What is this bug?

• Thread starter ogbluntdoc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

Hello everyone, so i have found some new bugs in my room. I really wish i could post a picture but don't have nearly good enough camera to do so. so hopefully i can describe them. I have two. the first i think i have identified. they are small white crawling in the soil only notice them when i am watering and they come to the surface as the water is settling into the soil. I believe them to be springtails. I hope. The second bug is about twice as big and black. no wings, narrow. and its ass end sticks up. ( i think it looks the same way a scorpions ass sticks up) Seen only a few on the floor around my pot one on surface of soil and one on the rim of the pot.

I have just started growing in soil. and this plant was gifted to me in this container. It has happy frog soil in it that was "fluffed". I added about 2 inches of roots 707 to the top of the soil. no particular reason it just seemed like the pot needed to be filled more for stability and 707 is my soil of choice.

This plant has only received tap water. Today was the first day it received feed. I gave it age old bloom and age old kelp. 6.5ph during today's feed is when i noticed these bugs.

I got this plant about 10 days ago. i have watered 3 times. i water when i can put my finger into soil and not feel any moisture. When i received this plant she was beautiful and green. today she is losing her color and have lost more than a dozen leaves to yellowing. some of the leaves have small areas of necrosis along center vein.

I figured it was lack of nutrition. This plants probably at least 5-6 weeks old. without ever getting fed. However, it was healthy and green when i got it and now only about 10 days later is yellowing and loosing leaves. its in a 5gal pot. only other difference between my grow room and the room it came from, was i have it under a 600 w hps and he had it under multiple LEDs and Floros its been in 24 hr light until i got it i started going down to 18/6 and then today is start of 12/12.

But then i saw the bugs and i also feel like it doesn't have as strong of a root mass as it should so i began thinking the bugs are bad bugs and destroying my roots and causing the yellowing and lose of leaves. o and its not just fan leaves, its big and small leaves.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have been reading up on caps bennies, if i start feeding with those would that help with these bugs???

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

the white bugs that i am hoping are springtails and not thrips. are these two bugs able to be identified by there movements alone. they can look similar if hard to see i dont have the best vision. but i can see there movements and how fast they move and there actions. the bugs i have seem to move pretty quick and may even jump a little. not positive of the jumping again bad vision. :)

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Any fliers?

The jumping from springtales looks different in soil than it does in a resivoir. If they get real bad it looks more like a gangbang than jumping.

Are the scorpion bugs silverfish or earwigs?

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

definitely not an earwig. I looked at the silverfish. only one picture i found looked similar. But the silver fish actually looks silver from all the pictures i just looked at. i am in a tent with a silver floor and these black things stand out like a sore thumb. i have seen so few that i cant get a good look i will keep my eye open for anymore and look better.

also just noticed 2 fungus gnats :(

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

These are my bugs! i got pictures with my loupe. anyways i also found some of these little worm looking things. the top soil as dried out by now since my last watering when i origionally noticed these guys. but today with dryer top soil i can't locate any. so im assuming they went down into the moister soil.

good or bad bugs. i have very very few flyers. I have more hanging around my fruit bowl in the kitchen than in my grow room

Photo 2 1
Photo 3 1
Photo 1 2
Photo 4
mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Man sounds like your having a hell of a time

I've never had worms before.

Those pics kinda look like water bugs/roaches now.

Are your plants looking healthier?

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

well i overwatered last time around, i have the claw going on my leaves. (again still getting the hang of soil watering ) still loosing some leaves to yellowing. I have never grown a plant out without adding any nutrients though, and this one was just that. so im wondering if it was lack of nutrients. I do feel that the top and new leaf sets seem healthier than before since my one watering of age old bloom and age old kelp. Just can't tell, im going to wait and see what happens. I have caps beenies on the way so im hoping that will help heal the soil :)

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

another note to this plant. no big leaves at all. either thats its characteristics during veg. Or something else is up. but no decent fan leaves of any sort. Its Royal Hawaiian Kush and i can't find any info whatsoever on this strain to help me out on her

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Dr. OGBlunt, imo, those little crawlers are springtails. there is about 650 different springtail species in the US. ive seen white ones, brown ones, grayish ones... some have a little "spike" on the lower abdomen which can stand up like a "tail" - this is their "anal horn".
Springtails

ugly little fucks, but do not do harm to ur plants. They eat decomposing plant material and other microbes in the soil. they keep a great balance to microbe populations, for the most part, there has been cases where they are too abundant and destroy all micro life within the medium surface - but not common.

as for the worm - just more evidence that your soil is alive and kicking.

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

Awesome! thanks for the info. I want to say they came from the 707 soil i added to the top of this bucket she is in. Im taking it as being good signs. :)

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

The 1st pic of the white lil football shaped jumper is a springtail no worries on them b'cuz I've always had them 2.. The worm & the scorpion tail bug I've never seen b4.. Make sure 2 let that soil dry out b4 u water again.. The caps bennies will take care of any unwanted bug action in ur room..don't 4get 2 spray the leafs with the caps pack tea u brew up.. I foliar spray the tea 100% full strength no need 2 add water 4 foliar spray.. I spray till about week 3 in flower.. Once a week in veg till week 3 in flower that will kill any bugs or mold going on

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

do you just spray with it or is it in your feed water as well

i forgot to mention the foliar pack. Goo's got it on lock! i use the foliar pack in my teas weekly, root drench and foliar spray. its a great fixer and an excellent preventative. if u dont brew teas, just mix 4-5 tsp/gal to unchlorinated h20 and water it in.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

do you just spray with it or is it in your feed water as well
Yes I spray it pure on leafs & dilute it in2 5 gallons of water with about a cup of tea & water my plants once a week.. I don't add food 2 my mix when I water it's juss a tea but I do add worm castings,alfalfa meal, & bat guano (Mexican 4 veg & Jamaican 4 flower) so there is a lil nute action going on.. Cap did say u can use the tea with base nutes but I juss give um plain tea.. In veg it's RO water with 5ml calmag per gal then 3-4 days later it's tea & in bloom it's BioBloom as base then 3-4 days later it's tea.. So I feed once a week & tea once a week.. I keep up on caps tea soil drench till the last 2 weeks in bloom but I stop foliar by week 3 in bloom

Latest posts

Top Bottom