What is the best way to hide your GreenHouse?

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

The House I am looking at really doesn't offer alot in the way of hiding my greenhouse from the public. It has a small barn on it but it is still visable from the sides. Anyways the only thing I can think of is digging a hole bigger then the greenhouse(for more sunlight available to bttm n sides) and 3 ft down.
Then maybe some 5' shrubs all around and possibly metal fencing between greenhouse and shrubs with small barn blocking one end. Also really can't wait for the bushes to grow that tall.

As I will be the new kid in the farm anything that I do will be noticed and talked about. Rural communities are all about chit chatting.

Ever after

Ever after

nice hedges! and using uhh chicken wire all over the thing neatly and then make sure you tie down with wire use a nice thats very invasive like morning glory seeds or just go up and make a wall of morning glory or use bamboo and use planters outside the greenhouse best place for a greenhouse is colorado and using an airconditioner and maybe a few 1000w lamps with adjustawings but washington a shit option unless your near the coast theres NO SUN in northwest colorado is dope outdoors with a green house though like too much sun but the sun in colorado is about 30x better too and the ac doesnt have to work that hard in colorado its like snowing till april in denver haha talk about super bud get 2 plasma lights from gavita and 2 6oow hps lamps to keep the plants vegging thats my idea for a super greenhouse but i would have co2 and shit and make it sealed but it would have an ac and dehumidy some people even just use pullys and use tarps and work the light cycle with ropes and uhh they open the ceiling so the sun can come in but thats what my friends do in texas and new new mexico and so cal desert where its really nice and hot

Dagwood

Dagwood

I haven't done it myself, but I've read about other people using white fiberglass corrugated roofing. It still transmits enough light to grow plants inside but from outside doesn't look like greenhouse material. Use standard solid walls so the building looks like a small barn or work shed. A barn style roof would probably be optimal. The building I intend to build out back will probably have a lean-to roof sloping towards the south.

ZONER

ZONER

You might want to place the green house next to the barn, make sure you have it on the south side to get that warm sunlight, also if its a rectangular one make sure you put it east to west to follow the suns path.
My opinion is when you start making it look like your hiding something (like digging down three feet) your rural neighbors might wonder why? If its not something that's commonly done in the area, go build a nice big compost pile near the green house, put some raised beds and grow vegetables and herbs next to the green house. Become the 'FARMER'

K

kolah

you could cover it in 4 mL Greenhouse plastic. It comes in clear and cloudy and both are more than sufficient for sunlight allowance/growing stuff. Fence in an area around it and plant vegetables. I don't think that would loo suspicious at all.

stutter

stutter

You might want to place the green house next to the barn, make sure you have it on the south side to get that warm sunlight, also if its a rectangular one make sure you put it east to west to follow the suns path.
My opinion is when you start making it look like your hiding something (like digging down three feet) your rural neighbors might wonder why? If its not something that's commonly done in the area, go build a nice big compost pile near the green house, put some raised beds and grow vegetables and herbs next to the green house. Become the 'FARMER'

traditionally when planting a veg garden or an MJ garden in this case you really want to have it with a north south orientation not east west.

with an east west orientation you really get a lot more light on one side of your garden. by going north/south the morning sun hits one side and the afternoon sun on the other.

Dagwood

Dagwood

traditionally when planting a veg garden or an MJ garden in this case you really want to have it with a north south orientation not east west.

with an east west orientation you really get a lot more light on one side of your garden. by going north/south the morning sun hits one side and the afternoon sun on the other.

Good point. Cannabis is a summer crop. I'm at 37 N degrees latitude and during summer it is amazing how intense and how far north the sun is at sunrise and sunset.

ZONER

ZONER

True stutter everything you stated is right on the money, I am up north and will possibly be looking to set up a small one to extend my growing season by a little over a month. Spoke with several farmers in my area who utilize their green houses on their farms and noticed all of them have their orientation east to west. Most only use them to start the season early and finish up later on several items to avoid the frost.

K

kolah

roots veggies grow best in cold climates and for cannabis the indica's (esp afghani, hindu strains) do very well in cold and elevations...also you may want to play with auto flowers and other faster finishers. Starting them indoors early helps as well. :)

Mogrow

Mogrow

if you have a barn, replace the roof , or just take it off, if your walls are high enough. I would have the roof where you could have it open or shut.
you gotta go incognito bro..
or you could always build the bale of hay house, or the 10 ric of firewood fort. i've seen them both used, the firewood fort was really cool. dude had firewood stacked up about 6 ft. high, had about a 20x8 area. made him a little entrance and viola. no roof, just open sky...
good luck.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I haven't done it myself, but I've read about other people using white fiberglass corrugated roofing. It still transmits enough light to grow plants inside but from outside doesn't look like greenhouse material. Use standard solid walls so the building looks like a small barn or work shed. A barn style roof would probably be optimal. The building I intend to build out back will probably have a lean-to roof sloping towards the south.

This could be built so that it looks like a shop or shed. Even better, it could even BE such a building- at least part of it. The rest would then be a totally unsuspected garden.

Dagwood

Dagwood

This could be built so that it looks like a shop or shed. Even better, it could even BE such a building- at least part of it. The rest would then be a totally unsuspected garden.

For stealth, there's really a lot to be said for this... or at least having the greenhouse attached to or part of another utility building. You're going to be spending a lot of time in there and it's good to have an excuse. If people can see your building they'll also see you walking back and forth a lot. A long rectangular work shed with a false wall on the south side would suit me well. Or have a locked door to the "storage room" off the shop. You'd need to deal with the excessive sunlight with the shop-end roof. Maybe install a ceiling or paint the panels.

juggernaut

juggernaut

I'm going with the Exell which 12 X20 unit with some toys as 12x20 extensions can be added on to a max of 4 I believe.
Just wondering as I will have both indica's sativas and crosses.
If I can I would go for 12plants - 4' X 5' raised beds using wood for the sides. I could put 2 indicas into those spots.
Anyways is ok for 2 plants a side ?
just worried they will bang into the plastic.

Also adding co2 via bottle but a generator might apply here?
+ 1709 can-max with 2500 air scrubber and for airflow X2 ( 1 for every 12x20' unit).
+ 1 more for trimming at harvest.
I have a 25,000 but mini-split so temps should be good

I want to try and run 2 indica cycles with the light dep (
may 10 - july 10 Big veg indoors ready to go / also if I had to I could run first 2 weeks downstairs in a tent+
July 11 - sept 11 Sativas would have from May 10 - sept to ripen max 16 weeks(I'll need tips for some choice Sativas to run.

BUG CONTROL?????
IN A GREENHOUSE OR OUTDOORS I'M LOST? ANY TIPS?
How do I wash covers for the greenhouse?
Also how do I deal with nosey cops or neighbours based on seeing my new greenhouse(I will have just bought the farm and will be immediately installing the GH. Or around sept/oct or april /may.

Also I wanted to sink the gh 3' down in the ground with about 5' around the gh dug down. I might have to put some drainage holes in or els i'll have a swimming pool.
Still waiting my dri aire low grain whatever . 3 months. we're fawned or I end with a $800 ship charge....grrrrr
I'm very excited to get into the greenhouse and using free sunlight and building my soil year after year.

juggernaut

juggernaut

Well maybe a couple of lights for late in the season:)
And Eco pump and barrell for making teas.
a RO water cleaner around 1000 g.p.h.
rent a backhoe to dig hole. might have to ask a friend a favour.
Thanks for the input so far:)

Dagwood

Dagwood

Also how do I deal with nosey cops or neighbours based on seeing my new greenhouse(I will have just bought the farm and will be immediately installing the GH. Or around sept/oct or april /may.

You need a believable story if nosy neighbors will be checking out your scene. Putting the greenhouse into a big pit isn't going to make this any easier. Either it's hidden or it's not. Half-way hidden will just make people wonder why you're trying to hide it. If people are going to be coming onto your property you might consider living your cover story by growing vegetables or ornamental shrubs in there initially. Say you're starting your own ornamental shrubs to landscape the property, then afterwards you can plant them to partially block view of the greenhouse. Then people know what it's about and leave you alone since their curiosity is satisfied. Don't make it something spectacular they'll want to come look at again though. I have problems myself because I enjoy water gardening with lotuses and water lilies so my boneheaded friend keeps telling people they need to go look around in my backyard. I can't get the f##ker to stop doing it. Then he keeps telling me that I should grow pot out back because everyone else is doing it. I'm gonna have to smack him up the side of the head if he keeps this up. But I digress.

I think you're asking for too much. You're the new guy in a rural community. You want to install a big commercial bought greenhouse where cops and your nosy neighbors will see it and wonder. Then you want to half bury the thing, which nobody does, and expect this to provide you with stealth, which it won't. And I suspect you will want to immediately fill it with pot plants and still hope for some kind of security. I just see you setting yourself up for a world of hurt here.

soserthc1

soserthc1

I don't live in a rural community but fairly big back yard 50ft wide by 100ft long and put about ten flowers out this year. Now I planted as many decoy's as possible in the first year (but I love that shit to ) the thing is your real flowers don't really take off till there 2nd season for good coverage. So I planted vertical across the ground which seemed to work really well until them late summer humid days when the stench began to take over the block - HENCE i cut a few early which are basically hay now stilling in jars hoping they cure up into something somewhat decent. On the other hand the two I let go until a few days ago are fire .

So my summery of growing outside in unfriendly territory is , its better to bring them inside , avoid smells , nosey neighbors and alot better sleeping at night as outside is way more risky than inside imho plus when growing outside for 4 months I want monster tree's not poor smelling hay because of fear ......

Next year i'm gonna go off site to a spot that has already been found on a southern facing hill and blow out some monster bushes - hey if you gotta risk growing outside might as well go big ..

juggernaut

juggernaut

Im liking the FF 20 x 30 light depam i reading the prices around 100,00 RANGE just seems overly expensive but it does look top notch.

my other option is th excel 12' x 20 ' I would need to sections for 480ft2 and only 7" tall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom