What is your experience with Elite clones?

• Thread starter ImpulsiveGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Habosabin

Habosabin

Around here it stays too long. They start at 15 and next year its $6g and not worth smoking.
I've never been able to buy the same strain twice. It's just gone bu the next order. Cali here so not sure what the deal is here. There is one big brand that I see that do reoccur which are consistent.

GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

Guys - pheno hunting seeds is not as easy as the above posts are making it seem.

You need a lot of space and time and equipment. You also need to be anal-retentive in your organization, cleaning, and labeling.

You cannot be guaranteed a keeper out of even 100 seeds. If a particular cross has a genotype variation of 64 possible phenotypes (I believe that’s the true #), you would have to pop at least one factor of 64 (128 seeds) to hopefully get a female example of as many phenotypes as possible. Some are dominant, it’s the rare ones that we are putting in the effort for. One pheno hunt took 2 of my rooms five months to complete (seeds - clones - flower cycle - cull males - harvest - clone the favorite mother - 24 plant SOG)

growsince79

growsince79

A good clone is of huge value! it saves you a lot of time and space (compared to trying to find a good pheno/mother via seeds)

Also allows you to mono crop immediately... it's definitely the quickest way to success in a lot of ways...
There's a place in okc where you can buy samples of each clone. Never tried them, but I hear they have fire, clones are $30

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Guys - pheno hunting seeds is not as easy as the above posts are making it seem.

You need a lot of space and time and equipment. You also need to be anal-retentive in your organization, cleaning, and labeling.

You cannot be guaranteed a keeper out of even 100 seeds. If a particular cross has a genotype variation of 64 possible phenotypes (I believe that’s the true #), you would have to pop at least one factor of 64 (128 seeds) to hopefully get a female example of as many phenotypes as possible. Some are dominant, it’s the rare ones that we are putting in the effort for. One pheno hunt took 2 of my rooms five months to complete (seeds - clones - flower cycle - cull males - harvest - clone the favorite mother - 24 plant SOG)
It all depends on the individual’s standards but I agree if you are trying to see everything a strain has to offer you gotta do it right it’s why guys get the money they do for cuts. BUT some folks get the same cuts for next to nothing I personally will never pay big bucks for cuts but I’ve gotten lucky and run several elites. Clones are a necessity if your trying to do production

growsince79

growsince79

It all depends on the individual’s standards but I agree if you are trying to see everything a strain has to offer you gotta do it right it’s why guys get the money they do for cuts. BUT some folks get the same cuts for next to nothing I personally will never pay big bucks for cuts but I’ve gotten lucky and run several elites. Clones are a necessity if your trying to do production
If you want everything a strain has to offer plant 1 million seeds. LOL Seriously though, If you buy a pack of ten seeds and at least 2-3 out of 10 females isn't a keeper you need to find a different breeder.

3 balls

3 balls

Very well said!!! I often think that we in this awesome forum community/the admin are missing the opportunity to share and or promote any legit producers of these cuts. Something like Strainly which I don't trust for a second but they have buyer feedback ratings etc. I know there's been a few on here which I wont mention by name. One was so damn obnoxious I just couldn't bring myself to deal with and the current option lost interest or something and wont reply anymore.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a source on here that we could rate our experiences with and pay a reasonable but fair price for all their efforts, not berating their prices because we understand how much work goes into it and not everybody has a clone store in their city or state on every corner, where you can buy a clone of god knows what your getting for $20?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
If you want everything a strain has to offer plant 1 million seeds. LOL Seriously though, If you buy a pack of ten seeds and at least 2-3 out of 10 females isn't a keeper you need to find a different breeder.
+1. the only exception i see to this is if there's a particular cut of a strain that helps an individual in a way that no other strain does. even then, through a solid phenohunt of some regular genetics, or personal chucking, one can likely get pretty damn close to what they need without shelling out a mortgage payment for literally a cutting off a plant. this shit ain't rose bushes or apple trees people.

a healthy mother plant literally replenishes clone stock within a couple weeks, it doesn't take years of cultivation under highly controlled parameters to produce those cuttings, unlike apple trees and rose bushes. there is no rootstock grafting or other time-consuming processes involved. it's pretty damn easy to keep mother plants happy and healthy, and even easier to take a pair of scissors to her, and less than two weeks to create a new plant from a cut.

it's simply not worth what people want to say it's worth. if anyone wants to pay me $500 for a cut off one of my mother plants right now, and in two weeks i'll take another $500 of your money for another cut just to drive this idea home.

growsince79

growsince79

+1. the only exception i see to this is if there's a particular cut of a strain that helps an individual in a way that no other strain does. even then, through a solid phenohunt of some regular genetics, or personal chucking, one can likely get pretty damn close to what they need without shelling out a mortgage payment for literally a cutting off a plant. this shit ain't rose bushes or apple trees people.

a healthy mother plant literally replenishes clone stock within a couple weeks, it doesn't take years of cultivation under highly controlled parameters to produce those cuttings, unlike apple trees and rose bushes. there is no rootstock grafting or other time-consuming processes involved. it's pretty damn easy to keep mother plants happy and healthy, and even easier to take a pair of scissors to her, and less than two weeks to create a new plant from a cut.

it's simply not worth what people want to say it's worth. if anyone wants to pay me $500 for a cut off one of my mother plants right now, and in two weeks i'll take another $500 of your money for another cut just to drive this idea home.
"A fool and his money are soon parted."
Thomas Tusser in Five Hundred Points of Good Husbandry, 1557.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

It all depends on your definition of a keeper. Everything I grow is good my confirmation bias makes it so but I’m looking for exceptional coming from someone who held the original clone only BD for years, who’s only problem was getting to fing big, its probably gonna be a never ending hunt. Lol

3 balls

3 balls

True. My standard is if it's better than any of the 500 stores have, it grows fast and never gets disease or mold, and everyone loves it- its a keeper. LOL I don't hardly ever even make clones anymore. Got thousand of seeds that are all good. 10 females will make 9 keepers.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
hey man, there's obviously a market for people selling clones from a green plant. figure if they're doing it, why not capitalize a little on it too? bidnezz and all that.
I hear what you're saying. The legal and grey markets are polluted with scheisters of questionable legitimacy ripping people off for ridiculous profit margins. I won't argue that. And fast forwarding to 2021, I likely wouldn't trust paying big money for a clone. I also wouldn't trust paying big money for seeds either for that matter. If we are talking about huge ripoffs.. you can pull thousands of seeds from a relatively small plant and people are flipping them for $100-200 or more for a pack of 10. That to me is equally nuts. As a primarily clone only grower, I would much rather pay someone I trust for a known clean cutting of what I know I want. But realistically, not $500, or even $100 for that matter.

In most cases here over the years where strains have cost in the hundreds of dollars to aquire, it's because it was controlled by organized crime and you weren't paying for the plant, you were paying for the privilege of growing that plant under strict conditions. It was more of a business deal than anything.
But those days too are coming to an end here with schmegalization.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
A good clone is of huge value! it saves you a lot of time and space (compared to trying to find a good pheno/mother via seeds)

Also allows you to mono crop immediately... it's definitely the quickest way to success in a lot of ways...
Ya that’s kinda what I’m going for. This grow is dedicated for the market and at my house that I live at the most I’m running different strains for my own consumption. I’m still not doing large scale hunts just popping some seeds of different strains trying to find what I like and also maybe something I can keep around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom