What is my girl doing?

• Thread starter unknowntheknown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
unknowntheknown

unknowntheknown

Hello everyone,

I have a tahoe clone that I acquired from a friend. I haven't really committed to growing yet as I don't have a dedicated place setup to flower at the moment. I have a downstairs closet setup with a table, fan, and HO T5 fixture at the moment which I usually do seed starts for my garden. I intend to keep this alive as a mother plant and maker her bushy for clones for winter once the temps drop and I don't need to run an AC as much.

My cuts been droopy recently and a few leaves started to be unhappy. She is in a one gallon pot with pro-mix bh soil in it. I've been watering her with jacks 20-20-20 all purpose since I had it on hand but have been on the light side like 1/16 or 1/8 a teaspoon per gallon every few waterings. I don't have a tester to check the ppm or ec currently. I pH the solution from 5.8 to 6.2 usually.

I'm thinking that this is phosphorus but what do you think?
What is my girl doing
What is my girl doing 2
What is my girl doing 3
What is my girl doing 4

unknowntheknown

unknowntheknown

I've been watering whenever the pot is light. I'd say every 3-5 days and I've been watering until small amount of runoff. I have no dedicated space to control the environment to a T so that isn't surprising. Currently it's 78.1 F and <20% humidity which is normal where I live.

Much appreciated

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

I'm going to go out on a lim and say under watering.

With humidity that low your transpiration is going to be high, and with watering as infrequent as you do, in that size of a pot, she's prolly thirsty as fuck.

unknowntheknown

unknowntheknown

I'm going to go out on a lim and say under watering.

With humidity that low your transpiration is going to be high, and with watering as infrequent as you do, in that size of a pot, she's prolly thirsty as fuck.
Thanks for the limb. My gut does lean more towards under water / underfed instead of excess salt buildup and over watering. I know at least when it comes to feeding I've been on the very light side. My buddy told me that the tahoe enjoyed her "dry downs" so I have been trying to let her use most of her water between cycles but I'm no watering pro so should probably not let her dry out as much until I know her habits better.

I'll bust out my humidifier to assist with the out of sorts VPD.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You are going to have trouble at <20% RH.

So why does relative humidity matter when we are talking about stomatal opening and closing? Life exists in a constant battle to reach equilibrium. Chemicals at a high concentration will want to move to areas of lower concentration to maintain this equilibrium. Water is a chemical compound and as such will want to diffuse or move accordingly. This is where the plant stomata come into play.

For example, if the relative humidity surrounding the leaf is low, then this gradient will want to pull water from the plant. This is why plants, especially grown in containers, can dry out quickly and wilt when the wind is blowing and the relative humidity is low.

This stimulus (along with darkness) can trigger the closure of the stomata. This may sound great, especially when you think about plants under drought or water stress, but this also significantly reduces uptake of carbon dioxide, which reduces photosynthesis.

A reduction in the rate of photosynthesis is obvious as there will be a stunting of growth and an overall lack of vigor. If this scenario played out continuously, it would result in energy starvation and plant death.

Whole article here:

unknowntheknown

unknowntheknown

Same plant after watering a bit more frequently, feeding a bit more, and increased humidity from ambient ( <20% RH ) to 40-60% RH.

Thanks for the input for those who did. Already looking better but not 100% perfection.

L

Lllaadyel

Just Trying to learn something here, are you supposed to always water to runoff? I grow in grow bags, 5 gallon. I use a probe to check moisture, but I usually don’t have actual runoff or very little.

unknowntheknown

unknowntheknown

The thread shows I'm obviously not a pro so I'll let others elaborate. Feel free to go off on any tangent that is needed here or feel free to diverge into another thread. I grow cacti and succulents way more than I do cannabis. I'm so used to being able to feed low and water infrequently that I almost got myself in trouble by doing that with my cut above. I suppose being in that boat is better than the opposite of overwater overfed though 😜

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Just Trying to learn something here, are you supposed to always water to runoff? I grow in grow bags, 5 gallon. I use a probe to check moisture, but I usually don’t have actual runoff or very little.
I use a big Rubbermaid totes, I’m running autoflowers so there smaller and easy to pick up in the 5 gallon grow bags, I pick up 2 at a time and put them on plant stands in the tote and then water, wait 10 minutes then water again until I get about 15-20% runoff, it’s a hit of work but the grow tent stays clean and I have very minimal water that sits in the trays when I’m done since I let them sit in the Rubbermaid until they just about stop dripping

Method probably wouldn’t do so well with large Photos but if I was doing those I’d probably cut down rubbermaids to like 5” tall and just keep the plants in them and figure out a water removal solution to empty the totes after watering

Defenitly glad I started watering to runoff my I was using light feedings but the runoff from my plants was near 3,000 so last watering was water only and tomorrows watering will be too to see if I got it down, noticed some purple stems I’m assuming is excess neuts built up

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I don't water with any runoff, but then again I am using organic dry nutrients so might not be ideal for your grow style. Organic nutes don't get nearly as much salt build up and you don't need to flush or water to runoff with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom