what is kief?

• Thread starter iamachavvy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

iamachavvy

I've seen this mentioned in a few threads and cant work out what it is or what it means?!?

Can someone please explain please??:worried

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
kief is unpressed hash usually dry processed - screens - kief boxes - tumblers all seperate the trcihomes from the plant

150090d1306801922-agricultural-pollen-extractor-used-dry-ice-wifi_kief.jpg.att

some kief I made the other day

150089d1306801922-agricultural-pollen-extractor-used-dry-ice-white_mcfly_kief.jpg.att

the APE Tumbler (agricultural pollen extractor)

109670d1287635639-my-first-outdoor-since-1984-ape.jpg.att

genepool

genepool

Also u can use a water extraction method & make some bubble hash it's yummy!

I

iamachavvy

Does the kief taste better than normal weed then? And is the high different or the same?
What about bubble hash? Whats that?
Sorry, i've just never heard these terms before?!?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
bubble hash is ice water exctraction - I know you can find some threads here that give you detail on the process

either process is just taking the active ingredient (thc) off the vegative matter

so its gonna taste, smell and be more potent

H

HiImNick

Hm I'd have to say kief tastes a lot more chemically.. I usually suggest that new smokers who want to smoke hash smoke kief first, considering that hash is essentially kief but further refined. The smoke from kief is a lot harsher than regular weed but doesn't nearly pack the punch that true hash does. You can get some of your own kief through screening your trim/buds or buying at least a 3-compartment grinder. The bottom section catches kief that is screened from your ground bud.

I

iamachavvy

I don't understand, surely if Kief is purely thc, the active ingredient, then it would be a lot more potent than weed itself and wouldn't be recommended for a first time smoker?!? or am I just misunderstanding what you have said

S

SLO Grown

Kief or keef, sometimes kif (from Arabic: كيف kayf, meaning well-being or pleasure[1]) refers to the resin glands (or trichomes) of cannabis which may accumulate in containers or be sifted[2] from loose dry cannabis buds with a mesh-#30 kiefing screen or sieve. Kief contains a much higher concentration of desired psychoactive cannabinoids, such as THC, than other preparations of cannabis buds from which it is derived. Traditionally kief has been pressed and baked into cakes as hashish for convenience in storage and shipping, but can be vaporized or smoked in its powder form.

S

SLO Grown

That is amazing!

kief is unpressed hash usually dry processed - screens - kief boxes - tumblers all seperate the trcihomes from the plant

150090d1306801922-agricultural-pollen-extractor-used-dry-ice-wifi_kief.jpg.att

some kief I made the other day

150089d1306801922-agricultural-pollen-extractor-used-dry-ice-white_mcfly_kief.jpg.att

the APE Tumbler (agricultural pollen extractor)

109670d1287635639-my-first-outdoor-since-1984-ape.jpg.att

I

iamachavvy

I don't understand, surely if Kief is purely thc, the active ingredient, then it would be a lot more potent than weed itself and wouldn't be recommended for a first time smoker?!? or am I just misunderstanding what you have said
i know this isn't a stupid question as two people have said two different things. I just want to know the facts :)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
we arent saying 2 different things really - some kief isnt as strong as hash because there can be a lot of particulate plant matter in it - I have made people puke off smoking my bubble hash/kief and even finger hash

so as a newb smoker you want to go ez for sure on any concentrates

S

swayzie

we arent saying 2 different things really - some kief isnt as strong as hash because there can be a lot of particulate plant matter in it - I have made people puke off smoking my bubble hash/kief and even finger hash

I wanna puke

H

HiImNick

Yep. You must be high enough already if you didn't understand my post haha (@whoever was asking I forget your screen name).. if you read carefully I was saying that kief is a lot more potent than just flowers but nowhere close to hash (hash is refined kief! or pressed. or butane extracted). And kief is not per se 100% THC as it does have plant matter--this plant matter is removed from the final product during water and butane extraction (as read above).

So that's the basic explanation of hash. Kief is, as you said, more potent than just weed. But not close to hash.

And same here bro, I've made people puke off bubble hash hits. My friend actually had a massive panic attack off of a hit to the dome. Kief I recommend for an intermediate smoker but hash is definitely for the experienced STONER.

M

MIway

i know this isn't a stupid question as two people have said two different things. I just want to know the facts :)

Kief is but all those glandular heads, without most of the plant matter... so the strength of the thc is the same (same source material), but the overall concentration is higher... as you are refining the nugs down to just pollen.

You have a reduction in refining... say 1g of nug will net .1g of kief, just to keep the math simple & round about.

You could take that .1g of kief in one hit.

But it would take say 4 hits to get the same 1g of nugs down.

Either way, the same amount of total thc is taken, just one hit is super concentrated... the kief/pollen/hash.

D

dank_

hash = just trichomes

kief = hash with some plant particles (great for taste IMO)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
lolI dont understand all the confusion here

kief is just hash before its pressed

hash is a generic term for pressed extract - water wash - finger hash - bubble hash -

I can take a teaspon of kief out of my bowl and press it into hash using only my fingers in just seconds

I prefer to leave it as kief

D

dank_

I understand all of the confusion.

I have defined kief/hash by what I see it as. I prefer my definition because I believe it is more specific. See previous post.

But you, motherlode, are correct by definition. I never press my keif, but it I did, I would not call it hash.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
maybe its a generational thing - Im assuming your younger then me

when I was a young lad hash was from Morocco or Afghanistan

and good weed came from Thailand and Panama

the mmj movement, the popularity of good weed grown stateside and the prevalence of bubble bags sure have changed things over the years

Top Bottom