What kind of hydro system do you have and why?

• Thread starter Calgreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Calgreen

So I'm pretty new here, and I was wondering why you guys chose the type of systems you have. I am currently running a modified drip system on a 4x8 table with a 15 gallon res mainly cos the ease of it all, besides big tangle of hoses I have, which I am going to try and figure something out with that. I thought about switching to a flood and drain bed but thats way to much water for me to deal with, correct me if Im wrong, something like 80 gallons for a 4x8.

B

Budshoteyes

4x8 table is great if you don't like bending! Their for small plants which is ok for fast production and sog.

I like buckets..rwdc...large plants and more yield. I go the extra month with double the yield. To me it's worth it though it takes a bit longer and is a bit crankier!

C

Calgreen

How many plants or buckets are you using and whats your typical yield? Right now I have 21 plants on the table I am expecting to get 1.25 to 1.5. They are to big to be on a table so next time im gonna try some thing different and do a sea of green. One of our biggest plant's stalks broke yesterday from the weight of the plant, good thing were harvesting today! I would post pics but all I have is an Iphone and I read that those arent good to use for posting pictures.

101 Runner

101 Runner

I agree with Budshot buckets are phenomenal. 10 bucket system with two 1000w should yield 3lb of dried fruit. If your not pulling 1lb per 1000w you need to get a new set up.

Bucket systems have come a long way since 99'. LOL But seriously the sick new 1" hosing on the Hydrostore.com system is looking sick! I just got one and am pumped up!

S

smalltime99

Buckets actually make for a great system. They are actually basic to use and produce a great product. They produce faster and as long as you maintain them they will come out great. I had a waterfarm and when I went into my store and the guy was selling a system he was calling the ProGrow, I thought it was clean and looked simple to use. I didn't get ten and only picked up 4 and it is working great so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUiD4zk1qMI&feature=channel_video_title

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm a tinkerer from way back, and I wanted to reverse engineer an Undercurrent system, and add a few tweaks.

Mine is based on 5 gallon buckets- I know, a bit small for some people's taste, but the price was right- FREE!- and I use 1" bulkheads, from ngw. Don't use the CAP ones, they leak. 1" inside diameter hose connects all the buckets together, and I use 3/4" hose from the pump in the tail bucket- this being the main difference between my RDWC and UC- to the head bucket, aka 'epicenter'. So, water flows from my head bucket out several hoses to between two and four rows of 5 gallon buckets, between 12 and 24 in all, and then the hoses connect with the tail bucket, where the pump is. Res. float valve fits into head bucket, as does cooling coil from chiller.

In this way, I can pour water, undiluted nutes, H2O2, or whatever into the tail bucket and it gets mixed/diluted twice before ever entering a growing site. Also, I experimented with a pump switch but found that things ran better continuously.

I get ease of operation, long nutrient life between changeouts, massive growth, and as long as all the parameters are under control, no problems with pathogens. Oh, and did I mention it was a cheap build? I spent less than $300 for a 24 site system, not including chiller.

Not everyone likes to run airstones, but I put one in every bucket. For a 12 site system I use an EcoPlus Eco 5 airpump, 110 liters/minute. For a 24 site system, I run the EcoPlus Eco 7 airpump, 200 liters/minute.

I have and am still learning how to properly use a 30 site ezcloner- slime problems- and I use flood n drain tables for rooted youngsters.

C

Calgreen

Ive heard 1P off a 1000w was good before. I use 2 600s and just harvested and it looks to be about 1.5 maybe more, its still is drying. Is that good for a 4x8, its no gpw but hey. My plants were pretty tall and the light didnt penetrate very deep into the canopy. Im gonna add another 600 on my table next time and grow shorter plants in more of a SoG method, hopefully it will make a big difference.

S

smalltime99

Ya CG I would say that those # are min for 1000w....if you aren't getting at least 1 from a 1000w, something is wrong in the room. If you are looking to get into buckets you should take a look at that system. Make's it easier and helps with control with water temps. It is good to get a grid going and training them in early veg. Then start by taking some of the bottom off to help with growth to the tops.

ST

C

Calgreen

Ya CG I would say that those # are min for 1000w....if you aren't getting at least 1 from a 1000w, something is wrong in the room. If you are looking to get into buckets you should take a look at that system. Make's it easier and helps with control with water temps. It is good to get a grid going and training them in early veg. Then start by taking some of the bottom off to help with growth to the tops.

ST

Nah I dont want to get into buckets. Maybe Ill try them in the future but not now. I wanna get a perpetual SoG going its just taking time.

sedate

sedate

Calgreen said:
mainly cos the ease of it all

^^^^ And that's why I'm a big fan of the classic hydrobucket myself.

I've never been comfortable with the fixed plant sites that are almost always required in a RDWC.

A black PVC bucket, net pot, airstone/pump ... easy peasy.

Worst part is managing a shitload of pH levels - but once you get good at your fert recipes it isn't so bad.

Fuckers can yield like you wouldn't believe:

HolyHydrobucket_055.jpg

HolyHydrobucket_051.jpg

S

steelyeyes

Ebb and Grow, heavily modified. Switched to 3.5 gallon buckets with 8" net pot lids. Plumbed the fill/drain lines to 1" pvc with the original 1/2" hose only to individual buckets. Have a constant flow top drip running along with several flood and drain cycles a day. 10 sites under 2x1000 watts gets 2 lb. minimum. 5 weeks of veg and a full 8-9 weeks in flower and the plants average 4 feet or a bit more tall. Next run I'll experiment with a week less in the veg cycle and see if it impacts yield. I started at 6 weeks and got very tall plants but didn't see a huge amount more weight. Some of that has to do with canopy management and getting light to where it needs to be, etc.

sedate

sedate

steelyeyes said:
I started at 6 weeks and got very tall plants but didn't see a huge amount more weight. Some of that has to do with canopy management and getting light to where it needs to be, etc.

Try vert lighting with larger plants like that.

G

genEric

Here's a strange one

This one blows the mind of everyone swho sees it:

It's a top-feed system. We Scrog 4-5 plants to 10"-12" topped at least twice.

We use 8" square pots with the little diced-up rockwool cubes.

Here is where it gets weird: We run nutes 15 minutes on 45 mins off. Run-of into res for the next trip through the pots.

We have to cover the entire table with Hydroton as we end up with a 4' by 4' inch-thick mat of roots.

Everyone says "You're over watering! They're gonna drown! It's all wrong!" but you know what? It's worked like a champ since 1987.

Until quite recently we fed 24/7. Due to high humidity at night we've stopped night feeding to no adverse effects.

It all started back in '87 and that's how the grow shop guy told us to do it so that's how we did it. It's always rocked for us so if it ain't broke why fix it? We've tried bubblers but didn't care ofr it so no more of that noise. Of course we flower the occasional tapped-out mother in soiless mix but otherwise this our go-to technique.

I have a feeling I'm gonna get flamed for this one and someone is gonna tell me the same as above: "You're doing it ALL wrong" but until I see a sign over over-watering, etc, we're not changing a thing.

A $40 plywood table on some milk crates, covered with Vis-queen, 7
gallon res, pump, 6' of 1" tubing and 1/4" feeders. We don't even use drip stakes. Just jam the tube in the up-hill side of the pot, secure with a clothespin, and let her rip. Drains through a screen back into the res causing lots of bubbles, and all is well.

I can scare up a few pics if anyone is interested...

On a side note: I'm sick of buying hydrotom that does nothing but cover our root-mass and due to a new furnace at the bloom room the wide-open table is acting like a big oil' humidifier. Great in the summer when it's hot but not good with our cooler nighttime temps.

I just built a new top feeder out of 5" vinyl square fence post. 2 5' length, 5 3.75" net pots in each total=ten. These sit, at the low end, on top of the res and drain straight down, again splashing to makes lots of bubbles. The far end is a few degrees higher. PVC manifold in the middle between each leg using 1/4 feeder line to a stake in each net pot.

I think, since this sytem is closed, we're only gonna feed for 15 mins maybe 5-6 times a day. Waiting for some clones to pop roots so i can get this thing fired up.

It's a "modular" system as it is easy to add another leg and, when it's time to flip from veg to bloom (at a different location), each leg lifts right up and out and will drop in to an identical system, yet to be built, at the flowering location. No tools- can be up and on the road in two mintutes. Easy to sanitise after each run and is plug-and-play. No transplant shock whatsoever. Clones in rockwool will drop into the net pots full of rockwool and there they will stay until finish. I can transport the plants, in legs of 5, without disturbing them whatsoever.

Can't wait to run it. Looks very similar to the aeroponic jobs you seen in the grow stores except instead of paying $450 I built ours, including pump, for $100.

Pics on request. They won't be good pics as my good phone is doa but they'll get the idea across.

Looking forward to hearing the comments on our "over-watered" table!

Peace and good growing,

-genEric

Pics added to my User Galery

S

smalltime99

How long does it take you to build all that? That is one thing that always makes me lol on the forums is that people never count for there time?? I like my free time.... I have built my own DIY many times....as I got older I wanted it to become more of an ease than a job. I went with this new system this time and enjoying the ease of it. I really suggest taking a look at the ProGrow.
http://www.thehydrolife.com/pages/the-progrow

G

genEric

How long does it take you to build all that? That is one thing that always makes me lol on the forums is that people never count for there time?? I like my free time.... I have built my own DIY many times....as I got older I wanted it to become more of an ease than a job. I went with this new system this time and enjoying the ease of it. I really suggest taking a look at the ProGrow.
http://www.thehydrolife.com/pages/the-progrow

Takes about an hour to slap a table together every ten years or so.

My fence-poster takes about two hours.

I enjoy every minute of it. I'm growing older, too, and as I do I guess I'm headed in the opposite direction; I like doing it myself as I'm chilling out , kickin' back, and watchin' the grass grow :-)

Those high-dollar rigs DO look good bein' all shiny and new. One day and for the same money I can put together a 100 plant fence poster.

I guess it all boils down to time available, money to burn, skill set, and priorities.

Stay green,

-genEric

Pics added to my User Gallery

sedate

sedate

Generic said:
Those high-dollar rigs DO look good bein' all shiny and new. One day and for the same money I can put together a 100 plant fence poster.

I guess it all boils down to time available, money to burn, skill set, and priorities

Yea those fucking multi-thousand dollar systems make me shake my head too.

You know - it's been a few years but I remember seeing a system almost exactly like that - the creator called it the "space shuttle" and claimed 2lbs/month on each fence post off a 2kw system.

Nice setup there generic.

G

genEric

Yea those fucking multi-thousand dollar systems make me shake my head too.

You know - it's been a few years but I remember seeing a system almost exactly like that - the creator called it the "space shuttle" and claimed 2lbs/month on each fence post off a 2kw system.

Nice setup there generic.

Thanks. I'll be dropping five Burmese Kush (in rockwool bits) into the fence-poster in a day or three. Gotta pick up some bleach and do a full sanitization of it to remove any pathogens and any nasties from the production of the materials. I'll take some pics along the way with my phone cam. It's better than nothing. Just waiting for a more solid root bed under my clones before I move 'em in to the fence post...

Trying to sort out my feeding schedule as it is going to be much different than our table. Since the fence post is enclosed we'll have much less (almost none) evaporation and it will take much longer for the top of the pots to dry out a bit so I'll probably hand-feed for the first two weeks to establish a solid feel for what it likes.

I'm thinking I'm gonna start at 5 or 6 15-minute feedings a day and bump it up or down depending on how the plants/roots like it. They'll be topped at least twice, trained out wide and flat for 3-5 weeks, flipped over to the bloom room, placed under the trellis on the old table, and my finisher will be busy as heck tucking and training for the first three weeks. As we move deeper into the rotation he'll end up converting to the fence-posters as well once I have it dialed-in. Finally, after twenty-some years, we'll get rid of that big ugly plywood table aka "room humidifier" and we'll be self-contained in fence post from beginning to end.

Or at least that's how the plan goes. I'm sure reality will be VERY different!

Re: Shiny new gear:

The local mom & pop grow shop is trying to sell "The Terminator" a store-built 12 site aeroponic/flood & drain behemoth for just under a grand. Light(s) extra. Same schtick about multi-Lbs every month.

It's turning yellow from sitting in the window for the past two years. If he'd price it around $450-$500 it would sell and he'd still put a few bucks in his pocket. I guess he figures that it doesn't eat much, it's paid-for, and eventually some noob will come along and buy it. He's probably right.

It's kind of funny, in a sad way, because he has ONE plant in it. Some rhododendron <sp> or some other easy-to-grow houseplant and it's barely alive. He's got this HUGE monstrosity chugging along flooding and fogging and looking all cool with valves and floats and yadda yadda yadda and way down there at the end is this one little tiny washed-out sprig of pale green hanging on for dear life.

Since my state has gone medical it's gotten really fun to watch. Lots of "only used for one grow" gear available on the cheap as 95% of the growers in this state have 2 years experience or less. Lots of folks shooing the wad on all new gear, discovering that it ain't all gravy, and before you know it they've got it listed in the paper for a dime on the dollar. Some GREAT deals to be had if you don't need it today...

Since I've completely lost the topic and will probably get spanked I better shut it down so...

Ramble Mode=/Off

Stay green all!

-GenEric

sedate

sedate

generic said:
Since my state has gone medical it's gotten really fun to watch. Lots of "only used for one grow" gear available on the cheap as 95% of the growers in this state have 2 years experience or less. Lots of folks shooing the wad on all new gear, discovering that it ain't all gravy, and before you know it they've got it listed in the paper for a dime on the dollar. Some GREAT deals to be had if you don't need it today...

Yea you get the drill. Same deal here in Denver for sure.

Market is flooding with below average shit (weed and old equipment :))from growers dropping dime on gobs of Hydrofarm plug-and-play gear - play "follow the grow journal" and thinking they are fucking genuises. Then they can't sell the average shit in the flooded market - get tired of it - and dump the gear.

You know - back to your earlier post - you mentioned skill set and priorities - it is like - a couple of years ago you actually needed know-how for this shit.

Like - rigging up Regent security lighting with fucked up coils that eat 500w to power a 250w HPS - building carbon filters out of laundry baskets - running your own 240v circuit .... getting big time and raiding the construction site for those big HPS's - converting from 480v 3-phase to something you can actually plug into your circuit breaker - I mean this took real fucking engineering and real fucking brains.

Those are the guys growing the top shelf today and being forced to give it away at 180 ..

:puke

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
As long as you top feed you can water the shit out of rock wool. 24/7 no problem. Keeps the plants flushed. No possibility of salt build up.

Tank333

Tank333

I just picked up my 24 site Flo-N-Grow system by Sentinel Controllers. I'm REALLY excited to see how well this works.

I've only done a couple plants in DWC so far, and we found that its difficult to do more than three or four plants at once. When the plants get bigger, its difficult to do rez changes, and change/check the ph too.

We're hoping that the 55 gallon rez will be easier to check the PH with. I'm also hoping it will be low maintenance. Just set it and go...

Top Bottom