what is the best thing to detour deer

• Thread starter still smokin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

still smokin

hey guys, can you tell me besides a bullet what will keep the deer and rabbits away from my plants. i can use wire for the rabbits but what about the deer . :icon_stick man::party0033::spacecraft:

J

joebean91

I have had success with a product called 'not tonight deer ' that is diluted and sprayed on and around your plants , though I'm not sure if it's still available . Have heard that Irish Spring soap sliced up and left around your spot will do the trick for deers . I don't know about rabbits though , maybe something like bobcat urine ?

R

ryo

hey guys, can you tell me besides a bullet what will keep the deer and rabbits away from my plants. i can use wire for the rabbits but what about the deer . :icon_stick man::party0033::spacecraft:

I have the same problem, of course chicken wire works well, but if you piss around near the plants(not on them) but maybe 10ft away from them. That helped , some say hair, from you or a dog. I didnt have luck with soap of any kind. For rabbits I trapped them with leg traps and then shot them. For mice and rats I used outdoor decon chunks for several weeks before I planted. I think the piss worked the best though.

B

bigbag

irish spring ran through a cheese grater,sprinkled around,panther piss,moth balls and dog hair all work marginally.another trick is fishing line(monofilament),strung out like a fence.hang beer/pop cans with pebbles on fish lines,2 act as rattles.when deer bubp into fence,rattle go's off,spooking deer

F

Fear

We run full height 5' chichen wire around the whole grow. Drive in posts if you have to and litterally build a fence. Hate to have it rain rinse of that deer lettuce and have them munch down. If you look at our outdoor grow you'll see fence even around the green house and every bit of land were a plant will be. Don't take a chance by being cheap. Actually I will probably Spend a day or two finishing the fence this week.

F

Fear

Yes and poison for the other varmites. No mercy on your garden for small pest. Larger animals sure. But I'd eat the deer.

N

Nuglover

I use the hair, soap, piss, shotgun method myself. I have also planted some food crops a few hundred yards from my spot to give the critters something tastier to chew on. A few veggies hear and there and some soybeans and clover(used in deer food plots) in the mix and they usually leave my girls alone.

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
we have deer in my yard often where my plants are, but they have never eaten ANY, in 6 years. i dunno.

S

still smokin

thanks you all ill let you know what works. hopefully i wont have to put pics up here of my crop munched down . and I just learned how hard out side growing is with having to dig those freekin 10 gallon holes and all, Im 50 years old and thats alot of work , with a short shovel. but it will be worth it. good luck all and keep smokin.

D

D9420

i had good luck with critter ritter. but when i spayed Bobcat urine everywhere even the chipmunks took off LMAO

G

Gorrillagrower

I have the same problem, of course chicken wire works well, but if you piss around near the plants(not on them) but maybe 10ft away from them. That helped , some say hair, from you or a dog. I didnt have luck with soap of any kind. For rabbits I trapped them with leg traps and then shot them. For mice and rats I used outdoor decon chunks for several weeks before I planted. I think the piss worked the best though.

Im glad someone else brought up the piss thang but since were on the subject........ I piss in a milk jug and then stash that in the bushs around the plot. That way it last all season. Pissing on the ground washs away within a couple rains in my experience.

The dog hair thing works well too. I actually use the two in conjunction. Between that and the chicken wire I have had no issues for several years. Hope that helps

Stay safe out there...................... GG

D

diezelburner

The piss in a cup deal works for me as well. Deer and elk hate the smell of humans and can smell that shit miles away. I live on a national park boundry so anything that crosses the line is fair game! Nothin beats sittin on your deck with a beer waiting for some unsuspecting animal to munch your crop and he gets it! Thats just me though and I'm a Canadian Redneck!

I

ismokepot

Bobcat Urine is supposed to repel anything and everything with 4 legs. Tough to find but an incredibly effective product.

S

still smokin

thanks everyone. sounds like ill be doin alot of pissing around lol

S

still smokin

went out today to put soil in my holes that i dug. gorrilla farming ripped the hell out of my arm. my crop is in the middle of a massive thistel area. halling all my gear back with a wheelbarro through the bushes ,wow should have had on long sleeve shirt. but what a sweet spot. so for everyone one who wants to grow outside, its not as easy as you might think. digging 10 - 10 gallon hole at 50 years old not easy by my self. but it will all be worth it in the long haul. good luck this year all and keep smokin

L

lidspinner

went out today to put soil in my holes that i dug. gorrilla farming ripped the hell out of my arm. my crop is in the middle of a massive thistel area. halling all my gear back with a wheelbarro through the bushes ,wow should have had on long sleeve shirt. but what a sweet spot. so for everyone one who wants to grow outside, its not as easy as you might think. digging 10 - 10 gallon hole at 50 years old not easy by my self. but it will all be worth it in the long haul. good luck this year all and keep smokin

I wear the cheap little rain gear, jacket and pants that you buy at walmart...you can get the camo one for like $7...it folds up in a small pouch....Its hot as hell, and you WILL sweat your balls off but it keeps the poison ivy away and thistles just dont penetrate it. Stickers will put a hole in them but they are well worth their weight in gold. I normally go through 3 or 4 a season as i wear it almost everytime i go out.

KAL EL

KAL EL

My buddy grows outdoors in Wisconsin.
He goes to the barber shop and gets a big bag of hair clippings from them and spreads them around his grow. Works great he says.
He also used to buy cougar and coyote urine, but the hair is free.

R

ryo

I dig the same size holes for mine, I put a couple of shovels of worm casings at the bottom then I use a mix of promix, miracle grow with water retention, fox farm, and more worm casings. I mix it on a tarp from wally world fold it up. Remember to think from the air, I hide all the dirt under trees or shrubs, I get camo from walley world sewing department and use it to cover the fresh dug dirt area. nail it in the ground with sticks then cover with local crap so to blend in. The worst thing about outdoor is the watering. But the farther you are from a pond or stream the better, cops know about the water and always look harder around streams or ponds for telltail signs of growinng.

S

still smokin

gettin some great ideas guys thanks . ill get some pics up here soon. so you all can see what im up to.lol.... running some mazar x afgahni and in another spot im running some starts that i started from seed that i am budding in my room now. but any way a friend of mine gave me the seeds (he grows too) but he did not try them yet but he had 3 strains going at once ,went away for some dumb ass reason for 3 days came back and he missed sexing one plant and he had babies. so dont know what that is but it smells damn good at 13 days into bloom its filling out good so far. and then if it gets hear in time im going to run some subcool gear their third dimention it lokks like it will knock your socks off. hope i can do it justice. it ripens in 45 to 50 days so it is a good one to run under the bis halid in the sky. i cant wait thanks guys.

Top Bottom