What is this?

• Thread starter Xdell420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Pretty hard to tell with no info and no pics in natural light. I have some ideas but rather not just start guessing.

bpkop

bpkop

Always start with checking your pH.

My tap water was pretty consistently 7.0 and just over the last few months it bounced up to 7.4-7.5 which meant after i mixed my nutes it would barely bring it down to 6.5 most of the times higher around 6.8. But before it spiked up id add just nutes and it would take it down between 5.9-6.3 which meant i never really needed pH solutions to raise/lower it.

Took me a week or two to figure this out because my water had been consistent for years and just recently spiked so i probably havent tested the solution in months. I was also running a new strain and coming off of GG#4 which is a PIG when it comes to nutes. So i figured i was just heavy handed and this strain required less nutes. Backed off for a week did a couple feedings with just SLF-100 and it didnt fully clear up. Thats when i checked my pH. Calibrated my meter and sure enough .4-.5 higher than it ever has been.

Like Aqua Man said though without better light and an idea of your pH and nutrients being fed. I dont know as much about hydro as i do soil(less) systems but from the pictures it looks like both deficiencies and toxicities which usually means your pH is out of whack and is locking out a lot.

Let us know your starting water pH, after nute mix pH. Do you RO your water? Do you have well water or city water? Whats the average temp of the rez?

All of these things can lock out nutrients or in the case of well water raise things like calcium or iron which can further cause lock out especially if youre supplementing with them in your nute mix.

So assuming your other environmental conditions are ok ie. temp/hum/lighting its most likely the pH.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My tap water was pretty consistently 7.0 and just over the last few months it bounced up to 7.4-7.5 which meant after i mixed my nutes it would barely bring it down to 6.5 most of the times higher around 6.8. But before it spiked up id add just nutes and it would take it down between 5.9-6.3 which meant i never really needed pH solutions to raise/lower it.

Took me a week or two to figure this out because my water had been consistent for years and just recently spiked so i probably havent tested the solution in months. I was also running a new strain and coming off of GG#4 which is a PIG when it comes to nutes. So i figured i was just heavy handed and this strain required less nutes. Backed off for a week did a couple feedings with just SLF-100 and it didnt fully clear up. Thats when i checked my pH. Calibrated my meter and sure enough .4-.5 higher than it ever has been.

Like Aqua Man said though without better light and an idea of your pH and nutrients being fed. I dont know as much about hydro as i do soil(less) systems but from the pictures it looks like both deficiencies and toxicities which usually means your pH is out of whack and is locking out a lot.

Let us know your starting water pH, after nute mix pH. Do you RO your water? Do you have well water or city water? Whats the average temp of the rez?

All of these things can lock out nutrients or in the case of well water raise things like calcium or iron which can further cause lock out especially if youre supplementing with them in your nute mix.

So assuming your other environmental conditions are ok ie. temp/hum/lighting its most likely the pH.
Was my thoughts cal/mg possibly ph related either swings less likely or high with lockout. Or possibly need a res change due salinity causing lockout.

Hard to say without info

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
While I agree that this is probably a Overdose/deficiency PH related issue, the one picture that showed a bunch of dots on the leaf... it looked a little like spider mite damage. They can do a lot of damage without it showing until it reaches a certain point, and leaves start to get necrotic and die off, instead of just having some red spots on the fan leaves. I'm not a hydro guy, so I can't offer too much help with the system, just the plants. Good luck!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
While I agree that this is probably a Overdose/deficiency PH related issue, the one picture that showed a bunch of dots on the leaf... it looked a little like spider mite damage. They can do a lot of damage without it showing until it reaches a certain point, and leaves start to get necrotic and die off, instead of just having some red spots on the fan leaves. I'm not a hydro guy, so I can't offer too much help with the system, just the plants. Good luck!
Here is a pic from some spider mite damage. Other than the red dots, there were no other signs. They were almost impossible to see...they make a black pepper speck look huge! The damage started as red dots, but the badly affected leaves turned necrotic and died off, the less infested leaves just showed some unusual leaf discolorations. They are a bitch to get rid of totally. Be careful treating them during flowering, as it can harm the buds and the people smoking them. Search in the forums for the best remedy. I used a Pyrethrin based fogger, but that might not be appropriate during flowering.

20190402 222946
20190402 222957
20190402 223019
Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

Don’t use unfiltered tap water

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Don’t use unfiltered tap water
I wouldn't do an entire res change out with tap that i didn't treat with seachem prime or safe but I do use straight tap for topping up and partial water changes. My tap is only 120ppm and the minimal amount of chloramines/chlorine when topping up or 25% water change I found to have no impact on my bacteria. I can test it by adding tiny amounts of pure ammonia and checking the amount of free ammonia in a couple hours. If its 0 then i know my bacteria have consumed it and they are good. Did many years of aquatics and planted tanks like this. With 25% water changes the chlorine/chloramine levels don't hurt the plants directly. Although higher levels can and will hurt both the plant and beneficial bacteria/fungi that help protect the root systems and that can leave them open to infection. Plants actually use a tiny amount of chlorine as a micro nutrient.

I do agree its not good practice as water sources can vary greatly and better safe than sorry. Unless you know whats in it.

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

I wouldn't do an entire res change out with tap that i didn't treat with seachem prime or safe but I do use straight tap for topping up and partial water changes. My tap is only 120ppm and the minimal amount of chloramines/chlorine when topping up or 25% water change I found to have no impact on my bacteria. I can test it by adding tiny amounts of pure ammonia and checking the amount of free ammonia in a couple hours. If its 0 then i know my bacteria have consumed it and they are good. Did many years of aquatics and planted tanks like this. With 25% water changes the chlorine/chloramine levels don't hurt the plants directly. Although higher levels can and will hurt both the plant and beneficial bacteria/fungi that help protect the root systems and that can leave them open to infection. Plants actually use a tiny amount of chlorine as a micro nutrient.

I do agree its not good practice as water sources can vary greatly and better safe than sorry. Unless you know whats in it.
My tap water is really good but I still choose to filter it at least when I use it

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My tap water is really good but I still choose to filter it at least when I use it
You can never go wrong like that... I on the other hand can wake up one day to find they decided to double the chloramines. They do change our supply a bit in spring and fall but I have been using it so long I can smell the difference and make sure I treat all the water i add even for top ups for those few weeks.

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

You can never go wrong like that... I on the other hand can wake up one day to find they decided to double the chloramines. They do change our supply a bit in spring and fall but I have been using it so long I can smell the difference and make sure I treat all the water i add even for top ups for those few weeks.
Ontario tap water I feel has a lot of shit In it too get rid of all the stuff in Lake Ontario.

X

Xdell420

Thank u all for the tips. You were correct about the ph being off. Can anyone point me to a drain to waste guide? My job is doing the three a light method.

X

Xdell420

Do t know if any of you have heard about three a light there’s a book and app about it

roach

roach

I'm glad I live in a country where I dont have to filter or treat my tap water in any way for it to be safe for me, my plants and my fishes 😁

X

Xdell420

Any idea what this is from? I took a pic of the ph and ppm readings I’m doing pro mix drain to waste method with 1000w hps co2 supplementation as well

789BFD8C BF46 4008 87A9 AD82792D8248
06B59A1D 1623 46A2 AAB4 93B7B377D8D5
75B5B9A9 9674 4ED5 89AA 91BCCCCB5478
2DB11AE1 8BFB 4D4D BD79 3C8DD4C5A3C0
Top Bottom