What is the proper RH for long-term seed storage.

• Thread starter AnselAdams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Obviously they need to be kept totally in the dark and cool (70-85F); but what is the proper RH percentage for long-term seed storage?

Any other tips on long-term seed storage? I have quite a number of seeds and they are in plastic snap packaging without a drying agent, and i don't want them to go to waste.

Thanks in Advance. 🍻

Nugg

Nugg

I have no technical information...but I've had mine in little baggies in a drawer for 5 yrs and they still work just fine

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I have no technical information...but I've had mine in little baggies in a drawer for 5 yrs and they still work just fine

Thanks Nugg! I kind of figured that to be the case, as I too have some laying around that have simply been in a plastic contact lens case. However since i just dropped a couple of sleeves to purchase 30 beans and did not want to ruin my investment; I thought i would ask the farm.
🍻

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I keep my packs in a bottom drawer in a cool room in a blacked out jar with white rice in it to draw moisture. Room is 66-70 farenheight rh is 45-60%. The seeds even the seeds that were old when i got them have most all been viable. Some have been in the jar almost 6 years.

A breeder friend told me not to use
Desiccates as they dry them out too much.

Can also be in a crisper drawer in the fridge. Professional seed storage os in special refrigerators.

Nugg

Nugg

Oh..I'm sure there is a "proper"way..all I know is I had a bag full of "bag"seed I still had from Oklahoma when I grew there...I threw them outside as trash and they sprouted and started growing 🤷🏻‍♂️

Top Bottom