what is your favorite ballast

• Thread starter topcat76239
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

topcat76239

time to re-up again and I would like to ask for everyone to share their opinion on what the current best 1000 watt ballast is and why.

I have only used magnetic coil ballasts and now there are so many options out there for ballasts I find that my knowledge is now quite dated. I did notice the quantum thread and dont mean to repost another ballast thread but this is a different, broader question..

so, please share your opinions and experiences.

thanks

edit: oops, sorry I scroll down now and see additional threads that I somehow missed. extremely medicated right now its the sour diesel what can I say? this is a smoking related site after all.. lol... so if you still want to chime in I appreciate it nontheless but don't want anyone to feel like a broken record just let the silence speak for you, apologies for spammish topic

T

tomsawyer

Now I feel like a broken record but this is my experience. I am so puzzled why they aren't mentioned here more. GGL or Global Greenhouse Lighting has been here in humboldt for like 5 years. THey have had some ups and downs but they are now solid units for sure.I know lot's of people that run them 90% of people here running digitals run GGL.

I have met their reps and they have had alot of experience with the problems of digital ballasts like Cooling Fans. The top brands no longer have cooling fans as they were causing problems with humidity inside the unit. Also they now have the lamp socket on a whip to dissipate heat.

Recently I have started using their Lamps that are specifically engineered for digitals. I met the engineer myself at a trade show and the guy was really nice and knowledgeable. Told me lots about bulbs, wish I could remember all of it.

T

topcat76239

thanks for feedback on CGL indeed I have never even heard of them.

in regards to your bulb comment, general consensus for digital ballasts seems to be digilux or sunpulse depending on your budget.. think it has to do with higher frequency

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Fuck Digital lamps. Stick with what works and is proven, Magnetic Coil Ballasts last for years.
You wonder why so many people are burning out there bulbs in digital type compared to magnetic type? The Hertz rating.
I know for sure I can fix a Magnetic Coil ballast in about ten minutes if that. Electronic I would have no clue, most you cannot open.
This is why I am for Magnetic Coil over Digital style Ballasts and always will.

Also I swear the OP works for that company or is a Rep for them. I never heard of that company in my life untill he posted about them. And then he say's that 90% of us on here use there Ballasts. I call Bull Shit!!!

I

ibTheMan

Lumatek, there sealed (no cooln fan to bring in moisture), have output adjustment, and EZ warranty exchange, more output with less electric then magnetic, bulbs have higher output over a longer time, everything is better about digitals.
ive had 15 at least and Never one failure.

T

tomsawyer

Also I swear the OP works for that company or is a Rep for them. I never heard of that company in my life untill he posted about them. And then he say's that 90% of us on here use there Ballasts. I call Bull Shit!!!

What I meant was 90% of indoor growers in Humboldt using Digital Ballasts are using GGL. When I said "here" I meant the real "here" not the virtual "here". Ask anyone in this county and they will know the ballast. I am puzzled why they aren't discussed on the forums much. Must not be many Humboldt Growers around "here"

backpackballer

backpackballer

lumatek duel 600s all the way. love um. never had one burn out! used the quantum's for a while but had issues. the lumatek on amp/wattage compaired to lumen output they are tops

L

lowroller

I have used digital greenhouse from htg for yrs.. over 30 of them.
never had any issues what so ever. best price for a top quality unit as well.
check em out!

sedate

sedate

topcat said:
I have only used magnetic coil ballasts and now there are so many options out there for ballasts I find that my knowledge is now quite dated. I did notice the quantum thread and dont mean to repost another ballast thread but this is a different, broader question..

so, please share your opinions and experiences.

I like to keep it simple, effective, and price-effective -

Sun Systems Harvest Pro 1000w Switchables - I typically get these at something like $160 a piece.

It takes quite awhile for that extra $200 or so to be made back by the efficiency of a digital ballast - so unless you are running a pretty massive grow, I don't have alot of enthusiasm for digital ballasts - they really just don't offer the ROI.

ibTheMan said:
more output with less electric then magnetic, bulbs have higher output over a longer time, everything is better about digitals.

Digital ballasts are not brighter. They offer better efficiency and, in some cases, signifcantly better bulb-life over a longer period of time - but, bulb for bulb, they are absolutely not brighter.

lowroller said:
I have used digital greenhouse from htg for yrs.. over 30 of them.
never had any issues what so ever.

I won't deal with HTG, but I've had a pair of Digital Greenhouse 600w ballasts that have served well, in continuous use, for nearly two years now.

K

KBzombie

Been using my NextGen 1000's with Ushios for a couple of years now, no problems!!

P

paulycali

GALAXY Select-A-Watt!!!!

Sick ass ballasts

Whichever one you can get cheaper:

Galaxy
Quantum
Lumatek

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Now ask this question, how many using Digital Ballasts have had to ever replace bulbs to blowing out? Ask people that use the Magnetic Core type Ballasts and see how many of there bulbs burnt out while in use?
Most bulbs do not work in standard Coil ballasts. The Hertz rating on a Mag Coil ballast is around 60 Hertz, in a Digi Ballast they run up to 200 Hertz. That is why there is alot of Digi Ballast users wondering why the hell there bulbs are blowing.

And to Tomsawer I am sorry about blasting you like that. AFter reading it a few times I see what you are saying and should of then.

B

billybadazz

I use digital ballasts(6 600's 3 1000's , 2 lumatek 1000's 1 galaxy 1000 and 4 galaxy 600's and burn out bulbs every 6 months with them......I'd care except I got a 1 year warranty on the life of the bulb, and lets see I bought exactly 0 bulbs in the last 3 1/2 years cuz the hydro shop just keeps replacing them.....if they don't mind I don't mind!!

JollyGreen

JollyGreen

I have some hypotek dimmable digital 600's for $140.00 each shipped to my door, with 5 year warranty (3 full, 2 pro rated). They run cold to the touch, I was impressed. I also have a quantum 600 and an older lumatek 600 with out the dim option. And the hypotek runs the coolest from all of the three. I was shocked, I didn't know they would run this well. And for the price I like them even more. With the money I saved I've could of bought another one for a few dollars more. If your on a budget and want some quality stuff, I recommend this ballast.

M

mrdizzle

ive rocked lumateks and nextgens, best ballast I've ever used is powerhouse mag, havent found a single advantage with the digi only their lite

T

tomsawyer

Careful judging a ballasts operating temp by touch. The heat sink on the outside is pulling heat away from the components. This could be deceiving if you feel a hot ballast that is doing its job well

nebulius

nebulius

I have some hypotek dimmable digital 600's for $140.00 each shipped to my door, with 5 year warranty (3 full, 2 pro rated). They run cold to the touch, I was impressed. I also have a quantum 600 and an older lumatek 600 with out the dim option. And the hypotek runs the coolest from all of the three. I was shocked, I didn't know they would run this well. And for the price I like them even more. With the money I saved I've could of bought another one for a few dollars more. If your on a budget and want some quality stuff, I recommend this ballast.

I have the 600w switchable hypotek. First one I bought the internal fan didn't turn on as it should always be on, which i did not know, and needless to say it got very hot. The hydro store swapped it out for a new one and I haven't had any problems since. I really like this ballast it runs very cool and is extremely quiet.

Top Bottom