” above canopy and it seems to have stopped the start of fox tailing , regards Od

CapnChronic003

CapnChronic003

How low is your light I’m having a little of same problem so I but my light up to 36” above canopy and it seems to have stopped the start of fox tailing , regards Od
The light is fairly close to the top flowers but I've been measuring PAR and leaf temps and nothing is out of the ordinary. Under the LEDs we use, I've had flowers finish just fine literally inches from the lights so I've been tending to not lean towards that as the problem but I guess anything is possible at this point because I can't put my finger on it.

CapnChronic003

CapnChronic003

I would consider that an early stage fox-tail.

I am no expert. A google of the term will tell you about as much as I know.

Here is one relevant link. https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-how-to-spot-and-handle-cannabis-foxtails-n638

I can tell you I have had it happen, and while not as pretty, the bud is just as good as the rest of it and smokes fine.

Good luck!

The rest of the bud continuing to grow around it definitely shows signs of foxtailing, but its almost more of the very top stopping growth and the rest of the bud swelling around it. Most of the foxtailing I've seen doesn't include the "flat top" but more of an elongated top due to heat and light stress. Like I've said though anything is possible at this point. I'm taking all bits of advice for sure.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
The light is fairly close to the top flowers but I've been measuring PAR and leaf temps and nothing is out of the ordinary. Under the LEDs we use, I've had flowers finish just fine literally inches from the lights so I've been tending to not lean towards that as the problem but I guess anything is possible at this point because I can't put my finger on it.
I under stand I’m using HPS 400 w in 2 3x3x 6 tents and new set up with LED light so I’m new to led lights it can’t be heat stress under LED can it ? Anyway fox tailing is a bit ugly but ugly girls need loving as well . Good luck with the harvest n curing . Regards OD.

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Foxtail, at least with my experience. In my case, I believe it was from too much heat, but it might be different with yours.

What's your temp and humidity?

Some actually like it when that happens and I don't think it effects the potency. I could be wrong, but I couldn't tell.

Hope this helps.

CapnChronic003

CapnChronic003

Foxtail, at least with my experience. In my case, I believe it was from too much heat, but it might be different with yours.

What's your temp and humidity?

Some actually like it when that happens and I don't think it effects the potency. I could be wrong, but I couldn't tell.

Hope this helps.

This specific bud was harvested and tested very high, both total cannabinoids and THC so yea its definitely not detrimental but I am trying to put my finger on it.

I am getting a lot of foxtail responses but to be perfectly honest the leaf temps are standard, 71/72/73 F and the humidity is anywhere from 50-60 during the time this was spotted. Its a very large room, two-tier rolling racks and 176 total light fixtures, 1056 plants. So theres certainly plenty of room for variables and potential for certain spots being hotter or wetter.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yes it is caused from heat stress I’ve just notices the my temps as the plants grow gets slightly hotter in my HPS tents , but my led grow stays at 27.7 deg c and my Hps tents have reached 32 to 36 deg c that’s my max I let my plants in , I’m thinking I need to get another exhaust fan to set up on both tents to help reduce my 36 deg c down a bit more to 30 to 32 degrees c .

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yup foxtailing... Some genetics are a bit more prone. But can be heat/light stress. If your under 1000ppfd and not seeing any bud bleeching I think you should be good. I lower my temps for the last week or so, you may find that will help. Haven't dealt with it much but personally it wouldn't overly bother me if I wasn't seeing heat/light stress

Top Bottom