What is this bug?

• Thread starter blahman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

blahman

I've been having a mag def that I just can't seem to beat. So I was looking for some root aphids that might be causing the problem. Under a pot I've found a large amount of these little buggers. They range from microscopic to 1-2 mm. They move quite fast in darting motions. But from the pictures i've seen they don't look like root aphids.

What is this bug
B

Bud Farmer

I'm no entomologist... But, it looks like some sort of a Springtail to me. Are you growing in a bathroom? I had an infestation of these in the past (when I was growing in a spare bathroom) and from what I gather they live in the drains of bathtubs and such.
Quite an interesting bug if you ask me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springtail

P

paulycali

Do they seem to be more interested in the roots more than the leaves? I had something similar that stayed on my hydroton rocks and only came up when i watered. Didnt seem interested at all with the leaves.

I am not sure what they are but i am sure you wanna get rid of them

The bugs didnt seem to harm my plants, but maybe they were

Good luck amd hope you can solve the problem

B

blahman

I haven't seen them inside the plants at all, just on the ground underneath. Seems they like the runoff coming out from the plants.

B

Bud Farmer

I haven't seen them inside the plants at all, just on the ground underneath. Seems they like the runoff coming out from the plants.

I first notice the microscopic version of this bug when collecting runoff for a sample. They would collect into floating masses and would move by flexing their abdomen. I never seen any that were as large as the one in your picture. Although the head and antenna look exactly the same to me. Yours look like one of the ones picture in the link I posted above!
These picture aren't of very good quality but these are the pictures I took of the ones found in my run off. Do these look like the microscopic version you speak of?

Springtails Medium
Springtails x200 Medium
BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

They look like springtails. The ones in the pic that bud farmer posted i am 99% sure is springtails. Do they jump when they are disrupted? And do they gather in large groups? Most types of springtails have a fork like thing under the abdomen that springs them up and away from predators (it makes them bounce high hense the name) but they arent a serious problem. Most springtails just eat the decaying plant matter and can actually bring in bennificial bacteria and microhizia. I still prefer to get rid of them if possible just cus its a bug. I use an Azamax drench every 3rd watering or so until they are goene. Theyre long life span is what makes them hard to get rid of since there are so many in different stages of life. The ones i get arewhite and look like mini grains of rice but I have seen ones that look like youre picture that are black or a reddish brown, so this could be the culprit. Also they like to find their way into stored soil. I cant leave my soil in my grage for more than 12 hours without the whole bag getting infested. Hope this helps!

1wolf

yes those are spring tails

and no chemicals will kill them without killing your plant . the best thing for them are Predator Nematodes-(Steinernema Feltiae)also there are more spring tails in the world than any other insect. they live every where from Antarctica to rain forests the thing is, they are mostly over looked until your totally infested . i have been working with my local grow shop and a lot of online reading so this info is correct to the best of my knowledge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom