What is the best predetor for black flies, gnats & aphids?

• Thread starter forknowledge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

zoeronerer

i keep some butterworts around to catch any gnats.

koopa was thinking the same thing they work great ...

for your infestation tho you should drench with something to kill all the larve.

if your an organic kinda guy try the azamax soak and the butterworts if you can find them...

if you just want to kill them dead .. use ortho max lawn at i think a ml per gallon or a 10th the strength reccommended...works everytime for any medium based bug.

the bacteria product for mosquitos is also a great idea .
there used to be a couple on the market for our hobby. one was by cutting edge but the gov took it off the shelves. prob the same bacteria .. kills really well.

good luck and aloha

J

John Smith Esq.

Im thinking of getting some ladybugs in there to patrol the buds & keep them clean of stuck gnats.

thats exactly what i use on my aphids dude, works well for me. just pluck em right out my garden. effective and free. the best kind of effective. :bug

Peace.

J

John Smith Esq.

p.s they dont like buds and aphids are generally dumb enough to fly into bud and get stuck so they get less effective late in flower, only other sugestion i have is house/garden spiders, work well but they do leave webs (not usually on plants) which is annoying.

forknowledge

forknowledge

Yeah man i used to use diahydro and even did some grows with 100% diahydro on drip system ,it is way better than clay pebbles but their claims that it is insect proof is quite frankly bullshit.

I believed the hype till i saw a dirty great fungus maggot just crawl straight over the top of the pot ! and it did'nt even bother him .
The problem with dia is as soon as its wet it loses it's effectiveness ,so unless you can keep it totally dry it wont work that well. But good luck with it anyway.

The mites wont crawl on your bed LOL :) , i used to have a grow in my bedroom aswell and i never had any problems using them in there . They wont bite you anyway you are way too big for them eat !
anything thats in your pot like thrips, fungus gnats or other mites they will massacre .

They come in a vermiculite mix which they basically cling to till they get a better home like your pots. You should only need about 1-2 teaspoons of the mix per pot .

It might seem a waste throwing the rest away but you could always pass it around your mates or do what i did and sprinkle it on the garden ,then you can have a fungus gnat exclusion zone around your house!:happy

this place is good aswell :

i have used them before, they are alot cheaper than the hydro shops but you have to get the stuff sent in the post.

more info about gnats

can I add the Nematodes to the nutrient mix or only with PHed water?

Is a one off watering ok with them or is it to be applyed with every watering?

Also are Hypoaspis the same as Nematodes?

forknowledge

forknowledge

thats exactly what i use on my aphids dude, works well for me. just pluck em right out my garden. effective and free. the best kind of effective. :bug

Peace.

So the ladybirds did eat away the dead gnats/winged aphids that were stuck to your buds?

J

John Smith Esq.

there not too good once pests are in your buds, ladybirds tend to stay away from sticky stuff but might be temptepted if you seal them in and its their only food source, i usually have one or two in there throughout veg and any pests that were in there are usually all gone by the time i get to flowering, im pretty sure they eat the larvae as well. only prob is if you force the LB's onto the buds to eat you may end up with phids and LB's stuck in your bud..

before ladybirds i did have abit of success with using starch based poisons (bug off) which i just added to the soil, obviously you cant spray your buds but you can always flush your plants with it to kill all the larvae in the soil - kills most insects and spiders. this in conjuction with those yellow sticky strips helped.

I

InvisibleM

Parasitic wasps. I had gnat and whiteflies, the parasitic wasps just showed up one day and ate them all. I had the pests for many many years, now perfect leaves....

G

garethcnmjones

Parasitic wasps. I had gnat and whiteflies, the parasitic wasps just showed up one day and ate them all. I had the pests for many many years, now perfect leaves....

Good one...

Top Bottom