What is to much light?

• Thread starter Nobodynobody
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

I am wondering and thinking about a new build. Is there such thing as to much light? Like placing 4x1000 over / site flat. Not into MBP or under current systems. Drip is great! how high would the lamps be placed over with that kind of mega light.

Never tryed dirt but the root mass would be vary big. rockwool only gets to big and cost a gang. How big of a potting would be used if I went dirt or hydro?

T

tedsprogz

see the basic equation there? there's a point where its not cost effective for the small gain of photosynthesis. and there a part where you wont gain much of anything(it approaches a asymptote that it will never reach but will infinitely approach...like if you were to keep halving 1) If the line was straight, you could just keep adding lights and the rate would increase by the same increment. now...c02 increases the curve to plateau at a higher rate or photosynthesis(y-axis).

bobby

bobby

This is a great question, but slightly more complicated than you initially think.

We're in the business of maximizing yield per watt and also have to take into consideration work space to reduce the physical hardships of growing. Like bending/crouching all over the place to perform gardening tasks.

When determining lighting, I believe in maximizing lighting overlap. When you space 2 1000 watt lights over a 5x10 area, you will grow more cannabis than someone who spaces those same lights over a 4x8 area. That is a fact, if you both have the same growing skills and equipment/strain.

So I would determine how much room you need to walk around in there. Then determine the best ways to maximize lighting overlap....because those are the areas you can make extra easy money.

To simplify this, just calculate 5x5 areas for each 1000w light. Place the light fixture glass 2-3 feet away from the top of your plant. Anything closer and you will create heat stress, unless you air cool your fixtures.

waayne

waayne

This is from one of Tex Kids threads
This is excellent info regarding this subject

Personally I like to run between 90-130 watts per sq.ft. in flower........

I am sittin watchin this last round of plants just crawl along, not fattin up or finishin like I usually like so start thinkin about other current setups and past setups for answers. So I start figurin my watts per sq.ft on a bunch of my different setups and this what i got..

#1 setup is (2)600w over a 3x3 table or 1200w/ 9 sq.ft. = 133 watts per sq.ft. or 19,556 lumens/sq.ft. with this setup I can easily pull 3-3.25lbs from 9-16 plants on the 3x3.This is my all time favorite setup for yield, density, finish time, potency all that good stuff. Dual bulb hood used in a 3x3 Hydrohut tent.

#2 (1) 1000w over a 3x3 table or 1000w/ 9 sq.ft. = 111 watts per sq.ft. or 16,111 lumens per sq.ft. perfect for single bulb single hood setup and or in a tent.

#3 (3) 1000w over (2) 3x6 tables or 3000w / 32 sq.ft. = 83 watts per sq.ft. or 13,594 lumens per sq.ft.. This setup is on movers and does alright but could use another 1k to really kickit into gear, but overall decent.

#4 (1) 1000w over a 4x4 table or 1000w / 16 sq.ft. = 63 watts per sq.ft. or 9063 lumens per sq.ft. To me this setup is right at the edge of what you need to really kick it out like on a 3x3. I really like the 3x3 tables instead of the 4x4 all the way around.

#5 (2) 1000w over (2)3x6 and (2)3x3 or 2000w per 54 sq.ft. = 37 watts per sq.ft. or 5370 lumens per sq.ft.. This sucks bigtime, movers almost make it more painful because of the shadow dancin..lack of cash has dictated this setup but still it sucks.

#6 (3) 1000w over a 11x14 room on movers or 3000w / 154 sq.ft. or 19 watts per sq.ft. or 2825 lumens per sq.ft. this is at a buddy of mines and he is complaining about yield, density, and finish times. this setup is doin just well enough to piss you off, not really crawlin but not cruizin either. I am tryin to get 6-8k in there for he real kickin flower action.

So I was curious what everybody else was doin and experiencin..

The sun is roughly 100w per sq.ft. full tilt so that is my basic minimum benchmark for my indoor satisfaction..

Mo lumens, mo wattage, mo betta..

Tex

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
When determining lighting, I believe in maximizing lighting overlap. When you space 2 1000 watt lights over a 5x10 area, you will grow more cannabis than someone who spaces those same lights over a 4x8 area. That is a fact, if you both have the same growing skills and equipment/strain.
2 1kw over 50 square feet just doesn't seem like an intense enough light. Out of curiosity how much do you pull per 50sq.ft. with 2kw of light? I can pull 3-4 easily on a 4'x8' area with 2kw.
I'm betting you'll pull even more with 3 1kw over a 4'x12' area; to maximize lighting overlap, wouldn't you want more light overlapping?

bobby

bobby

2 1kw over 50 square feet just doesn't seem like an intense enough light. Out of curiosity how much do you pull per 50sq.ft. with 2kw of light? I can pull 3-4 easily on a 4'x8' area with 2kw.
I'm betting you'll pull even more with 3 1kw over a 4'x12' area; to maximize lighting overlap, wouldn't you want more light overlapping?

On average, 2 lbs per light, so about 4...but I actually only use a 4x10 area, basically creating about 2 extra feet of space between the 2 lights. I recommended 5x10 because I don't see any downsides to having some lesser developed nugs on the outer perimeter. Weight is weight and if I could redo my rooms to 5x10's, I would do it.

Since you only use a 4x8 area, I'm sure your nugs are of higher quality overall due to the more intense light...but for someone who uses a 5x10, they can either mix in the outer, lesser developed nugs into the same lb...or they can separate it. Either way, I don't see how it will make the primary nugs in the primary 4x8 area get any worse...and I doubt someone will ask for a discount due to the slightly less dense nugs mixed in...I doubt anyone could even tell.

With a 5x10, you're getting 10 extra square feet of growing area with decent light..that could be like 20 ounces!

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Well, it's confirmed we are in different worlds. They would yell at me for the not so purty nugs mixed in, those nugs get separated or become concentrates. It makes a huge difference putting in the flarf, whispier, airier nuggets. I know everyone I work with can tell and their eyes go to the ugliest nugs in the bags, not the biggest...

With the attitude that weight is weight, no wonder there is so much substandard out there. Not that you grow substandard but that viewpoint encourages or promotes growing nugs of lesser quality than your better lit nugs. Why not light all your plants up the same and have quality control? Seems the best move in my book. But if I could sell smaller, not so vibrant nugs, maybe I'd do it your way...

waayne

waayne

Bobby you're pumping about 40 watts per sq. ft. on your flowering plants
That amount of wattage produces substandard mids where I come from.......

I am trying to produce the absolute highest quality nugs , not more "weight"

My customers would never go for larfy little airy nugs tossed in with the AAA, that's pretty unscrupulous from my perspective.......

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Man i have been pondering this exact post of TK's for awhile now too,i really wish he would expand on it and give us more insight and info on it.Id like to know what kind of reflectors hes using in examples#2 and #4,I basically run #4 in my first spot 2-1000's in aaws over each 4x8 and avg about a p per 1000 or 1/2 g per watt and id like to get that up to 1g per watt so in TKs example a good first step would be too shrink the tray size to 3x3 per 1k?
I know my yields can be better,im an old outdoor guy new to the indoor deal and learning every day.I have never hit a g per watt yet in about 5 runs indoor but im always changin flavors etc so things are rarely the same over and over.A g per watt is my goal in the new spot im working on as my kid takes over at the old one,id be stoked to double my yield but its hard to beleive i could do that by shrinking my light footprint and you would need a reflector that really focuses on that tight footprint.Anyways thanks to TK and ALL the rest of you guys for always makin my brain spin,the knowledge i gain here is invaluable and im inspired by all you guys in the g+ per watters club,dont tell dankworth though,if his head swells it will just make his buds look smaller,lol,(just kidiing bro,your chemo grows inspire me)

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Wayne and baba,what setups and watts per sq ft are you currently running?

waayne

waayne

fishwhistle my current flower room is running about 110 watts per sq.ft.

I use a combination of 1000 watt Horizontals and Verts

My all time best yields came from a room that was running 130 watts per sq.ft.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
The genetics can help make yields much easier. The indoor is a different perspective on canopy as a bud lower down on a branch on a 10 foot tall plant outdoors can have substantial nugs on it but inside due to the diminishing intensity on the light penetration you have gotta keep your plant canopy not too deep in depth and spread it as evenly as possible to help. I use the 2 1kw per 4'x8' pretty much as my footprint. I rarely ever hit 2 a light, actually have only done so once. I usually hit above 1.5 and most the time above 1.75 but I consistently come in short a qp to 2 oz. below a 2lb per light yield. Anything over 1.5 and I'm happy. I too grow so many different varieties and to help your yield you really do need to pick a winner and dial it!!
A gram per watt is tough...usually needs Co2 and some bud boosting of some sorts...
If you could get your yield to 1.5 a light, I think that's totally doable. Hit me in pm with your feed regiment and watering methods and mediums...etc

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Waayne has a whole diff technique than me, he grows nice big plants but the hybrid lighting he is using(horiz & verts) is key to his methods....

Top Bottom