What is one to do in this situation? HELP needed now.....

• Thread starter bonsaiguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sky high

sky high

Reading between the lines i believe you are pissed because you are landlords and have gotten screwed before by tenants, again it goes with the job.

Another move again to find a sympathetic landlord, yea right, you sure you guys are legit?

On point #1..... I'm old enough to have seen what renters with no respect do to other people's property. As a result, I have never rented any of my homes to anyone else. (I own them and grow in them myself....far more fun and far less hassle than letting some clown fuck up yer shit and act like it it his home when it just >isn't<)

as far as "legit"..... a buncha the guys postin here were growin when a buncha you were still squirtin Hershey's in yer diapers...and certainly..long before AZ voted in MMJ ....

be well.... and be ready to move in 30 days notice...'cus MMJ laws or not, the landlord can boot you on most leases in most States with a 30 day notice for WHATEVER reason he decides upon because..um..it is ultimately HIS house, not yours.

s h

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I lied i will spoonfeed. ARS 36-2801 section 6 "enclosed', locked facility" means a closet, room, greenhouse or other security devices that permit access only by a cardholder' now that's pretty easy to understand if you ask me, and if i was a landlord i'd be worried about being arrested.

You can read 36-2813 titled discrimination prohibited, the only way the landlord can discriminate is if he will loose federal funding due to federal law.
Too bad the CUA has no such language, and SB420 is going down the toilet as I type. Caveats do appear to abound from what you've posted, and it appears that it's specific to the grow area, not the rest of the home.
Everybody be sure to be upfront to a landlord and say "oh by the way i grow medical marijuanna, you dont' have a problem with that do you?" You don't have any family members I need to worry about robbing me do you?" common, your ridiculous... lol I do have a house I'll rent you sky high,, just let me know, you can trust me.. Your a well known farmer who doesn't know the basic rule of trust nobody?
As a former landlord, I would tell that tenant to go find another place to grow. We've been there and done that. Not only did he NOT pay the rent, he ended up shafting us for a full year of his utilities, and 2 years worth of garbage collection. That doesn't even address the damage he did to the house itself, it was un-fucking-believable what the guy did.
I would rent to MMJ patiens. What to know why? They would ALWAYS PAY THEIR RENT. Not to mention If they wanted to modify stuff I would be in the loop instead of them fucking the house off.
No they don't, and they're very likely to seriously damage the place, too. Few renters seem to give a shit about someone else's property, this is a truism in my world. People who grow pot can be among the worst, especially if they feel disenfranchised, which is not the fault of the landlord.
Ive never had anyone ask to grow MJ on my properties but if they did id say no problem if you do it outside but i would not let them do it inside,My buddy did this and ended up with like 12 grand in damages,they completely fucked up the wood floors with water,damaged all the drywall and screwed up the electrical big time and he was damn lucky they did not burn the place down.Most people dont know wtf they are doing and have no respect for others property,they just hack in a grow thinking there gonna make a bunch of money and then when all their plants die because they dont know shit they have no cash to fix everything they f'ed up.Id like to see pics of your room,is everything set up safely,gfi protected and on the right size breakers?how many amps are you pulling through those lines and what are they rated for?How are you bringing in air and getting out moisture?Do you have a vapor barrier on my drywall to protect it?what about the floor?did you modify my electrical panel without my knowledge?If your in a bedroom your probably on a 15 maaaybe 20 amp circuit,so even if your in a tent with a 600,some ventilation and timers your probably drawing too many amps unless you modified the panel.Thank you for your service,i salute you,but that in no way allows you to violate others rights on their property,Im not from AZ but ill bet if you went to court the judge would tell you tough shit if you dont like it.
The guy we rented to knew how to grow fairly well. The problem was that he didn't give a shit about us, and when we gave him first right of refusal on the property he got very pissed off that we'd decided to sell because of his credit score. Can you believe that shit? Dude wanted the first right to buy the property, lived in it for well over a year, did not a fucking THING to straighten out his credit score so he might be able to make good on it.

We spent THOUSANDS just to repair what he fucked up, more THOUSANDS to pay the shit he didn't pay, just so that I could get the place rented out as a vacation rental, and that doesn't cover the last two months of rent he stiffed us for completely. Then after he moved he disappeared completely, could not find him to save my life or I would have sued his ass (and won).

Seems to me that this law in AZ may end up causing more problems than it solves, unless it truly resolves the issues inherent with renting. I know I am very unlikely to do it again.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Quoted from Seamaiden: "As a former landlord, I would tell that tenant to go find another place to grow. We've been there and done that. Not only did he NOT pay the rent, he ended up shafting us for a full year of his utilities, and 2 years worth of garbage collection. That doesn't even address the damage he did to the house itself, it was un-fucking-believable what the guy did."

I agree, picking out a tenant is tough, some folks put on a huge act and seem very honest at first....
Just a quick question, how do you amass 2 years worth of garbage collection?? What company keeps picking up your garbage, considering the dude hadn't paid in over a year...that's wild! Either way, it's good you got rid of that loser!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
South Lake Tahoe and El Dorado county have on the books a legal declaration that forces all homeowners to pay trash collection on a weekly basis. The only way to prevent this is to have no power to the home. The garbage company has the franchise for that area, they're mandated to pick up trash no matter what, and it came up when we went to sell the house.

I also can't believe that the power and gas weren't turned off, but being at the altitude it's at, they legally cannot turn those utilities off, either.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Damn, garbage corps making sure they get their money....

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Maybe someday you'll have yer shit together enough to stop renting and you'll find out what it is like to be a property owner, el.

Probably not...but maybe.

Trust? Seems you don't know the meaning of the word...and you sure don't know me well enough to make any judgements about who I might rent to/how I would carry out a lease/etc. as a landlord....especially as someone who is merely a renter with no obvious respect for anyone but yerself.

be well...

s h
Sky High, I missed this before and don't see why you're attacking me. I've owned property and have managed one for a landlord too, choose to rent now for various reasons which are all quite sound, and I'm much better off for it at the moment.

Frankly your comments seem like anger from someone who's been screwed over too much, and I can certainly relate. Frankly I'm ashamed to say I would not rent to a known indoor grower either, mostly for fear of damage whether it was weed or anything else, and also because I grow myself and don't need the potential legal problems if they are dumbasses (and as we know, so many are). This sucks because ethically I'd prefer not to discriminate on this issue, but the integrity of my rental and prioritizing mmj for my own health needs would have to come first.

I have a great landlord now, it's a highly mutually-respectful relationship that I value more than any other part of my setup. But rule #1 is my garden stays a secret, if that rule isn't intact, nothing else matters. I realize others run their show differently, but I won't compromise on this subject for anything. I definitely know what trust is, and this is no place to rely on that level of it. My landlord does not inspect (and he is not an asshole), I made sure of that before I set up shop, and self-monitor my behavior so he will hopefully never feel the need to.

That said, if he does ask, I will have to allow it, and already have a respectful plan of how to handle the situation (tidy up a bit for company, invite him in for coffee and a heart-to-heart chat about my health condition, then give a tour of the crazy environmental controls and security I set up to protect his property). Fwiw, his presence inside the growth area if plants are there is illegal in my state too. I bet his jaw would drop that I even use mmj, but I'm guessing he'd still be pretty uncomfortable with it. Where I live landlords cannot discriminate against mmj, but they can boot you for "no reason" easier than if they have one. Given this fact and others, I would consult an mmj attorney prior to the inspection and proceed as professionally and respectfully as possible. Whether forced to move right away or not, I would then figure out where to relocate. Keep your shit secret.

azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

Wow, this somehow turned from a thread about helping a guy out with advice to how untustworthy growers are in rentals, lol and that's coming from growers who I suppose dont trust themselves, how do your houses look? This like any other discrimination is baseless, the majority of damaged homes by renters in my area anyway aren't from growing, we may have a problem with stash houses from illegals but I cant refuse to rent to someone because hes Mexican now can I? How do I figure out who the guy is who has an anger problem and punches holes in the walls and doors? I can't it goes with the job of being a landlord. So sky high the houses you speak of you just flip because you don't rent to anyone? If you don't rent to growers but claim it's easy to find sympathetic landlords and we growers ourselves would discriminated against growers, I think that makes it Cristal clear why we have the law we do. You seem to be an angry person, you need to relieve some anxiety, I'm 50 and grew up around cultivation from somebody who is 74 and still growing in SF, perhaps he's one of those guys you speak of while i was squirting. lol Must put them pretty old too, you didn't state why you are comfortable telling strangers about your grow?

Also this is again why we need to get in writing first from the landlord why he needs to inspect, so if he does try to evict for ANY REASON we can take his ass to court for discrimination under the laws i cited. No proof you told him (in a nice manner) and he can do what he wants, but just because it's YOUR HOUSE does not mean renters do not have rights because they in FACT do, don't like that then don't become a landlord, it's your house, or the banks now a days lol

To the person who asked for help PM me and I will help you if you need it, I doubt anyone else on this thread will. FWIW I co hosted a show on the radio regarding vets issues and have a lot of people behind me. Sounds to me from you post that you are a good tenant who has been fixing up his rundown property, if you have a lease he has to honor that, if the house is sold they have to honor your lease until it expires, if the bak takes it over because you had a BAD LANDLORD who didn't tell you he was behind on his mortgage (much more common than destructive cultivators) the bank has to give you cash for keys, usually $3000.00 or you get to stay for a while and guess what, they cant inspect until you are out either.

azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

Sea maiden wrote; Few renters seem to give a shit about someone else's property, this is a truism in my world.

That I find is a true statement based upon the decay of our society and many not teaching their children to respect other peoples property, that statement does not single out one population of people. But like I stated it isn't just renters it's those upside down on their houses as well.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We're upside down, and we're suffering the effects of neighbors who've been forced to walk away further driving down the value of our property. However, we have planned on living the rest of our lives here from the beginning, so everything we have has been put into this house, there's not only no way we're walking away, there's no way we're not going to do something to increase its value annually. Last year was the solar array and back-up gennie, which also happened to be the year that I had part of the property terraced out for gardening. What we do also goes far to increase our peaceful enjoyment of our home.

But we're different from others because even when we were stuck renting, we treated those homes as though they were our own. Why? Because, we know what pride of ownership means, and are able to put ourselves in the shoes of others. That Golden Rule thing.

In any event, my point was that not only would I specifically not rent to an indoor grower, I would specifically not be a landlord again if I could help it at all. It's too fraught with headaches, plain and simple.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Sucks that it's worked out for yall like that. I have had the opposite experience. Guess I'm lucky or put myself in the right situations and deal with the right type of landlords.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Or he got kicked out...? That'd be a bummer. No headlines about a disabled guy taking out his landlord coming out of AZ, right?

azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

Well I PM'd him offering help and haven't gotten a reply so he must of resolved it somehow. Seamaiden i'm with you too, I rented a house previously and my landlord about cried when I left and not because the place was not kept up, sure enough the next renters he had tore the place to shit, I'd take my daughter to the old neighborhood (which was actually not to old of a sub division at the time) and the house was in bad shape, junk car with oil ran down into the street. I felt real bad for him, fwiw I think most of us are upside down the way the market went to shit but I still keep paying.

Guess it's time to end this thread, and sky high, sorry about coming across abrasive and dis respectful, I shouldn't loose my cool, pain does that to me I think I can be an A hole sometimes.

azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

Seamaiden, I just got that comment, lol... I'll keep an eye on the news and let ya know if I see anything. lol

sky high

sky high

Guess it's time to end this thread, and sky high, sorry about coming across abrasive and dis respectful, I shouldn't loose my cool, pain does that to me I think I can be an A hole sometimes.

Apologies here as well if you took anything I said to heart/personally. Jus' spewin'....

Seriously tho....I understand your concerns about telling folks about what you do...but I personally have taken the opposite approach....and many people...if not everyone I know..knows I'm a patient and that I grow good pot. However, few have seen/been IN my garden....

If we all keep MMJ "secret" and we don't tell folks how it has helped us and continues to help us we aren't supporting MMJ in the least. The first folks I told were those I knew were the most against it. (my parents!) Showing them I had a card to smoke weed just about blew the top of their heads off and...at least to my face, stymied their comments about stoners and potheads.

good luck folks. I still believe honesty is the best policy....but as always, YMMV.

s h

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

SH, totally agree with you on consciousness-raising by being out and honest about mmj. And I try to educate people too, just unfortunately don't have a lot of energy for it due to health challenges. If you're in a situation where it's safe for you and your family to be more open within your community, that's awesome and something for us all to work for.

Again unfortunately, i think for most people at this point in the 'movement', garden secrecy has to be paramount. I don't like lying, and it sure would be nice to share this passion more in person, but telling anything other than "I have a generous grower friend" would not be safe or sensible for me. Maybe one day though.

sky high

sky high

I have kids....so secrets regarding my use/growing of the plant after they were told what was goin on went out the window years ago.

And I did get ripped off by some of their friends. No...they wouldn't have known had I not told my kids...but honesty is still the best policy and...even though I got to meet the local boys in blue (some of the only peeps who HAVE been in my garden...LOL) all went well because I have my card. Messed my shorts a few times...but other than that.....no biggie. First time I've "met' with the po-po and >>>not<<<< been hauled off in handcuffs...so it was a good day!

I guess after 20 years+ of growing illegally/risking it all and telling VERY FEW folks about it (cus everyone wants free pot when you tell em you grow)....once I got a card and had legal protection... I lost ALL of that wicked paranoia that KEPT ME AWAKE for more nights than I care to remember over the years and came topside. (literally...from a hidden crawlspace room to taking over the garage)

I've even been on local TV 3 times telling the County Commissioners that they have no right to regulate what I or anyone else does as a patient or in my grow. WTF are they gonna do...arrest me because I speak up? On the contrary...I told em now that they know what I do...comin to my house without a warrant and a REASON will be considered harrasment.

Haven't seen any of em since...other than in the grocery store in the checkout line waiting to pay for their groceries. LOL. Had a nice chat with the lead officer after we looked at each other and had that "I know this guy" flash go through our minds. Respect all around.....

Very few of my neighbors knew what I do until last year when my son passed and they started stopping by.the house to pay respects. I was unprepared for ALL of it....my filter was needing a changeout of charcoal....house was reekin @ 7 weeks of bloom....weed and pipes on the table....

but fuck em....fuck hiding....fuck sneekin around. I am who I am.

If you don't respect me.....why should I give a fuck what you think anyway?

be safe, be well

s h

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Hey btw, the 'talking about it with your kids' thread here is one of my favorites. I'll absolutely be discussing what I do honestly with children in my life, but not right now due to ages/circumstances. If they lived with me or even nearby it would be different of course, but I have no interest in lying to them either way. Lying to children sucks because they are building a whole belief-paradigm on what you say.

Sky, I'm really sorry about your son. Every time I go in that thread I'm crippled by grief, having lost someone very close last year too. It's obvious in your writing that your family are the kind of folks we need talking openly in our communities, combating ignorance, by promoting honesty/acceptance/compassion. Thanks.

azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

Wow guys i feel like we just had a break thru at a group counseling session or something lol, off topic for sure, but I don't care if nobody else does. I have to read your other threads sky that el cerebro refers too and relate to the what u shared on many levels. It really sucks that we still have to fear, and thats what it's all about, keep em in the holes or crawlspaces ; ).

Sky wrote; "I told em now that they know what I do...comin to my house without a warrant and a REASON will be considered harrasment."

This topic was a matter of argument between my wife and I. Reading up on the raids that happen in the state have a common theme when law enforcement was scrutinized for the DEA style tactics on MMJ patients. They always say "how do we know who is legal and who is not?" I'n my experience in other matters of fighting for constitutional rights of myself and others I've found out in Black and white documents that law enforcement knows about me and not to engage me if they come into contact with me protesting. They never told me that but when push came to shove and suit was on the table they made it look like somebody just forgot to tell me that I was right and they were wrong and that I didn't have to fear arrest at all because the boots on the ground had to just walk away, Sad though that others doing the same thing I did would (and do) get arrested. It's called selective enforcement and it's suppose to be illigal but the police (usually politicians) are able to select people to leave alone. The main reason why they have left me alone is because I've kicked the ass of many city attorneys who all have unconstitutional regulations on the books. I get the law changed a couple years later a new city mayor and city attorney come in and the law is changed back, then I have to protest again. It's unbelievable these city attorneys have ordinances that are struck down unconstitutionally in the 9th cir and Supreme court " word for word ordinances' and they pop back up. I scratch my head and ask "do you guys just recirculate this crap" the answer is yes and then i show them emails from city attorney clerks to others asking "what ordnance do you guys use regarding vendor ordinances?"

How does all this relate to MMJ because everyone must know how the law functions, and who controls the application of that law through a chain of command. At the top is a Mayor but that depends some cities put him as just a figurehead and give the real power to another official. This is another reason to go to city public meetings and voice your opinion directly to the mayor. With MMJ it takes more balls than i currently have because of numerous reasons, i have political axe's that have been sharpened for my head.

I'm getting off on a tangent here but what sky said is paramount, they fear me because in court they can't claim they didn't know the law, in the case of MMJ they wouldn't be able to claim they didn't know I was legal. With the civil rights cases i've fought, a suit from me is a walk in the park because my whole case is based upon solid case law in Federal courts, we don't have that with MMJ. Even so in my other cases not related to MMJ, It didn't prevent the bastards from going right back to doing what they did before because of the control they need over the population, money made and the sheeple who don't care about their rights until it's their case. The people have to power to change things.

So this was my fight with my wife; I serve the city mayor's office, city attorney and Police Chief that i'm a card holder and that i'm considering cultivation, I ask them to state their policies in writing. You will not hear from the Mayor directly except for him to say he turned this over to the city attorney, You likely won't hear a word from the police chief, and the city attorney will tell you what you already know the law says. But behind the scenes the mayor since he has direct knowledge and cant have a screwup of you claiming harassment from his office will need to cover his ass, at the city attorneys suggestion, and approval from the mayor, the city attorney will TELL the police chief to brief his officers to leave you alone. They will note it in their computer system, the police will pull you over and hand you back your DL and only say "have a nice day" (When that happened to me on a routine traffic stop I thought it was due to him getting a call or something, but it was due to my threat of suit to the city.)

If anything happens the police cannot tell the media "how do we know who is legal and who is not" I can say I asked the mayor, the police chief and the city attorney if I could, so they knew. Could you imagine the position that would put them into.

There is a reason some would not and that is family court with regards to patients who have children particularly small children, the law offers protections but they are grey with regards to cultivation, the law requires proven threat to the health and safety of the child. I've heard of environmental health being invited on raids as well as other agencies. It isn't a streach to see they could say chemicals, mold, electrical conserns ect. could be used against you. It would be wise for anyone to bring in the 14th ammendment to battle such groups by asking if they do the same raids and inspections to hobbiest growers of medicinal plants such as mullen, stevia, nettle, or high dollar flower growers, point out the swimming pool acids and chemicals which are just as dangerous.

One point taken that we can all agree upon is that growers should not be doing things half assed we now have houses going up in flames due to growers, I have to fact check what I heard that 14 have gone up in flames here in az since the law changed. That's bad news if it's true and they can show it's an increase.

Sadly I still have one foot in the shadow and one in the light and because of our law passing by literally a few votes I'm going to stay behind the scenes to see what happens in November, sorry to hear about your son sky, I lost a wife to meth and booze.

Latest posts

Top Bottom