What kind of drywall?

• Thread starter Mr.
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mr.

I am insulating and drywalling the garage and was curious if i should buy the mold resistant or other varieties of drywall.

The plan is to use 1/2 inch regular drywall.

Also the gap in my ceiling for the insulation is 9 inches. There is not a 9 inch insulation available to me, R-25 is less than 9. So can I use R-30 the ten inch insulation and smash it in the extra inch? Any possible downsides to that?

This is going to be a 10 lighter with the Under Current Evolution 13gal 18XXL

Papa

Papa

Supporter
yes, there is a downside to smashing the insulation. use R-25. put green drywall on the walls and white on the ceiling.

there is a discussion regarding green/white in one of TF's threads about six months ago.

Papa

vaporedout

vaporedout

i used the mold/fire resistant..... although i got PM, im pretty sure it wasnt the drywall fault. whats the diff with green being on the sides?? arent ya gonna paint em?

C

cindy99 king

i would use std1/2 drywall(or here in australia gyprock) and paint it with mold resistant paint.

dentonland

dentonland

the green is more water/mold resistant. ITs called greenboard... wonder why..haha.. I like an oil based paint also.. definitely better to wipe with sponges. etc. like in bathrooms, kitchens

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

good info guys the things i never thought about and i'm hoping to outfit my next spot ground up and picking the type of drywall never crossed my mind.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

You should be fine with oil based paint and regualr drywall unless you're in a humid area. It works in the mountains but it may not work for your basement on the gulf coast.

J

Jalisco Kid

You can sometimes get 5/8" cheaper. You might consider putting down some sound board first. I use an exterior paint that does not need a primer. JK

M

Mr.

Ok, I went with the 1/2 inch regular drywall for walls and ceiling. Once I tape it up and mud it I am going to cover the walls and ceiling in panda plastic without painting or sanding.

C

ClimateControl

Hope all is Well Mr

Hope everything went well with picking up those Shinco Mini Splits, looks like your doing a fresh build, hope you post pics later

"wonder if motherlode will post a comment under mine about spam??":banana1sv6:

J

Jalisco Kid

I would seal that sheet rock you will be trapping vapor behind the plastic. JK

M

Mr.

Another trip to home depot, yay, but it does make sense. Are there any sealants or paints that i should watch out for as far as toxic off vaporing?

Why is Climate Control banned?

J

Jalisco Kid

HD has an exterior paint that need no primer. 32 a gal. JK

Top Bottom