What is the cause of Seedling stretch?

• Thread starter Madbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madbud

Madbud

Seemed like a good time for a discussion on seedlings that sprout like spaghetti. I start seeds in solo cups of soil after they sink sink in water. Nearly 100% germination and i learned a long time ago if it stretches 3 inches, add 2 inches more soil, problem solved. But what causes the stretch? Light too dim or too far away, lack of airflow? Like to hear some science and bro science(and a big NO to paper towels).

MEGA956

MEGA956

Maybe a mix of environment and genetics? Do hemp seeds do the same thing?

Madbud

Madbud

So do you get stretch? If not for adding soil as support, mine would fall over.

TSD

TSD

I always assumed it was lighting. I'd honestly rather have a little stretch than a plant that stays short and squat and all the leaves are right near the dirt... extra stalk isn't a bad thing if you're training either.

Madbud

Madbud

I lowered the light on these. The middle pair sprouted yesterday, the other 4 this morning. Its a 150w led at about 25% and now about 28” to see if the others stay short. Small overhead fan too. The other snapshot shows a soda bottle dome on a helmet head that needed a little more humidity.
06829B41 15E3 4FAE A485 940015B69153
584F317E 032C 428B 9CB2 7B59C02DDCDE

TSD

TSD

Mine stretched too cause I used a t5 and had it too high, I added a bit of soil to a few, trying to strengthen the stalks with the fan. I added a bit of soil to a few, and if they still look lanky when it's transplant time, I'll bury them a bit extra. All my lower shit gets stripped and I'm outside anyway, so a little stretch isn't a huge deal.

20230318 201145

Madbud

Madbud

I started with flourescent shop lights many moons ago because they can be within an inch or two. Frankly i like them better than led, bigger leaves, but its a hassle switching lights now.

steamroller

steamroller

If light can be set lower power then go even lower and then lower the light physically even more.
I start under low power aquarium LEDS and keep the light pretty close. Less than 8 inches for first week.
Do you have IR to check leaf temperature? Just make sure they don't cook.

quirk

quirk

In low light conditions, a hormone is released that stimulates rapid stem cell elongation in an attempt to get the light it requires. While this is taking place, root development is minimal.

Madbud

Madbud

Recalling something about moon phases for planting root or stem type plants too.

Madbud

Madbud

So both my ambient room temp and soil temp is low 80’s F. Just wait a couple days to see if lowering the light has an effect on the stretch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom